Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amplified buskers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,184 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Meursault wrote: »
    I know taste is subjective - even though the consensus here suggests that the buskers around cork aren't great, (to say the least), but surely the Gardai can step in when the amplifiers are turned up to 11.

They must be making some money, so somebody must like them, but the guys taking up all that space outside BT, who aren't even playing an instrument should be moved on, at least. They're a nuisance.

I only posted yesterday that the guards were, in fact, telling buskers to turn down. But it's a waste of time as they just turn up again.

While repeating myself somewhat, it's not about the buskers being good or bad - it about volume and noise pollution and backing tracks.

Out in force yesterday.

That trad ballad band with the drum machine playing way too loud outside Debenham'ș.

Then the leprechauns blasting it out. There are actually people who enjoy this display. There were a couple of women videoing it who appeared to be loving it. The mind boggles.

Then you had the really awful, also very loud, general ballad band, incorporating the terrible sax player and the shrillist tin whistle imaginable. They were on Prince's Street.

That's a whole lot of noise on that side of Patrick's Street.

The other side was less offensive volume wise.
    There was a young woman in white by superdry playing guitar and singing - mic ed up and amped, of course. Volume here wasn't too bad, though.

And by Opera Lane there was another young woman playing keyboard and singing. Again amped up but not the worst for volume.
    Interestingly, this girl appeared to have a roadie.
    I passed a little later to find a guy packing up her gear and no sign of the performer!

Between the five of these performers, there's no escaping the noise on our main street!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

It was bad on Saturday as above the guys outside Debenhams were truly awful and the two idiots outside Brown Thomas should be just charged with some public order offense or even assualt on the ears and eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Is that hippy-ish woman with the amplified guitar still around? She's kind of the spiritual fore bearer of all the current bunch, she was at it for years usually on Oliver Plunkett St. Wouldn't mind so much but she has the most monotonous droning singing voice.

Is that hippy-ish woman with the amplified guitar still around? She's kind of the spiritual fore bearer of all the current bunch, she was at it for years usually on Oliver Plunkett St. Wouldn't mind so much but she has the most monotonous droning singing voice.

I haven't seen her around in ages.
    Yes, she's the early adopter of amped busking in Cork. She must have been dragging a car battery around with her at one time. I don't ever remember her being terribly loud, though.
    Now we have volume inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Yep, she’s still around, at her usual perch outside Minehans Chemist. I work nearby and out of all the noises to get into your brain, it’s her wailing voice. I’m so serious when I say this, but the constant sound of her voice while your trying to work has led people to cry. I’d sure love to meet the person who told her she could sing…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The demented yowling out of her. She's wodeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Yep, she’s still around, at her usual perch outside Minehans Chemist. I work nearby and out of all the noises to get into your brain, it’s her wailing voice. I’m so serious when I say this, but the constant sound of her voice while your trying to work has led people to cry. I’d sure love to meet the person who told her she could sing…

Don't the owners of these businesses ever complain? I don't understand how you could put up with this constantly.

Whatever about the likes of me getting annoyed walking around town, workers in town must be driven demented by the noise.
    Shows how subjective it is, too. While I've never enjoyed that busker, she's never particularly annoyed me, either, yet she's brought others to tears.
    You can't legislate for taste but you can for volume, very simply.

• Advertisement

Interesting, my neighbor arrived home from work on Friday and, completely unprompted by me, started complaining about the noise pollution from buskers in town.
    Same woman is really, really into music and has much broader taste than me.

Other cities you have to apply for a permit and describe your act. If you dont meet a certain standard, no permit.

Here just turn up with any old spiel and as long as you dont actually kill anyone its grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Whatever about the likes of me getting annoyed walking around town, workers in town must be driven demented by the noise.
    Shows how subjective it is, too. While I've never enjoyed that busker, she's never particularly annoyed me, either, yet she's brought others to tears.
    You can't legislate for taste but you can for volume, very simply.

Agreed, if I had to work in town and listen to amplifiers constantly I’d go gaga -noise is noise if you have to use an amplifier you’ve lost

Thankfully the leprechauns have taken a break (for now). Folk ballad crowd now seem to have downsized to just one guy who's at the usual spot outside Debenhams every time I pass. Big fella with a guitar, it seems that he's largely responsible for their "sound" which involves playing one repetitive note on the guitar over and over to an equally repetitive drum machine beat, all amplified to near deafening levels.

And it's the same drum loop for every song, it seems.

There's a group who play on Prince's Street near the entrance of the English Market.

The volume they play it isn't remarkable, nor is their questionable ability. What is truly remarkable is that the same person has been shaking a tambourine with them for at least 2 years, now, yet she is completely unable to play the tambourine.

