Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Positives

• Thought Rea jnr was industrious again! just doesn't give up. Just shows continued games can make big difference. No idea why he only got one year.
    • What I would do to have a 30 year old Vermeulen, he looked like he was enjoying himself last night. He's definitely managing his game a bit but just does the basics perfectly and puts his fingers all over the game. There was one ruck someone was holding on to him he slapped them and you could see the fear in the scarlet player he even apologised lol!
    • Curtis also had another good game, we really are blessed at centre
    • Doak being Doak, that kick for Gilroy's try.
    • Scarlets handling, that was a get out of jail game last night

Negatives

• Carter can't ball carry to save his life, some of the players need to take note of the angle Vermuelen takes when carrying!
    • Milasinovich scored yes, but his ruck defence on our try line was shocking. He needs game time/match fitness and we're probably lucky Moore returned
    • Breaking the game line. There was one carry from the scrum by Vermuelen that made at least 10 metres and we pretty much lost all that momentum being forced back immediately in following phases.
    • We have no solution for a ignore the ruck fan out defence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Interesting interview with Mark Robson on the Belfast Telegraph Ulster Rugby podcast this week. You should check it out.

Thought Marcus Rea was excellent, he was definitely was my player of the match.

Vermuelen put in a shift as well and these are exactly the games where he needs to do it.

Definitely more a game for the forwards but we did see some nice touches from some of the backs.

I'm liking Curtis, I doubted him a few weeks ago, so nice to see him get a couple of games in a row under his belt. Hopefully he gets a decent run over the 6Ns period as he is a nice second five eighth option in the midfield.

Shame Sexton couldn't just break free at the end, as a try there would have given him some boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yet to watch it back, but felt at the ground last night that performance was complete mince.

Doak was slow much of the time, very slow. Curtis and Lyttle were interested, as they've had so little gametime.

5 points and a slap round the back of the head for most players, and move on.

Sometimes I’m glad the non Irish teams are average!

We really need a plan B when teams just fan out and defend ignoring most break downs!

Really please Rea is showing his worth now. Hopefully Allison & Stewart can get some game time now over 6 nations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

just watched the junior cup final.

fantastic game - fast quality rugby from both sides, breathless stuff. Very physical stuff.

lots of young players inc the Clogher captain.

Clogher sneaked it at the last.

credit to both coaches and players.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think we got lucky last night, Peyper shafted the Scarlets with more than 1 dodgy decision.

These indifferent performances are semi-frequent these days, McFarland really needs to address this. We get away with it a lot because the standard of opposition is pretty low. Perhaps that plays a part in it, the players find it difficult to motivate themselves for league games. Whatever it is, it needs work.

Clogher are a good side this year, they won't be far away from winning the Ulster Qualifying League or whatever they call it these days.

Vermeulen said it best post match, we need consistency before we want anything else!

On another note Josh Murphy off to Connacht he would of been a great signing for us. Talk on premiere sports Leinster intend to make some cuts to their squad this season due to less games.

I think we were the better side awec. But it wasn't a brilliant performance by any means.

We need more depth in the pack, simple as that.

The good news is the Ireland U20 squad is full of Ulster second rows and back rows for the first time in years...maybe decades! But in the short term we need something in the pack.

Starting McCann over Jones would be a start, and while I accept what Carter brings to the set piece, I'd be throwing Kearney a start next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No, thanks. My diary is full of pushing needles in my ears sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Clogher are good side. Good to see Ulster sides at this level as this has been dominated by Leinster clubs for most of the competitions history and its same with promotion to senior by and large.

It will be themselves or Inst who will win league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jones is a decent player! Why is he so maligned here? Obviously, the coaching staff rate him. McAnn will have his time. You'd swear that Jones was holding Ulster back!

Jones is just in a position were no one can lock it down, in a pack were no-one can ball carry and people look to there 6/8 for that.

That sounds like the sort of opinion that he addressed on the podcast!!

It turns out commentators have feelings too...who knew...

He's alright, he puts in the odd decent carry...it's just that some of us feel that McCann is better.

we were the better side overall but Gilroy should have been sent off and Burns should have gone to the bin IMO.

Carter is an awful signing. I still can’t believe we’re keeping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I’m sure they are. He seems like a good guy from what I’ve seen him on social media. I think he’s mature enough to know he’s not every one’s cup of tea.

He’s getting paid to watch rugby, ultimately he’s winning.

Squad news good & bad

Moore concussed and will not be available this week, He's had quite a few concussions now? nearly time to sit out till end of season?

Rea Snr, Murphy, Izuchukwu have started their reintegration into rugby training, so few more weeks and they'll hopefully be back. Didn't Marshall get injured before Izu?

• Advertisement

Some more squad news

Shanahan signed until 2024

Postlewaite 1 year development, followed by 3 year senior

Moxham 1 year development, followed by 1 senior (interesting compared to Postlewaite)

Declan Moore 2 year deal, little underwhelmed by this to say the least only played 10mins for Munster. Dan must of seen something during his loan period though, will wait and see potentially 4th choice hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Moore signing is probably just for depth. He's not done anything with Munster.

Herring, Stewart, McCormack and Moore?

They must seriously rate Postlewaite!

That's basically a 4 year contract for someone who has never played a competitive match for Ulster!

Glad wee Dave got another 2 years, he is very much 3rd choice but he is hard not to like.

Happy for Moxham, give him time and see what he becomes but as Launish says its interesting to compare his contract to Postlewaites.

Nothing to say on Moore. I just hope he does well and doesn't blunt the progress of Stewart and McCormick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Gilroy cited, or so I just read on twitter.

It is indeed, when you consider he's never had a senior game let alone u20s?

Then you have Moxham with 11 appearances (119 minutes senior rugby). Wonder has someone been sniffing.

All the same it's good to see Ulster backing our youth going forward.

Does that leave Finlay, Allison & Rankin the only 3rd years left with no contracts?

Can't complain, will leave us short this week though unless Lowry or Hume are released

Yeah, the Postlethwaite contract is extraordinary.

Moore is completely out of left-field. Is he better than Andrew? I'd say those two, Herring and Stewart are our senior four hookers next season. I assuem the point of Moore is that he isn't going to hold Stewart back - he'll maybe be like Mathewson providing a bridge as Doak was eased in.

I wonder if Postlethwaite was getting his head turned.

Quite possibly. Put in some great performances for the 7s - had maybe come onto other sides' radars.

• Advertisement

Unsurprising, and merited. Looks like Sexton's getting his first start v Connacht.

Advertisement