Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Court Describes Traveller Community as “Vulnerable Minority”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

And there in lies the problem, whilst I'm against discrimination in any form, I've seen, time and time again, all ethnic recognition in this particular case has achieved is created a sense of entitlement, albeit a small minority, to do, say and act as they please with Zero possibility of Sanction. Meanwhile the majority are expected to adhere to rules and laws with absolute sanction if they don't.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I blame twitter for all this kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

There does be some fair amount of shite on Twitter alright

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The back story to this is quite the tale.

I always try and look at both sides of the debate to form an opinion. I'm struggling with this one. They have Clare County Council absolutely withered and the ruling yesterday has to have finished them off.

The millions spent on this so far is a disgraceful waste, when you think where that money could have actually gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Always amazes me how racism is accepted in Ireland just because its against travellers.

Young traveller men are committing suicide in droves because nobody employs them because of their background, they can't walk into a pub without being stared at, renting a property is out of the question as soon as a landlord hears the accent.

There are bad apples in every community but in Ireland its ok to stain an entire community o travellers because of the actions of a few. In my hometown a young traveller man seems to commit suicide every couple of months but once people find out its a traveller they couldn't care less. It's similar to how the Irish were treated in London or Australia in the past and really sad to see how we're no better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Maybe these men are not getting jobs because they didn't finish school and don't have an education?

Maybe these men are committing suicide because gay men are treated abhorrently in the traveller community?

Maybe these men get dirty looks when walking into a pub because based on previous times, there could very well be trouble.

Travellers gave themselves the bad name. I used to go into the gym and 99% of people were quiet in the changing rooms. These travellers come in and they're loud as hell, talking about their fighting and drinking plans for the evening. Everyone in the gym kept the head down because everyone knows, one bad look and they could start on ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Its a bed they have made for themselves over many years, there are refugees arriving into Ireland fleeing war and famine with no English who have managed to integrate into Irish society, gain education and employment and contribute to society within a few short years, Travellers have been here generations and still act like neanderthals while the tax paying public pisses away millions of euro each year on them.

They have massive levels of criminality for such a small population %, draining Garda and prison resources never mind the victims of their crimes.

Animal cruelty seems to be part of their culture.

I have never seen a halting site that wasn't a total garbage dump and no-go area for normal people.

Circa 80% unemployment

Etc

Etc

They claim discrimination but generation after generation do absolutely nothing to take responsibility for their own lives, improve their circumstances and contribute to society, its just blame everyone else and beg for government handouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Come the county I grew up in, and I'll introduce you to all the families, I know everyone of them, even many by first name, and then come back to me and say the same thing, because not one of them had a shred of decency, not one. I was even friends with a few of them for awhile, and did the whole "they aren't all the same" stuff, a few months later they robbed me, and caused hell for me around the town by attacking my friends and making said friends turn against me because it was the only way they'd stop looking for fights with them. I was also chased through a field with a machete by a member of the same family, so forgive me if I lack sympathy for them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The plight of young traveller men is nothing compared to what is done to young traveller women by their own community.

Taking them out of education at a young age, marrying them off in their mid-teens, turning them into baby factories, the hardship that the traveller community inflicts on the majority of its young women is a real problem. These are not isolated incidents, these are cultural aspects of traveller life that need to change.

Many of the problems that young traveller men have relate to their inability to live up to their misogynistic culture and their wish to reject it.

In the same way that mainstream Irish people needed to reject the toxic culture and heritage of the Catholic Church in order to move on and become a better more open and welcoming place, a similar process of rejecting the toxic masculinity of Traveller culture needs to happen. That comes from within though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The are so not under resourced, they get bored to the point where several of them will spend all day forming road blocks to check that all three windscreen discs and rectangles of vehicles are up to date.

The government will hopefully update and clarify the laws so that Judges have a better idea what the government really intended with the original wording of the laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

I fully understand the other posters grievance and I can see where he or she is coming from on this. At a time where people are charged record high rents and then this group is allowed stay on this land that,s not theirs rent free' where can the rest of us stay somewhere rent free ? who do we go to ? what avenue can we explore to also stay somewhere rent free ?

I'm guessing a spot of Tongue in Cheek in your response.

But to respond briefly, the crux of the problem is, the then Government made a commitment with, I presume an understanding such recognition doesn't mean there's going to be one law for ethnic groups and and another for the rest of the population . It's absolutely appropriate to recognise ethnic minorities, its equally appropriate for said ethnic minorities to observe laws that govern an entire population and not assume that ethnic recognition somehow means they can do as they please .

Wether you agree or not, what has happened is a convenient interpretation of what ethnic recognition means by a small cohort . Are you suggesting that has part of the recognition an entirely new and separate statute Book of Laws for the courts to work from should also have been drawn up🙄

At a basic level, if I decide, I like the look of my neighbours field, or a local authority land bank for example. Can I now just go off, buy a mobile home and set up camp on said lands unhindered 😳 seriously 🙄 how long do you think I'd get away with that I wonder . However what this judgement is essentially saying, if I'm a Traveller, off you go and do as you please and sure while your at, bring along a few pony's.

