Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

They used do a good Hake and Monkfish dishes at The Point (O Neills?) back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ginger22

Is there a living for 2 families on 80 cows?. What am I doing wrong with 220 of them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Only if both wives have good jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Who would the customers for a farm like above be.?

Would it be operations with 400-500 cows already and a say 100 spare heifers coming through..if there is labour of 40k, the farm needs to make 80k to break even. Suppose there would be a small margin and maybe they'd be making a better return on there heifers than selling them and also maybe increasing economies of scale etc.

Hard to see how a young farmer could make it work especially with any borrowings for stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have often seen where the herd went for lease with the land in places with the provision that similar type cow would be returned when the lease was over.It might suit a young lad mad for farming ,every one has to start somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Advert says fully stocked farm. If the cows are included in this lease, it's good value and a right good option for a starter adding a few of his/her own stock, and will build a stock portfolio over the 5 years.

Also leaves the owner in a nice position to repeat in 5 years time, or maybe a family member taking over then.

330/ac that includes such facilities is not out of the way at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Best of luck to both parties. I may be interested in some kind of agreement like that for my own place in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Exactly straight....

Hopefully Mcgonologue's "working group" won't upscuttle that possibility.

We have a habit of not being able to appreciate long term needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If u have a young family and u want to step back for a few years, at least your kids have the setup there if they want a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭cosatron

the latest pg catalogue is out, just 15 bulls by pivotal and 9 by albert. Line breeding and inbreeding will be rampant in years to come if the icbf don't pull the finger out and diversify there bull selections/recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think pg have become very lax in the last year or so . Which is a pity

Id say you don't have enough land for them for a start anyway. No offence like but I don't know what lads are doing with that amount of cows stocked @ 5/ha. Some times less is more.

you go confused. I was making tongue in cheek commenting on the farm for lease in Valentia. We have 430 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

@whelan2

You're my usual source of info, how much are the stamps for posting bvd samples

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭jaymla627

They seem to be pushing seville on the new test bulls, they'll work okay on pivotal as a outcross, but for Albert daughters you have coolsan art on both sides, they don't give a flying f**k to be honest will just keep doing the yearly lotto/ebi genomics on their wonky computer and make sure to buy plenty of high ebi ai bulls of teagasc research farms, and a selected few cheerleader farmers and our esteemed advisory body will do some new research how in-breeding when using high ebi bulls is actually beneficial with the disclaimer to use a team of 15 bulls per 100 cows on farm , not to actually spread the risks but to make sure a loyal customer doesn't end up with to many heifers of the one bull that resemble badly breed goats and a lightbulb moment occurs in his head that he's been had all these years

ha, it will get so bad, that teagasc will be recommending to use 1 bull per cow to spread out the risk. If they don't introduce some volume into there selection it will get very scary very fast for the ebi chasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There a great company and have dealt with them for years ….but I thought same ….choice of bulls and the reliance on Albert and pivotal sons is a big negative

• Advertisement

Agree ….ICBF and Ai companies have made a huge mistake on allowing so many sons of both into Ai catalogues ….yet another flaw of genomics and the ebi system

It's not just that. The sales rep for our area retired, in fairness he was brilliant. Also the ai man we have is just passing his time, no get up and go. Annoyed me last year too over the testing of bull calves send zero communication from them for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Not that long ago you'd be pointed to the conspiracy forum for ever questioning the direction the herd was going through EBI and genomics. You know who you are. 😉

If you bring that up at one of their sales/PR meetings you will be met with a dismissive answer, making you out to be a fool. ICBF were brilliant at that tactic. Shure what would the farmers know.

he is repentant and admitted the error of his way on all over twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Took long enough to cop on in fairness, having the ability to see you've f**ked up and draw a line under it and move on instead of persisting at it, when you know your only digging yourself into a bigger hole is crucial....

I didn't take my ole chaps advice here re not going the fleck route and bought a expensive imported bull , he had past expirences with rotbunts and knew they'd probably be a disaster, was proven 100% correct and I easily cost myself 40k by not listening to him, the resulting heifers where that bad, I sold the 2nd crop of 25 maidens for beef rather then milk them

Farmers do generally get looked down on in fairness.

Not a genomics man here but I do find EBI a good tool. I genomic tested alot of my stock to improve reliability and accuracy and it's a good guide if you can increase the reliability figures. I think they made a good change last year when they reduced the genomics weighting on the figures. Alot of EBIs dropped and became more reliable. Also bringing out the evaluations more regularly helps to save their blushes but I don't think the movements are as much as they used to be.

There is two AI companies coming out to see my bull. I wonder what's he worth @ 12 months?

It was a mad move going milking simmentals now in fairness. I guess we all did foolish stuff when we were younger - still do.

Hard to know but I’d imagine the disease risk may be too high ..they generally buy and take bulls at a young age to negate against it and also to ensure he gets optimum feeding to develop as a bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ozil10

Unfortunate Situation

Just looking for advice and options

Got call from department this morning

An Empty cow i sold at the mart last October ,

was killed at factory yesterday and had suspected lesions for TB

So as of now im locked up and cant sell any stock for 8 weeks until culture result comes back which hopefully be ok

Terrible timimg with cows Calving and not being able to sell calves at 3 weeks of age as usual,i will be under pressure regards labour and facilities to cater for all calves during this period.

Looking for anybody who has been in the situation for advice

My limited knowledge is that

I could tb test the whole herd which is something i dont really want to do with cows on brink of calving.

Think i can sell to feedlots but will get very poor price.

I only used sexed semen and beef straws so keep the fr females and sell the angus, speckle park calves,

As i said above any knowledge or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Advertisement