Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2022 and whingeing students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

The kids don't want to do the leaving cert and instead want estimated grades or continuous assessment because they know someone else (i.e. the teacher or their parents) will do the work for them.

As an employer I'm not going to do that. I am fully on board with the need for wellbeing and I know first hand the risks of stress. But I also need the job done by the person I pay to do the job. To be honest if we have yet another year of "ah poor you, have a leaving cert for free" I simply won't employ any of them. Just not worth the risk. I'll avoid the whole year and hire people who have a track record of actual work not estimated work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ainebell

Predicted grades are an easy option for students that simply do not want to sit the exam, knowing that Predicted grades will give them a higher grade than if the exam was taken.

What about the LC's that actually want to take the exam?

Knowing that they may not get their place in college if points increase as dramatically as last year, and increase they will if grades are once again predicted. The leaving cert is not perfect, but by sitting a written exam it is comparing apples with apples, every one being graded equally, instead of the utter madness of grade inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Well that's it , Whinging over for another year albeit , I'm sure Claire Byrne will have a segment tomorrow or indeed shortly on her TV show

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I don’t know if you are aware, last year the students could opt to sit the leaving cert. Higher grades with predicted grading is actually of little benefit to students if everyone else is getting them, students understand that, unfortunately not everyone else does.

Students sitting the exams this year is not “comparing apples with apples”, there will be a significant number of students with inflated grades from the last two years applying for courses beginning in September 2022, in competition with those who sit the exams with no predicted grades this year. Many LC students, including my own son, are finishing their mocks tomorrow with a considerable part of the LC syllables still not yet covered by their teachers due to teacher illness/absence associated with Covid.

Schools/students will also have to consider that there is a real risk of some students not being able to sit exams due to Covid, they may not have symptoms severe enough to prevent them physically sitting the exam, but may well be excluded from doing so by Government guidelines.

So let’s not assume that this is students not wanting to sit exams, they should be given the fairest opportunity possible given the circumstances. Remember, a significant percentage of workers either don’t feel safe to return to offices, or don’t want to, but people like yourself think students should shut up and put up with sitting the exams that decide whether they can follow the academic path they studied for, less well prepared and more at risk of being unable to sit them.

So your workforce does not require post secondary school qualifications? What difference does LC results mean to you if they don’t?

Or are you just going to wait 3-4 years, then not employ graduates who didn’t sit a LC, even though they have third level qualifications? Seems an odd perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Mocks are sat every year with the course incomplete in many subjects/schools. That's not unusual. Ironically this is the first year my students have the course finished before the mocks.

A second date for sitting of the original date of LC has already been taken in to account asfar as I know.

Many students and parents are entirely unaware of how the points system works and the knock on effect of predicted grades.

Not sure what the relationship between sitting exams and returning to work is?

The fairest thing for students is categorically not a hybrid LC.

The last line is your opinion, one not shared by Principals according to the Claire Byrne show this evening.

My son is the youngest of 4, so I do appreciate that the syllables is not always finished in all subjects before the mocks, unfortunately in his case we are not talking about a couple of chapters.

The know on effects of previous years getting higher grades will be felt by this years leaving certs. I do appreciate that going hybrid this year will just push the same problem onto next years students, but that does not mean this years students should be disadvantaged.

The link between work and school was to highlight that a significant proportion of society is resisting return to offices, while at the same time some accuse students of having a “poor me” attitude for being concerned at being well enough to sit their LC.

I do know that dates are being arranged for resits, but the results would have to be available before CAO/UCAS offers are made, and as you know HQ, most time their preparation to peak at the beginning of the LC in June.

Post edited by Dav010 on

I wouldn't worry about it for the mocks. Some schools don't do them at all. Plenty of time to make it up between this and the LC. Less of the course to be covered in many subjects and more choice to be offered again.

He isn’t. He is more concerned that the period normally reserved for revision and practicing LC questions will be eaten into with tuition. And that is assuming more teachers aren’t absent in the coming weeks.

Not every job in the country requires a masters from UCD to perform it.

• Advertisement

Ah ok. Well hopefully with the new rules around isolation there'll be very little disruption. 7 days isolation if symptomatic/positive is much less disruptive than previously.

No, but if your employees are required to have any post secondary qualifications to work for you, the students will have to have passed those exams before being employed, I’m not talking about masters from UCD, I’m talking about any qualifications gained after the LC. Will you be asking them if the sat the LC before getting those qualifications?

If your employees aren’t required to have qualifications, what difference does it make if they sat the LC?

Ok. I don't know why this is so difficult for some people to understand but not every job requires qualifications. Factory, retail, food service etc etc etc. Many employers such as myself have a mix of people in their employment with and without post leaving cert qualifications. For many employers the leaving cert, or similar from another state, is a key metric used in hiring staff.

Anyway the point is mute following today's announcement. Students will have to sit the Leaving Cert exam. Game over. Go up to your room and get back to work.

It is difficult for me to understand your logic, it seems a unique viewpoint to refuse to employ two years of students who didn’t sit the LC due to Covid.

So you will not hire students who haven’t sat the LC to work on your assembly line, working in a shop, in your deli etc? Did all your current employees in those positions achieve the required points in their LC to do those jobs?

Some trades people never sat a LC, but are qualified electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc, would you refuse to employ one of them?