Perhaps the traveller lifestyle is conducive to mental health issues?

Perhaps no regard for education leads to discrimination in terms of employment seeking?

Perhaps consider the above instead of virtue signalling?

You do know that the folks who employ the term "toxic masculinity " exclude travellers due to their lack of " privilege "

Read you're WOKE Handbook

How did you get all that from what I said?

I meant that the laws should be re-written so that their original intent was clarified such that a judge wouldn't have room to interpret them as allowing him to go on about minorities or disadvantage as being concepts that somehow justified going off script and coming up with the nonsense under discussion.

Apologies, as I said I sensed a bit of Tongue in Cheek in your post, I misinterpreted, I apologise

No worries at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What amazes me is that there are so many traveller threads on boards.ie

It seems to be a weekly thing now. It's just the same arguments again and again.......

• Advertisement

It's called a recurring problem, and recurring problems will always be talked about. Imagine is they changed their ways? We'd have no ammo, and topic would eventually disappear. We'd all honestly love that.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that people break the law and the gards are under resourced? no unfortunately that is true.

or if you mean it's a load of shite that both being the case exists and it should be changed, then i couldn't agree more.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i know, you couldn't make it up.

to be honest they just want to rant regardless of how inconsistent their ranting is .

incorrect.

the gards aren't simply not enforcing the law against travelers, they are struggling to enforce the laws across the board.

not being able to enforce the law is not nor even similar to legal immunity, it is simply a failure of the state to do it's job and resource the services of the state properly.

for travelers to have legal immunity from the law, that would mean legislation existing or clauses in all legislation stating that the laws do not apply to travelers.

no such thing exists, ergo they do not have legal or any immunity from the law.

they are under resourced to do all of the jobs required of them, that is a fact.

the fact they do enforce some laws does not change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

Travellers are of course a vulnerable community - shorter lifespan, higher child mortality, higher suicide levels, poorer mental health - and that's only the health indicators. You can argue the whys, and there are certainly things to address within traveller culture, but excluding them and talking them down all the time ain't the way to address what is a real issue.

there's a new generation of travellers who are staying longer in education, lots of them high achievers, and that's a real, positive change within the community. Attitudes in the settled community need to change too.

Can you prove the last statement? A few travellers out of thousands of them isn't much of a change, I doubt it's even more than 1% of them to be honest. Dublin for some reason sees a higher amount of these types, I haven't seen any of this change down the country, God knows why. I drank with a young traveller one night in Dublin, who was honestly sound, and genuinely wanted to change his ways and their culture, but people like him are rare in my view sadly.

Do you by any chance know any settled people who fight them? Who aren't terrified of them? Because I've known a handful of men, who'd be willing to go up against them, and there's a good reason for that. Many of the men are honestly bullies of the worst kind, and as heartless as can be, so I always find it odd that the bullied are meant to change their way to appease bullies. It's not going to happen, and no amount of pontificating will change that, because most of us see what we see with our eyes, and know that the righteous defenders of travellers are simply wrong.

Post edited by TomTomTim on

those travelers won't be allowed stay there long, they will be moved on ultimately.

• Advertisement

You can argue the whys, and there are certainly things to address within traveller culture, but excluding them and talking them down all the time ain't the way to address what is a real issue.

Travellers, due to their recognised ethnic minority status, receive benefits that are not available to the average Irish person. Whether that's favorable interest in welfare cases such as disability, or educational grants, the fact remains that they have more supports available to them. Even the allocation of social housing happens outside of the main process, with Travellers receiving special attention as a distinct category. Assuming that there is no real difference between Irish people and Travellers, then the only difference that exists is that of culture.

Traveller culture is what encourages young people to leave school early, not attend third level, live in halting sites in squalid conditions, child prostitution, minors involved in bare knuckle fighting, drug abuse, etc.

IF people truly cared about Travellers themselves, then there would be definite efforts to wean them away from Traveller culture and to have them embrace mainstream Irish culture, leading to much better lifestyle for them. If people truly cared for Travellers, there would be less emphasis on enabling (financially) Travellers to live within the boundaries of their traditional culture, because the common sense approach would identify Traveller culture are being the core reason as to why they live such awful lives.

I'm always amused when I see threads like these, where posters call those who criticise Travellers racist.. as if by doing so they're protecting some vulnerable group that needs our help... except these posters are not protecting Travellers. They're ensuring that Travellers continue to live in an environment which is so unhealthy and ultimately ruins lives.

This new generation of Travellers that are succeeding, are doing so because they're usually settled, and have embraced the main aspects of mainstream Irish society, giving up on the traditional aspects of Traveller culture that is so destructive. They're a distinct minority, because the financial/other supports provided by the Irish State, provide few real incentives for people to change....

Advertisement