Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah, I've accepted the fact an EV probably won't work. We're buying a holiday home abroad, and would love to have a car based there, but it could be left sitting for up to 6 months at a time..

edit: and the house is coming with a 5kWp system!

For longer summer trips we'll probably be driving there from Dublin (2 Ferries & 1,800km drive each way, or 1 ferry & 2,800km each way), but for other shorter trips, having a car there would be mush easier. I have an old ICE here I could bring over and leave there, but long term it'd probably just be less hassle to have a LHD car... I did see a Model 3 for sale for €33k (which would be way too expensive for me anyway!!), but it's an American import with the Tesla charge port, so charging it would be a pain in the arse! (not sure if you could retrofit a CCS2 onto an American Model 3).

I think picking up an old ICE over there is probably the best bet. Would have loved a little EV for there as it's mostly still free charging (AC & DC).edit: and the house is coming with a 5kWp system too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Showers don’t last for several hours. The two are not comparable, you can overload circuits for short periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭zg3409

What happens during the world cup Ireland matches at half time when everyone puts on kettles at exact same time?

Supply to most houses is 60amp, an EV only takes 32 amp max. So even if one EV at every house, it will only be 50% of planned capacity and at night time cookers and showers won't be running. I just think the issue is overplayed, as a downside to EVs when in fact it may be great for the grid. No one cried wild when people installed 40 amp showers , and then put in a second 40 amp shower like half of houses around. Sure upgrades may be needed but typically that's a new local substation that may be old anyway. Heat pumps will have a bigger impact. Load sensing and smart chargers are only shortly away from being a reality. Trials already happening in uk

See this link

While this may seem like doom and gloom it's actually great for the network, users can over-ride the request, and it will only be for a short period if needed. Similar could be done today with immersions. Solar PV prices are also dropping like a stone and some EV owners fill from the sun. Already heavy users such as steel plants agree to short power cuts in exchange for lower prices

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Smart chargers in the UK are flawed as a power control, people already state on the forums that they simply remove the internet connection after the install to avoid any control over charging.

If there's ever anything like that brought in here, I'll simply get a 16a and 32a CEE plug installed. Dumb 32a plug, cheaper than the EV charger (as the EVSE would be in the cable) and not subject to any regulation.

Same reason I'll never get a smart meter. Simply doesnt benefit me to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

The people on forums are almost inevitably in the minority. Most people won't know, won't care and won't touch it and as long as the majority do that, the system could work as planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

You'd be surprised how this stuff penetrates into the public mind and get twisted. Honestly it seems kinda messed up that a law can come into force requiring you to allow remote access to control how power is used in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Supply to most houses is 60amp, an EV only takes 32 amp max. So even if one EV at every house, it will only be 50% of planned capacity and at night time cookers and showers won't be running.

You have a major flaw in your thinking. You are looking at the overall grid, not local.

Your house fuse might be at 50% but the transformer is shared across several houses and has diversity built in so its not sized to give every house 60A at the same time so it could be on fire outside if everyone connected to that specific transformer and charged at 7kW at the same time! :)

I'm being facetious there but my point is, the question that was asked was about local restrictions, not about the overall grid.

What happens during the world cup Ireland matches at half time when everyone puts on kettles at exact same time?

A 2min boil of several 2kW kettle at a local level will be fine. 7kW continuously for hours is a different prospect entirely.

I just think the issue is overplayed, as a downside to EVs when in fact it may be great for the grid

I agree it gets overplayed in terms of the "grid collapsing due to EV's". Loads of spare generation capacity at the grid level at night and as you said it has some significant positive sides but again the question wasnt directed at the grid level but more the local level so I think you are answering a different question.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Another thing, even if we have more EV charge points at home, it's not as if they will all be on charge every night, with greater range this is now not required and there's plenty of folk with no idea on night rate etc who will be charging during the day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Totally true. I was once told never underestimate how lazy/complacent/stupid the "general populous " is. Evidence of this is how a friends sister got a tesla, and just plugged it in at home without thinking about shopping around for electricity. €900 bimonthly bill later and they are confused about these savings that can be made on an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

You feel smug that other have no choice but to pay those high fuel prices? Really….. EV vehicles are not within everyone’s reach…..

• Advertisement

nothing wring with feeling smug.

youd be surprised to see how many people can afford an EV but don’t realise.

my monthly repayments are cheaper than my monthly fuel bill on my old 2006.

the Savings on motor tax alone pays for 2 months repayments. Saving on tolls and insurance another month.

savings on maintenance another months.

so at the the end of the year it’s cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Hi, what's the story with toll savings? Is that just specific companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You need a tag,

I think any of the providers that offer tags facilitate it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have first trip with the EV to Donegal soon. Already having range anxiety.

anybody have any tips ?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Some people have no choice because, perhaps their job involves long distances, perhaps they look at the poor state of the charging network……and let’s hope you don’t have to drive your EV in the north, it’s even worse, not everyone can get a home charger…..

It’s also only limited to the first 50,000 EV’s on the road in Ireland, and once we hit 50,000 EV’s we all lose the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

It is set to terminate at the end of 2022 anyway. Hurry up you newcomers 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That depends on your definition of long distance, I'm quite confident I could drive from Dublin to Cork tomorrow and back if needed, possibly without needing a fast charge depending on how long I'm staying and if a slow charger is available

As for people who drive long distances for work, in most jobs that I've seen which require you to be on the road, either the company provides a fuel card or lets you expense your fuel bills, in which case you wouldn't be worrying about the fuel bill

It's the 80% of drivers who commute less than 50km per day who would benefit the most from driving an EV. A Leaf 40kWh would easily do this and have plenty enough range for the weekend road trip.

I agree the selection of affordable EVs on the market right now is bad. But to be frank, most of the mainstream brands have pretty much given up on affordable cars anyway and have outsourced it to budget brands. With car prices going up across the board the notion of an affordable car is basically dead for now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think the perception of EVs being expensive is more that there is a very very limited second hand market at the moment. And that's where "cheap" cars can be gotten. A huge amount of people never will buy a brand new car.

When youre looking at new cars on their own, EVs really arent a million miles more expensive. For example, irelands best selling car last year was hyundai tucson, price range 35 to 50k. The Ioniq 5 is slightly bigger, same brand, price range 40 to 55k. Which depending on spec means OTR price of both would be similar or the same. So affordable to lots of people who decide to buy new.

32k for an ID4 city on the road

we initially went to Skoda to look at the Scala and Kamiq as I saw Them advertised as 219 a month went to see them and they were too small, looked at the Karoq and thought it was a nice car, but at 350 a month I thought I’d look at what others have. Found the ID4, the range suits 99% of our driving, only 220 a month vs 250+ for fuel ( with 4c off a litre)

Well the second car market is a bit different for EVs and people will get used to. A 64kWh battery is a commodity which will have a good value irrespective of the state/age of the car. Unless somewhere in the future we can speak of cars of 500kWh the car will have value due to that battery which can be used in many other applications.

I made a mock up route here. You can play with the departure and destination. On my route you need to add about 40kWh to get back to Dublin.

Just as you go around Monaghan there's an eCars 50kW charger in a petrol station... I'd be topping up on that as much as I could before entering the charging wilderness of NI.

And while up there, I'd take anything I could get, even off a slow AC if I was spending 20-30 minutes close to one.

Whenever going through NI I assume there will be no DC options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Advertisement

Could be 4h at destination, or 20h on granny, all depends on the situation. I actually done that drive few weeks back and it was 4h at destination. Neither of the FCPs in Letterkenny were in use when I passed them but I chose the AC as I knew I have a long meeting ahead.

Advertisement