Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Haven't played the Up but got Home on a whim when it came out and it's still one of my favourite games of the last 10 years. Developed by Reflections I think? Who have history as a developer before being an arm of Ubisoft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is that not only after you find them though? You still actualyl have to seek them out with only your orienteering skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think you're right as there was no markers when I was playing. I used to zoom into caves(or what ever they are called) when on the towers to mark them so I could find them when I was back on the ground.

These are quests I haven't completed yet. All have blinking yellow dots.

• Advertisement

This is one of the shrine quests I haven't completed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are they not active quests?

I do have a recollection that the game tried to steer you to the villages at the start which I promptly ignored.

Yeah you select a quest and there's a yellow blinking dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

A lot of the map markers in BotW actually just lead you back to where you picked the quest rather than telling you where to go, as I discovered to my pain clearing out all the quests in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭a2deden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I thought Skyrim was as dull as dishwater. The dungeons in the game might as well have been procedurally-generated. No rhyme or reason. No interesting challenge. Just a few Draugrs and things to slash your way through. And the lore. My god, the lore.

Zelda games, on the other hand, usually feel like there's thought put into every nook and cranny. The dungeons are meticulously constructed, like a large clockwork mechanism. Each dungeon typically introduces a new item to your arsenal which alters the way you play the game. Rooms often contain specific puzzles and challenges, which keep things interesting and give you a sense of satisfaction at progressing.

I still think semi-open world is preferable to full-open world. There's just too much empty space in the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

BOTW, climbing and rain: I'd fast travel somewhere else if it started raining, do some stuff there and come back. Or find another way. There was nothing blocking progress.

The climbing is a game in BOTW all by itself. Learning how to climb and navigate vertically while managing stamina to reach a rewarding goal or vista made it challenging. Then you could paraglide from the top and spot something else to investigate.

Then you get extra stamina wheels, clothes, power ups, physics hacks, so that vertical travel is no longer an issue or has become a PITA.

In AC Odyssey it was freeing not to worry about any of this. But then vertical surfaces just became like horizontal ones, with no challenge or reward. Also zero damage when falling from an infinite height after level 20 made the mountains etc seem pointless with no danger, challenge or reward. I did fell sorry when the horse died from such heights. But he's alive 5 seconds later again. All these things kill the immersion in a game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think in BOTW once you stumble across a shrine it'll get added to your map. Once you find someone giving a quest there'll be a dot for the start of the quest. There are map markers for the divine beasts, and there's a map marker to go the village after you leave the plateau to get the divine beast quest. But then that is it. Everything else you have to find yourself. If a quest tells you to go somewhere you've to figure out where it is.

Even with the divine beasts you have to figure out how to get there. Not just the direction, but you need to figure out how to survive the hot areas etc.

BOTW was a mixed bag for me. The complete lack of direction was a struggle for me, once you paraglided off the plateau it directed you to a village to get the main quest and then that was it really. Figure everything else out by yourself. I hated the weapon breaking.

Personally, I prefer games with a bit more direction. This was the first Zelda game I played which didn't help. Don't know how anyone completed this game without doing a lot of Googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Pops back in for a peek ... people still arguing about BoTW ... pops back out.

All I can say is most, but not all, of my current quests have map markers. I have loads of unfinished quests, shrine, side and main.

So to say there are no, or only a few map markers is simply false.

You can like the game or hate the game all you want, but I can only report what I see with my eyes.

The map markers for the quest bring you to the person who gave you the quest. They are not for progressing the quest. There are no map markers for progression in BOTW (other than the 4 divine beasts being marked), which is what people mean when they say no markers.

Shrines also don't show on the map until you find them. That's the whole point of them.

I had to check because you're making doubt my own eyes.

I picked a random side quest, I had to meet some guy. It was clearly marked on the map (see the mini map in the shot) and lo and behold, the guy is right where the map said he would be. Note, I haven't started this quest yet.

I honestly don't care what you say at this point. That's a quest, with a map marker to meet a guy and the marker leads directly to him.

Hand wave all you like, lads. But there are map markers in the fecking game. 😂

Edit: The shrine quests do have map markers, but are only hints of an area rather than the actual location. So main quests and side quests have markers that actually point to the location, shrine quests have hint markers.

I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I used to love the older AC games where there had to be specific indents or ledges to climb up. It did occasionally make things wonky where you'd end up jumping away from the wall infrequently but it was worth it for with the more realistic parkour. The latest versions where, as you say, you can just climb up any surface whatsoever are awful. There's no more challenge to even getting to the highest heights where there used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its nearly getting to the point now, where the forum is going to have to have a sticky clarifying whether or not BOTW has markers or not.

Just sticky my last post.

A few weeks ago it was zero map markers.

Then it was a few map markers, but only the main quest.

Now I'm providing photographic evidence of side quests with direct map markers.

• Advertisement

And that's just all strawman arguments when the real discussion was whether the lack of direction in BotW was a good or bad thing. I don't think there's any argument about whether BotW gives less direction than every other open world game that follows the ubisoft model. That was the actual discussion which took a turn into pedantry about map markers. Freely admit I was wrong about map markers, I hadn't played the game since release, but the map markers also act differently to other open world games, being a location marker for something you've worked hard to discover rather than a just telling the plater where to go or where a side objective is.

Ok, I agree that BOTW holds your hand less than Ubisoft games.

Great, we finally resolved it! 😄

What's the lore of Zelda again? You save a princess from an evil pig?

😄

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well that's a bit of a weird one.

Really hope sony decide to put them to work on something not destiny related and actually interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jesus, an i really out of touch with the money behind games or is destiny really worth 3.6bil? Destiny 3 incoming I suppose?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd say the chances of that are slim and none, unfortunately.

So Microsoft now own the guys who made Crash Bandicoot, and Sony now own the guys who made Halo. Some world.

Bungie also the first studio to be owned by both Microsoft and Sony at some point in their history?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the game's well put together, I'd take that premise to start with. I'll always prefer a game with tight gameplay and a basic plot over a game with boring gameplay and endless mediocre exposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saw on Reddit and nicely summed up "xbox and Playstation are watching too much Cobra Kai".

Advertisement