Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Court Describes Traveller Community as “Vulnerable Minority”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And will continue thus for as long this group of otherwise perfectly ordinary Irish people continue to get special treatment. How on earth we have got to a position where they can do what they will is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There is no need to change all of Traveller culture, just those aspects of it that are born mainly of toxic masculinity, the treatment of women and girls, the fighting, the disregard for the environment etc.

Traveller culture wasn't always such. If you go back far enough, they were the original recyclers, taking old stuff and upcycling and reusing. The nomadic aspect to their culture isn't wrong of itself either. However, an awful lot needs to change and very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get back to us for a high five when it's down to 50%.

"The statistics in this regard are stark. On foot of the census carried out by the CSO in 2016, we are aware that 80% of Travellers within the potential workforce are unemployed in comparison with 13% of the general population. Some 1.1% of Travellers are self-employed, compared with 16.6% of the wider community." https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/joint_committee_on_key_issues_affecting_the_traveller_community/2019-12-10/2/

And how do you surgically cut out the tumours? I doubt it can be done.

I think it's more practical to take away/treat Travellers exactly the same as other Irish people... with the emphasis on showing how the negative aspects of Traveller culture are so bad for them.. and then later, once Travellers are no longer such a disadvantaged group, come back to supporting the revitalisation of the culture.

As long as Travellers are supported by the State to be different, there's no real pressure on them to change. I've known many Traveller families over the years, and there's a lot of peer/familial pressure (often violent in nature) to continue living as their parents/grandparents did. To entice Travellers away from that lifestyle, it needs to be revealed as impractical in a modern setting. Supporting it doesn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am with you that there is a requirement for massive massive changes in Traveller culture. However, we haven't ever tried to properly address it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,753 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Imho the younger generation have no respect and act the eegit hard men and women etc.,

This will set a precedent and open a can of worms for local councils

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

From time to time I read about illegal dumping by halting sites but what I never read or hear about is anyone being fined or prosecuted by the local council over the Illegal dumping when it takes place at halting sites.

While there is often prosecutions by councils against other people for Illegal dumping' like I said never do I hear about any prosecutions when Illegal dumping takes place by halting sites' given such a lack of prosecutions what other way can people Interpret things other then legal Immunity as the other poster said..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

That would be ideal but Travellers aren't even able to get a pint in a pub, how do you expect them to just go out and get a job?

I don't know what the answer is, but expecting Travellers to abandon everything they've ever known, their entire families and way of life, to better fit in with a society that has only ever treated them like dirt and ostracised them, is a tough ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they don't get special treatment, they get some extra help and supports due to the greater difficulties they face compared to the rest of us.

they don't get to do what they will, the greater amount of travelers in prison shows this.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Chicken and the egg problem. All the negatives you have mentioned have a root cause. Suggesting that reactions to the root causees need to be addressed first is simply not getting it.

• Advertisement

all of those are against the law already, so all that is needed is more gardai to enforce the laws.

Great... an even higher percentage of Travellers in prison... how does that resolve anything? It's merely deferring the problem on to other generations.

they could interpret it as the councils not doing their jobs, which is really the correct interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is important to note the council failed in their duty to provide accommodation after the initial site was damaged. They also didn't go take the funding waiting to be used for that very purpose. They then want to kick them off the land with no alternative. The council failed here in their duties.

I have had run ins with certain travelers over the years and I could easily think of them as all the same. The reality is councils all over Ireland are refusing money to provide accommodation that they are meant to. That is discrimination and they are a separate minority in this country how anybody following the law could see it differently would be a miracle.

I get why people knee jerk to the ruling but the council are at fault here. They have to acomadate them and if they think they don't they should resign.

it is getting it because we know what exactly is going on.

the reactions to the route cause are not reactions to the route cause, but to the fact the individuals are of a particular background in the first place.

the reactions to the route cause are disproportionate compared to the reaction to the route causes of any other individuals outside the community who have had the exact same route cause, not based on the amount of individuals who the route causes apply to but because of the backgrounds the individuals from the traveling community come from.

how does anyone going to prison resolve anything?

ultimately where an individual is a danger to the public then sending them to prison protects the rest of us from them regardless of who those individuals are.

for the non-criminal aspects of traveler culture then education is the only option, removing supports or other things certainly won't change it but would highly likely make a lot of them regress further into those aspects so that's not an option.

removing supports or other things certainly won't change it but would highly likely make a lot of them regress further into those aspects so that's not an option.

How do we know it's not an option when it hasn't been attempted? There hasn't been any research/investigation into whether it's a viable answer to the situation. Instead, the focus is entirely on supporting Travellers in maintaining the lifestyle they have.

As for education, that does nothing to affect adult travellers, and relying on it as a means to educate/inform travellers does nothing to encourage change. It's a long-term hope that may or may not work...

As for regressing.. they're already there. Look at the rates of criminality within the Traveller community. Not all of what happens results in people going to jail, so there's a lot of scope for criminality to exist within the culture but protected by the community itself. Domestic abuse being a good example of such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

So its the guards fault for not stopping them from breaking the law?

Considering the consensus here is that the guards aren't doing enough to police the state, people only go to prison when they get caught, adolescent Travellers commit a lot of crimes and its actually hard enough for someone from any background to get a prison sentence these days if they have a sob story the below figures are totally disgraceful:

“It also reflects a wider trend in the criminal justice system. We know that Traveller men make up more than 10% and Traveller women make up 22% of the adult prison population. The total Traveller population only constitutes 0.7% of the population.”

we know from the country's own past that such would not work, because the brutalisation of catholics is one of the main reasons why upon our part liberation from the UK ireland turned heavily to the church.

• Advertisement

no, it's the government's fault that they won't fund and resource the gardai sufficiently so that they can catch more law breakers

obviously it is the fault of the individual who breaks the law that they break it.

yes the gardai dismantled the tent and rightly so.

a job well done.

those who attended would have been in contempt of court so it's for the court to decide what should have happened in relation to this incident.

Entirely different situation, and also a very different time. Society has moved on considerably since then. You're not comparing like with like.

Anyway, treating Travellers the same as other Irish people doesn't remove all their supports/benefits. It simply doesn't provide extra benefits to being a Traveller, or provide the emphasis on retaining Traveller culture.

when you engage in attempts to eradicate a culture, then the people of that culture whether it be religious or other, will turn harder to that culture as soon as the ability for them to do so comes around.

the fact that ireland's hard turn to the cc was a century ago and society has moved on does not change that fact.

of course i am not comparing like with like as catholicism and traveler culture are different things with catholicism being a religion and traveler culture being a way of life, but the facts still remain the same when attempts are made to forcibly move people away from cultural or religous ways of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Blacksmiths

Shoemakers

Cottage farmers

To give just three examples, all had to abandon their way of life and embrace change, why are travellers any different ?, their " culture " is obsolete ,even the bits that weren't destructive

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hodger

This bar owner said it out straight " I had problems with travelers in the past and I won,t have it again ". a lot of bar owners would say likewise to be honest.

because the 3 professions you mention we professions which for the most part became unviable due to plastics and mechanisation etc.

traveler culture on the other hand, is a culture and way of life.

when you engage in attempts to eradicate a culture, then the people of that culture whether it be religious or other, will turn harder to that culture as soon as the ability for them to do so comes around.

I didn't say anything above about eradicating a culture. In fact, I said above that it should be downplayed while Travellers are weaned away from the negative aspects of Traveller culture, and once that's achieved, revitalise the interest in the positive aspects of Traveller culture.

of course i am not comparing like with like as catholicism and traveler culture are different things with catholicism being a religion and traveler culture being a way of life, but the facts still remain the same when attempts are made to forcibly move people away from cultural or religous ways of life.

So, you know its not a valid comparison. Grand. And we already seek to regulate the behaviour of people in society through taxes, laws, fines, etc. We've already decided that various behaviours are unwelcome, or shouldn't be allowed. The fact is that the only real difference between Irish people and Travellers is their culture, and that cultural difference points to the recurrent behaviours relating to crime, abuse, etc.

it's a valid comparison as the principals are the same.

i didn't say you wanted to eradicate traveler culture, i am well aware you didn't.

however again the principal of what you suggest and the principal of someone who would want to eradicate the culture end up in a similar situation if carried out.

the negative aspects of traveler culture are already against the law so those issues can be dealt with if the will to fund the resources to enforce the law were given.

• Advertisement

It's not a valid comparison. It's not comparing like with like, and you already acknowledged the difference between a religion and a cultural group. Never mind, the difference between Ireland of today, vs that time in the past.

The negative aspects of Traveller culture are protected and encouraged within the umbrella that is Traveller culture. It provides an excuse to behave in such a manner.. and while it is against the law, the community tends to protect those who engage in it. The roles of men/women boys/girls are not set by mainstream Irish culture, but by Traveller culture, and that extends into how people behave towards each other and those outside the Traveller community.

The decline in acceptance by Travellers of Traveller culture would automatically cause the decline of that behaviour, because the triggers would be removed. The best way to remove a habit is to alter the environment where people are... whether that's the case of the physical location such as halting sites (which tend to be disasters even when built by the council), or simply that welfare is not extended to a ethnic group, rather than individual circumstances (the same as it is for most Irish people).

At that point your belief in education would be most effective... but without the effort to remove those triggers, education is not going to accomplish much except as a way of deferring the problem on to the next generation.

Advertisement