Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You are a high consumer and a lot of your consumption happens during the day. Do you have a monthly breakdown to get a sense of how much goes into the HP? I would go big. If needed, get two inverters to cover all the panels. Your second inverter can be a non-hybrid which is much cheaper. I'd be looking at a 10kW total install if I was in your place.

You could just get a 5kWh battery now and decide to increase it later. Right now you need some battery to maximise the grant. Later you can expand that 5 to 10 or go DIY.

Post edited by garo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Ah ok, that's very good then. Its a definitely in the 'too good too be true category". I hope it works well. Keep us posted with your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

I got a system installed last week

8x400w panels no eddi 3.0Kw inverter 3,800 including grant (5,600 before grant). South facing Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That's pretty good that. Harder to get real "value" down in the lower sized installations. Of course your going to want more panels now :-)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Have got a number of quotes over the last few weeks and looking for some advice.

Quote 1 seems off the reservation - how do the others look?

I have only room for 2 more , my usage is low with gas for hot water and for the hobs.

If the grant is going to 2400 , would that mean the 600 euro grant for the battery is gone? If so it would make sense , there is no great benefit to the country if individuals get batteries. The state is more interested in the production of electricity and for people to provide back into the grid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 NOTSLIM

here are my numbers:

I would ideally like a PV Solar set up that would convert most of the day rate to night rate - I think that is the best I can hope for....

Thanks for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

And do you know an SEAI registered installer who will install for €1800 ?

Therevwould be several on here who would like to assist with installation and get an SEAI signoff at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

My mother got a quote for her own house by a company, seems quite high going by the talk on here. I'm very new to this stuff so these threads have been a great help.

9 panels, 3.01kw system, hot water divert, BER, (by the way what does BER actually mean?)

8.4k after the grant, seems a bit pricey? My mother runs a B&B during the summer and the idea would be to take pressure off the electricity usage during the summer to heat water etc. Would a battery be a better option so as to get use out of the system during the winter? Thanks for the info on here so far, it's been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You have a very interesting problem there. As garo mentions your a high consumer. Very high. I'm in about 11,000-12,000 units myself and your 50% on top of that!

I think before I did anything I'd really get "down-n-dirty" with all the usage that you have. For example, one thing that stands out to me is in July-August 2020 you were used 1885 units. Considering it was summer I'd assume that your heatpump was switched off at the time, so do you know what was the driver of that consumption? That's still 30+ units a day. If it's EV, would it not be at night time. Why is the day so high?

There may well be some good explanations there, but I'd bet you could probably save €100's by shifting loads about - hopefully.

Ultimately with that type of consumption, you'd be looking at 8Kwp miniumun. More possibly if you can afford it. Battery I'd go miniumum 5Kwhr and ideally 10Kwhr. With the EV as a "sink hole" you probably don't need much more than 10Kwhr, but you'd have to crunch the numbers to be honest and I'm only going off gut feeling.

Building Energy Rating (BER).

https://www.seai.ie/home-energy/building-energy-rating-ber/

That quote should be set on fire and the company's number deleted. Did the quote come from a company with the number 8 in its name. If it did they are the most expensive in the Country.

What part of Ireland are you in as not all Solar PV companies cover nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Look at Solar as a Service - €3600 for about 3kWp.

3kWp might be a bit light for lots hot water, but at least you would still have the immersion to boost it, so self consumption at 3kWp would likely be quite high, which then makes the solution and size a good proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Looks like high loads alri. Pump playing up?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I would definitely go for a large system in your position especially since you have the roof space. A 10kW system would suit you well. With just the solar and ignoring the battery for the moment, you would make a big dent in your Mar/Apr and Sep/Oct bills and more or less eliminate your May-August bills. Your south facing panels would also produce enough to reduce your day usage in Nov-Feb but it won't go to zero.

If you are up for it, get a small battery to avail of the grant and then sell it on and make yourself a 20kWh DIY system. Several people on this forum have done it and it is well within reach for a DIYer. Your day usage in winter is very high. 66 units/day just on day rate in Jan/Feb 2021. You may want to look at why. To convert all of it to night rate you are looking at a 50kWh battery which would cost ~5500 DIY and about 5 times that if bought off the shelf. Modifying your habits may be cheaper than getting a very large battery.

Post edited by garo on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Interested in this too. Could be an option for a family member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Where have you been the last 12 months? They were even named😁

You have some excellent roof space. Basis your quotes on filling the roof, maximum of 8kw. 10kwh of battery and a 6kw Inverter (do not go smaller than that).

The eddi could be dropped as you have the water covered already.

When getting quotes keep the speck the same so you can compare like with like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I know who they are. Did they complete the works for eirmail though?

I am not sure can I name the crowd that I got mine off , but they drove up from the Sunny South East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hi all,

I got a quote in 2020 when I was first considering Solar Panels but ended up putting it on hold.

I'm still figuring out all the tech speak and what everything means etc... and I don't think I knew how much electric I was using when I first got the quote.

Based on my current electric bills over the last 2 years by annual usage is 3300 kwH (don't have Electric Car but might consider for next one).

Here is the updated quotes - there are 3 options

Is the pricing competitive? Any other thoughts?

-----------------------------------

Quote A: 3kWp of modules kitted to a 3.0kWp Inverter

8 x Bisol 375w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a tile roof

Santon Fire Safety Switch

Santon Switch Gear

Sofar 3.0kWp Inverter

Costing

€6900 (inclusive of VAT)

+  €550 (Hot Water Diverter)

- €1800 (SEAI Grant)

€5650 Final cost after grant incentive

-------------------------------------------------------

Quote B: Battery System (Alpha)

3kWp of modules kitted to 5.7kWh battery storage

10 x Bisol 375 w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Santon Switch Gear

Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7kWh storage capacity

Costing

€10,000 (inclusive of VAT)

- €2700 (SEAI Grant)

€7850 Final cost after grant incentive

----------------------------------------------------------

Quote C: Battery System (Alpha)

4.5kWp of modules kitted to 5.7kWh battery storage

12 x Bisol 375w Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Santon Switch Gear

Alpha 5 kWp Inverter kitted to 5.7kWh storage capacity

Costing

€10,800 (inclusive of VAT)

- €3000 (SEAI Grant)

€8,350 Final cost after grant incentive

A BER is required after the work is complete and is not covered on the cost detailed above.

Dismisse 1 and 2. 3 is ok but can be bettered.

What part of the country are you in as not all installers cover nationwide.

I don't need to tell you that prices have gone up since 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

They are all too high, the third is the better deal but even that can be bettered.

Are they all from the same company?

I know it is hard going through all the quotes but checking this doc will give you an idea of the cost of similarly installed systems.

Sorry I didn't mention. Yes, they are 3 quotes from the same provider.

I'll review the doc and seek alternative quotes and see what comes back.

Thanks

Have a few more questions if anyone might have some answers.

Does anyone know if there would be much additional cost / complexity in adding 1 or 2 panels to the system that are on a garden shed in addition to a roof setup?

• Has anyone ever sought (and received) planning permission for Solar Panels? From what I read, PP is required for 12m2 of panels and most quotes will be over this thresehold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

This site will give you an idea as to what you might expect to generate from solar at your location, just enter you details in regards to location and size of system you are looking to install.

In regards to planning, if will all stuck to the guidelines there would be a good few of us would need to remove panels. A precedent has been set by a woman in Limerick, I think, who plastered the house in panels and the council failed having taken her to court.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement