Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,246 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah but once these characters get involved in the anti-woke stuff, thst seems to be where they put all their focus. They can't let it go. Peterson makes his money from it. I imagine most of the people who buy his books are probably disappointed it's not all about feminists and cancel culture because that's where all the attention he gets, comes from.

I'd expect Rogan to keep going down that path until he goes too far for too long and Spotify decides to drop him. Then he's really made it as a hero to the right.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I haven't watched any of Peterson since his return from illness but up to then he was a fairly middle of the road type character with some centre left ideas. Being against forced speech by the government should not be a controversial position to hold. Neither should trying to add a bit of balance and nuance to the endless gender debates. Yet, we live in a world where stating that some women don't want C suite jobs and prefer to raise a family seems to imply you are the second coming of Hitler.

It's all gone a bit mad Ted, if you ask me.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Well he's a firm believer in freedom of speech and also that women should have the freedom to do whatever job they want including raising a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I had no interest in a Spotify subscription however I joined this morning because they believe in freedom of speech. I’ll do my bit in reversing this horrific anti democratic thing called cancel culture.

That said , if they bend the knee to the Suzy snowflakes pressure and remove Rogans podcast I’ll cancel my sub instantly.

That's a centre left idea? Fair enough if it iscentre left, I would have just assumed they're absolutely neutral ideas.

Fair to say he sells his wares to a right wing market in the American context.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

There were two brains, 3 teams of shooters, backyard photos were faked, JFK knew he was going to be killed, we proved the FBI lied about the chain of custody on the magic bullet, CIA were tracking Oswald before Russia etc etc.

2 hours of this craic.

Joe: "Yeah, uh huh, right, sure".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

No chance of that. They have gotten Joe to give that message of contrition and he will continue to make them money. I don't think Young or Mitchell thought Joe was going to be cancelled, they just wanted to make a point, which has been heard. I can't recall Joe being that controversial outside of his covid beliefs so this will all blow over when the pandemic finally disappears.

I would have always classed them as centre left ideals alright. Historically freedom of speech and allowing women to choose where they wanted to work were predominantly fought fir by left leaning organisations.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. It's easy to take for granted the advances that the left fought hard for in the past. The way people go on about the dreaded left, you'd swear it was always and forever a force for evil in the world. I doubt Peterson gives much credit to the the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

They already took down a good few episodes from there before the whole Neil Young controversy, so I don't think they're the beacons of free speech that you think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They've already removed 40+ of his podcasts, 100s of hours of other podcasts, 100s of hours of stand up comedy etc.

So get cancelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

But Daniel Ek, the co-founder of Spotify invested €100 million into a military AI firm rather than give the artists on the platform a better royalty rate so take that Suzy Snowflake!!!

Not too sure about that. He seems to really value those things. He's just very vocal in his distain for the far left, especially the Lenin/Marxist ideals where someone's identity is stripped back to what particular group they belong to. Again, this is quite a classical Liberal idea where the individual is an entity by themselves. His stance on identity politics (on both sides of the divide i might add) is probably where he gets the most push back. Again, though, a lot of what he says is reasonable I.e. treat people with respect but don't try to force your ideals on anyone else or compell them to use certain words under threat of legislation.

Maybe he's gone off the deep end lately, maybe not. I can't say as I haven't listened to the most recent podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

4 of Rogan and Guests' greatest Covid misinformation and disinformation hits

(Malone for sure disinformation)

Claim: A vaccine can alter your genes

Mr Rogan said: "This is not a vaccine, this is essentially a gene therapy." But this is not true.

Claim: Ivermectin can cure Covid

This claim was made on an episode last year featuring Bret Weinstein, an American author and professor of biology, who said: "Ivermectin alone is capable of driving this pathogen to extinction."

Claim: If you get vaccinated after having had Covid, you're at greater risk of harmful side effects

One of Mr Rogan's most controversial guests has been the virologist Robert Malone.

Mr Malone was banned from Twitter in December last year for violating its Covid misinformation policies. He appeared on Mr Rogan's podcast shortly afterwards.

Among the misleading claims made in this podcast episode was one suggesting people who are vaccinated after having Covid-19 are at greater risk of adverse side effects.

Claim: For young people, the health risks from the vaccine are greater than from Covid

Mr Rogan said: "I don't think it's true there's an increased risk of myocarditis from people catching Covid-19 that are young, versus the risk from the vaccine."