“Go up to your room and get back to work”, touts, what industry do you work in?

Post edited by Dav010 on

I really don't know why you are finding this so hard to understand. If someone has a qualification and proof that they will work then fine. But I'm not hiring someone with a masters or someone with a trade to do a manual job that doesn't require that skill and the extra costs that come with employing a higher skilled person. There are many many jobs out there that do not require qualifications. For those past performance is the only measure of ability to do the job. For a recent school graduate that past performance is more often than not measured by their exams. I don't need someone who got 7 A1s but I do need someone who knuckled down and did their best. I need people who I know will do the work without complaining that it is too hard and would someone else, i.e. me, just do it for them because their wellbeing is being impacted by having to do what is expected of them. I don't have time for that rubbish. That costs me money. That costs my business money. That endangers the incomes of the others on the team. Trust me that is far from unique in my industry or any industry.

The irony may be lost on you touts, the kids that knuckle down, work hard, get good LC results, don’t usually aspire to work for you in jobs where the only requirement is to work hard and shut up. Academic achievement is not a reliable metric for hard manual or menial work, or for being a snowflake. If you are using LC results to assess that, no doubt it is costing you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Which is fine - but the point of the leaving cert is not to gauge someone's mental wellbeing or ability to work under stress.

You could probbaly find someone just as hard-working and capable who could galdly knuckle down and do the job who never even sat the Leaving Cert (depending on your business - can't say for sure without knowing what skillset/qualification would otherwise be needed - but I'm guessing you could get said requirements via experience or specifc courses if needed)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

OMG they're such whingers! Student on the news just there saying she wanted the hybrid because if you have a bad day you have the hybrid to fall back on. WTF? Why would you expect this to be the norm? What about any student in LC history who had a bad day? What did they have to fall back on?

And all this talk about inflated grades not being fair on those sitting this years leaving cert....what about those in 2019 who took a year out and who were going to apply in 2020? Where is the concern for those students who were completely blown out of the water because of the hugely inflated grades??

Just get on with the normal leaving cert. If you think it isn't fair, well get used to it because life isn't fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Let collages set entrance exams then no need for leaving cert.

That’s all it is. Saves colleges doing the work to determine who should get a place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Not according to Paul Murphy on RTE radio this evening, he wants the whole country doing a year in University for free, any course you like.

• Advertisement

Whats this 'traditional' leaving cert label anyway?

The choice is between

a) Objective and fair i.e. an actual exam

B) Subjective and unfair i.e. free points for teachers favourite

Choice A was the correct one

Rich Boy Barrett was on the radio yesterday saying the same thing. Free university place for everyone in any course they want. Yes we could do with more people in certain courses. We need more Doctors and Dentists for example. But abolishing the leaving cert and letting everyone go straight into any college course they want would be chaos. 50,000 into medicine in UCD. They would have to hold lectures in Croke Park.

All this talk of free university places from the comfortable middle class opportunists masquerading as working class heroes- Barrett, Murphy, McDonald.

But not a single mention of developing a plan for proper funding of high quality apprenticeship programmes, the type of education and training that many people want and the economy needs.

Not everybody wants to follow their path of arsing around an arts block for a few years before sitting back at the taxpayers expense.

They prefer people who protest about housing over people who can actually build a damn house

• Aligned straight with the thinking of Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The state provides an education…

how the state decides to competitively test for comprehension and abilities accross the spectrum of subjects is up to the state / department of education…the absolute sense of entitlement off this current generation is quite something… the exams are not designed to please students or simply suit them…

country going nuts, or gone..

Post edited by Strumms on

I wonder what the failure rates will b this year. The dept education need to hold firm and not adjust grading curves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I heard last night the dept. said there wouldn't be any grade deflation this year despite the return to normal exams.

What I expect to happen is everyone gets graded, then they will compare a bell curve from last years results to this years and then pull the scores up proportionally so the grades arn't lower. Load of bull if you ask me. Maybe they'll tell the markers to mark easier too.

There were 5 times as many students getting all A's during the pandemic than during normal times. And this was a time when students were supposedly affected very bad by Covid?

How did those with inflated grades perform in third level relative to pre-Covid LCs?

Too early to tell but expect increased college drop out rates universities don't fail people anymore . The leaving cert was the last line

• Advertisement

I have some sympathy for the LC kids in all this. To be fair, they are 17-18 years old with no real world experience and have spent nearly 1/8 of their existence in some class of lockdown. It was inevitable that they would call for no formal exam (we all would have chanced our arm the same at that age).

Despite its unpopularity with the LC cohort, the decision taken offers the fairest means of awarding grades. Last years free-for-all proves that. I would be in favour of a correctly structured CA model for elements of some JC and LC courses, with a final exam included. But to think that is going to be delivered in the time-frame of June 2022 is fanciful at best.

The fault for the hysteria around this good decision lies squarely with opportunist, populist commentators and politicians who have taken an unprincipled and impractical position solely to harvest votes from the first time voter demographic at the next election. O'Riordain, McDonald, O'Laoighre, Murphy and Boyd Barrett have whipped up the expectation of another giveaway for their own self-interest, and have fuelled the anxiety and uncertainty that they so falsely decry. Shameful, shameful sh&t.

Advertisement