Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

The point is can overlap - not all overlap yet the increment level is kept - its protectionism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What? No, it isn't. A school-leaver, someone finishing college, whatever, comes in and starts off at the first point on the CO, EO, AO or HEO scales. Someone already an EO and at the top of the scale gets a promotion and rather than losing pay, they move to the next highest point on the HEO scale. That applies at all the lower level grades - it's not until APO level that there's no longer an overlap. Someone with experience from the private sector can choose to go for a competition and come in as an EO, HEO, APO or even higher, in the knowledge they'll start at the first point on the scale. They can decide for themselves if they're worth that pay (and amount of leave, and no more bonuses, but better job protection), or if they'd be better off staying in the private sector. Thousands do it every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ogcio don't want people bringing laptops to work from what I've heard.

The risk of one being left on a bus is too high so they need to sort out office workstations again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

Has anyone in the civil service asked if the public (reminder the people who they are supposed to be serving), views on civil servants WFH? I don't want my tax, financial or personal affairs to be shared around some house share a CO is working in.

Worryingly not one post in this thread considering this view.

TBH, I can't see how the civil service can work from home at all between unmotivated staff, a disruptive and litigious culture which would be a Health and Safety nightmare to contain and the above privacy concerns.

I see Varadkar was smart enough to frame the proposed Rights in the employers favour.

you get a vote, use it any way you like.

every time you post on this topic you show yourself up.

I'm frequently embarrassed for you.

• Advertisement

Oh ok, that's a novel way of thinking about things I suppose. Completely ignore the very valid points I raised (and I'm no expert, you can be sure those behind the scenes are also raising them) and use deflection.

You can't see a situation where Bridie the CO upends herself on the laptop cable returning to her a desk with a coffee and her twittering colleagues gathering round encouraging her to sue? Your risk analysis skills is very poor I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Our place are offering 90% maximum working from home which works out at once every fortnight in the office. The only inflexibility is you wont get to chose which day this is. I imagine the preference for most people would be Mondays or Fridays. On another positive if we need to come in for a week for training this will cover us for ~2 months working from home.

Some may be granted 100% WFH depending on circumstances and operational needs. There is 1 person out of 150 who wants to be in the office full-time and they will need to be accommodated.

WFH has been such a success we are hiring an additional 50 people which means more internal promotions at EO & HEO level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Customer/client focus rarely impinges in WFH discussions, either public or private sector.

I'm sick of having to research stuff for people who don't use the internet, because departments have slashed their public counters.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

That's great to hear. What department are you with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

This is great step, which department if you don’t mind ?

• Advertisement

@salonfire

TBH, I can't see how the civil service can work from home at all between unmotivated staff, a disruptive and litigious culture which would be a Health and Safety nightmare to contain and the above privacy concerns.

And yet we've somehow managed it for coming up to two years now. 😉

Of course you can't see it. Because you are completely clueless about how the civil service actually operates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's interesting how thought has shifted among civil servants on wfh.

I get to deal with people across the various departments at all grades.

Some had a tough time at the beginning with the isolation but generally the concensus is that it's a good thing and works well.

Oh come on! Are you really going to say there won't ever be cases where the employee trips over a cluttered desk and won't try to sue the Government? What steps are civil servants taking at home to secure data from house mates? GDPR is a real thing you know and not a fairy tale.

Scary that in a thread full of civil servants these potential stumbling blocks are not even mentioned so much as in passing.

Oh I am sure there will be. In both public and private sector employments.

What I don't really see is how it is relevant to this discussion, which you keep trying to pull off topic with your inane comments.

By the way, I've dealt with a bank, an insurance company and my house alarm monitoring company all over the phone this week - and all their employees were working from home (says so in the recorded message you get before they transfer the call to the next available staff member).

Maybe I should have hung up and insisted those company employees should all return to office based working before I renewed my home insurance or divulged anything personal. 😏

Those companies don't have my tax affairs or my PPSN

You sure about that? 😉

But anyway, I'm not going to indulge your inane nonsense any further. I'd rather let the thread get back on topic.

JFC. Are you for real?

What "unmotivated staff" would these be? What "disruptive and litigious culture" are you talking about? Can you point to any recent reports of court cases involving public servants suing their employers for (presumably) health and safety breaches at home? And how do those case numbers stack up against private sector employees doing the same?

Civil and public servants have been WFH for two years now. Productivity hasn't dropped! It's actually increased, in many cases. Your financial affairs are already being accessed in someone's house, because bank, insurance, financial advisors and tax consultant staff have all also been WFH these past two years.

Oh - and we've all received training on GDPR and data protection, with a focus on WFH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

All Rev auditors have, and a lot more besides, and they've had laptops out of offices for years.

They've also got proper security, protocols, internal checks and governance in place.

As with most things, it's for other Depts to follow Revenue and DEASP lead as they're always at the coalface. And they will follow. Most are flying.

These issues have been raised countless times on the WFH thread. Old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AP2021

"How could you possibly secure personal data from home" is a fairly hilarious argument for those of us who've been doing it from home for two years now.

It's also precisely the kind of spurious argument that would have been used by managers terrified of change had it not become the only option. Those arguments are gone now.

For those of us dealing with sensitive personal data little changed. Our team already went all digital with such data to avoid any breaches. The procedure for preventing your spouse, kids, or roommates from accessing it is the same as in the office - you access it only when at your computer and lock the computer when you're not at it. It's not like in the office I could have such information lying around on my desk or leave a database open while I wandered away.

Oh good. Then you'll be able to tell us how to secure your wireless router. Let's hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Abcdefg1234567

Can you please start a new thread so we can keep this one on topic?

For everyone else actually interested in this thread, it's pretty obvious nothing will change this person's opinion so can we ignore their comments and not get drawn into debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

The WFH thread has thrashed these issues out at length. The poster might even find a kindred spirit that they can PM their brainfarts to.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

Thanks for this info. It is unreal to hear it and hopefully may be an example for some other departments to follow. Nothing confirmed in most places yet, but rumours are 40% or 60% WFH at best. 90% would be ideal.

Does it seem as if that is being introduced on a trial basis initially, or?

I tied it down to the leg of my desk with some twine and some cable ties. Ain't nobody going to run away with my router! 🙄

As others have said, if this is your concern, go make your own thread. We've been WFH from two years. So has everyone else. It's not going away.

Does it seem as if that is being introduced on a trial basis initially, or?

I'm hoping not. I mean - we've all been doing this for two years? I'm aware of plans/negotiations taking place as early as last summer on what the civil/public service WFH scheme would look like. It's surely time for DPER to just go "Right, get your applications in if you want to continue WFH - here are the blended working options." Ultimately, it's going to come down to POs/Heads of sections as to what will be possible in their particular areas, so hopefully the options are more than "No WFH but you have flexi. Or one day a week at home, but no flexi." That'd be a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Our place is offering 0% WFH.

We had it briefly when COVID started - one day per week then . Then the cyberattack removed it completely so back in the office the following week. The Omicron surge was going to sort it out again so staff would be able to work while isolating, but then Omicron tailed off, so the WFH was quietly dropped as a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Bellie1

Am public service ICT.Will the same DRER guidance apply to civil and public service? Been following this thread but wondering if also applies to public service .

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Certainly news to me and I'm in OGCIO

Wouldn't surprise me though. Initial plan for us was 3 in office and 2 at home from end of March. No word on it being brought forward yet

• Advertisement

@TaurenDruid

I tied it down to the leg of my desk with some twine and some cable ties. Ain't nobody going to run away with my router! 🙄

Post of the day. 😂 👏

Advertisement