This also used to be mis/disinformation

Facemasks are an ineffective tool for preventing the spread of Covid-19

Covid-19 was created in a lab

Vaccines prevent the transmission of Covid-19

By far the greatest amount of disinformation and Fake News comes not Joe Rogan or random YouTubers, but the largest media corporations.

No - they were points that more information was learned on (masks) or things changed (Covid variants spread and vaccines)

you're conflating different things

What Rogan and his guests were saying was and is horse shite and in some cases, not just stupid misinformation but active disinformation

masks -> better understanding of airborne nature of Covid led to better understanding of the benefits of masks

lab vs animal -> no definitive proof of what the origin is

vaccines were effective at reducing prior variant spread, not so much omicron

Rogan -> Is a covid mRNA vaccine going to alter your genes? - no - not now and ever

Guest -> Ivermectin was never and never will be "capable of driving this pathogen to extinction"

etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Isn't that like saying the right to vote is a centre left idea?

• Advertisement

Media outlets, from RTE, BBC, CNN, NBC to The New York Times and The Atlantic, spent four years disseminating one false Russia story after the next — from the Kremlin hacking into Vermont's heating system and Putin's sexual blackmail over Trump to bounties on the heads of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan, the Biden email archive being "Russian disinformation,” and a mystery weapon that injures the brains of American diplomats with cricket noises — but for some reason none of that is considered "disinformation” that requires cancelling. Neither it seems are false claims that origin of CV-19 which was proven to be zoonotic rather than a lab leak, the vastly overstated claim that vaccines prevent transmission of COVID, or that Julian Assange stole classified documents and caused people to die.

Why is it that the they are free to spout serious falsehoods without being deemed guilty of disinformation?

What's the definition of anti-vax? A 54 year old not getting the covid vaccination is anti-vax in my eyes.

the issue with Rogan and Spotify etc is about Covid disinformation because when you see that for example, the USA, where the vaccine issue was and still is "complicated", during the delta wave 11 or every 12 Covid deaths in the USA were unvaccinated, when there were 2,000 covid deaths a day, there the impact is pretty clear when vaccination still prevents death in the vast majority of cases.

Even with omicron, which is milder the USA are seeing high Covid death numbers - a lot being unvaccinated deaths which are preventable

when your prior conflation didn't work now you're seeking to broaden this out to all news which is not the point at hand because it's not Covid disinformation related and could meaning looking at all news ever - which is ridiculous

never mind looking at all of Rogan's guests ever on any subject ever and / or all the things that Rogan has ever said on any subject - which is again not the point at hand

The right of aristocrats to vote was a given. The right of normal men to vote, was a radically liberal idea ( through I doubt the term "left" was used back then). Then the right of women was a radically liberal idea, then allowing people like non-whites to vote was radically liberal. Then more recently allowing divorce was radically liberal and decriminalisation of the gays was radically liberal. Then things like caring about the environment was for radical liberals who wear sandals and knit their own muesli

Somehow the liberals are always the gobshytes. Then the ideas become mainstream and people forget the liberals were right years ahead of the rest of the population and move on to ridiculing the left for whatever they're up to at the moment.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that Peterson and Rogan spend a good portion of their 4 hour mutual masterbation session, agreeing with each other about how ridiculous the left is.

It's weird how you see people arguing against ideas of people they have in their head these days..

I suppose it depends on ones definition of 'left' really. I've always associated the left with more Liberal views on society.

The issue at hand is censorship for one set of political ideas and not for the other. In modern-day liberalism, censorship is a religion. They simply cannot stand the idea that anyone who thinks differently or sees the world differently than them should be heard. What used to be called "hate speech" has now morphed into misinformation or disinformation because they can't credibly accuse some people of hate speech so they use mis/disinformation instead.

The U.K.'s Royal Society, its national academy of scientists, this month echoed the view that censorship, is ineffective and breeds even more distrust in authorities. The success of the JRE is highlights that the lack of trust, particularly in traditional media and also because audiences want to hear opinions outside of the tightly sealed echo chambers like RTE, BBC etc. Nobody wants to listen to 20 news channels all saying the same thing with their petulant herd-like employees.

You need to get an eye test or a pair of glasses.

• Advertisement

Covid disinformation is not about a "set of political ideas".

It's about bad information that can end up with people dead who didn't need to be dead.

Case in point the 11 of every 12 Covid deaths in the USA being unvaccinated people (example taken from Delta wave when vaccines were available to all in the USA for months and 2,000 people a day dying of Covid) when vaccines were over 90% effective at preventing Covid death.

Advertisement