Really, who can anyone not be able to play a tambourine? She, literally cannot or will not keep any sense of a beat, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭notAMember

Plenty of people can't hold a beat, or don't have rhythm, it's not natural for everyone. Similar to being tone-deaf or people who can't match or recognise a note. Probably helping out some friends.

If I'm cynical about it, being on a street for years, rather than getting a few gigs probably indicates the standard.

I never give money to amplified buskers.

I suppose your right but one would have thought that if you have absolutely no sense of rhythm, perhaps you might consider not playing the tambourine professionally!

"Professionally" is stretching it, no? :)

Someone banging a tamborine while begging for scraps on a street corner isn't actually a profession, more of a hobby.

I'd call playing in public for monetary reward, the very definition of professional!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Problem is there are too many around these days.

Yes, far too many in town yesterday, heaps in Patrick street, and they were so loud walking past them actually hurt our ears. It was just noise pollution.

We were buying a couple of donuts on Oliver plunkett street, the guy in the shop couldn’t hear us, we couldn’t hear him. With masks you can’t lip read. The busker stopped and the shop guy said Oh thank god that’s over, that has been going for hours.

Between the visual noise of signage and dilapidation, the physical noise of sandwich boards, that lighting with the huge pavement footprint, robot trees , street furniture , the audible noise from the buskers, plus the smell of the place, it’s quite a wallop on the senses in there. I find it annoying to navigate town at the moment and I’m an able bodied person.

Noisy, drum machine backed rebel ballad crowd in Debenhams doorway are back to the full line up and louder than ever.

Whats the story with the flowers etc on the ground near bt door where buskers used to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Was in a European city over the last few days… very few buskers , I saw one guy with a guitar on a corner, who moved after a few mins. I asked a colleague what the story was with buskers there. They have a rule, 15 minutes of public performance is allowed. Any more than that and there’s a fine of 5000 euro. So because electrical gear takes so long to set up, it’s usually just a singer or a guitar and they move along quickly.

Ballad group moved across the road outside old savoy now,they are loud.

There's an old lad who wears a cowboy hat and "plays" the guitar around town. He can neither sing nor play to save his life. He's regularly on the same bus as me, always jumps to the top of the queue and all through Covid/lockdown never once did I see him wearing a mask on the bus. Feel like hopping the fecking guitar off him whenever I see him.

Not sure if he's blond, but yes usually wears sunglasses. Always wears a hat, maybe a fedora rather than cowboy hat but one of those wide brimmed hats.

• Advertisement

Spotted him again over the weekend, no this fella isn't blond. Grey, thinning hair. He's probably late 60s early 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭POBox19

IF they were any good, they wouldn't need amplification. Best I ever saw was a girl singing opera, a great voice no speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

new wan across from the brog wailing out zombie amplified could hear her all down the street dreadful stuff especially on a monday -that irish trad group outside debenhams get rid of them noise pollution awful makes people uncomfortable

She sounds like an old hand, the howler monkey with the guitar and the cds no-one buys?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

New one young enough down by bodhran where the opera singer guy usually is .fairly bad

The leprechauns were back today in their usual spot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Gotta catch the Easter weekend crowd!

Quick edit: I loathe and despise amplified buskers with every fibre of my being, whether they're good or bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The crazy loud balladeers with the drum machine have relocated from Debenham's to by the robot trees in front of Murray's. They seem even louder, now!

Seen some more karaoke singers, too. People used to pay to do karaoke, now they hope people will pay them for doing it!

X factor and its ilk have a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement

Their spot outside debenhams has been taken by supposedly homeless roma!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭greenpilot

While not a busker, that screaming African preacher woman with the microphone whos outside the library on Grand Parade every Saturday is solid proof that there has to be legislation on amplification in the City centre. She is utter torture.

Not terribly familiar with her but, for me, it's simply a volume issue.

It would be difficult to police the quality of content (which is subjective, anyway), but it would be very simple to police excessive volume.

If amplified buskers/preachers knew they had a reasonable chance of being fined for excessive volume, they would be a lot more likely to turn down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This is so obviously the solution, but why isn't it done? Are there any bye laws in the city for this? Sorry, I haven't read through the whole thread yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

so annoying and loud

• Advertisement

There were calls for bye-laws to be put in place, but nothing was ever done because it doesn't involve bicycles and feel-good virtue signalling.

Patrick street very loud today between ballad group solo guy outside bt and 2 groups on loudhailers,1 by penneys and another across the road near dunnes oh another busker by opera lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

The busking in Berlin is next level. Lads and lassies with keyboards and violins playing the likes of Beethoven and Mozart. I spent more tipping them than on lunch over there.

Guy with a violin on oliver plunkett street yesterday sounded good in fairness change from the usual stuff.

I passed her a couple of weeks ago and while she seems a bit touched, she's not very loud.

I'd rather put up with her shouting for 20 metres as I pass than hearing some karaoke singer or ballad band for 100 or more metres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement