Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Does lavrov forget Afghanistan was bombed back to the stone age by the Russians ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

They're not without sin in Libya or Yugoslavia either...

And who could forget Crimea?

To get back on topic, if this country decided to go the fast jet route, why procure Gripen when Finland and the Swiss have determined it's more expensive to operate than the F35? The idea of procuring jets to intercept stricken airliners or shadowing Bears is really quite silly. You either do it right or get someone else to do it.

I Don't think operating the Gripen is any where near the cost of the F35 ,I think of countries are going the F35 cost its more to do with over all capability ,the F35 is not a dog fighter ,bit can operate in highly contested battlespace they are using the F35 to replace the f18 and aging F5s ,

The Gripen is a fairly low cost platform compared to the F35 over all but they are both different tools for different jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I have not seen anything that reflects that opinion on the Gripen. If anything Gripen consistently comes back as the lower cost option, both in terms of unit and lifetime operating costs. Finland chose F35 because they expect it to remain in service until the 2060s, and went with the more modern design.

Gripen was not in the running for the Swiss competition this time round. The F35 defeated in their process the F/A-18 Super Hornet (They currently operate Hornet) and Eurofighter Typhoon. Gripen was ruled out in 2019 not because of cost, but because the E/F which SAAB was offering was still only in development, and the competition was only open to aircraft currently in Production. The Swiss competition may not be over yet though. Many there are uncomfortable with the purchase of the US made aircraft, which is becoming a NATO favourite.

I don't understand what you mean in your final line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I was thinking about this whole debate and wanted to get some context.

Everyone says we can't afford the defence costs.

Let's look at some comparable numbers: Denmark.

Population:

Denmark: 5.8m

Ireland: 4.995m

GDP 2020:

Denmark: €355bn

Ireland: €455bn

Defence Spending 2020:

Denmark: €25bn

Ireland: €1.3bn

Denmark has about 4 squadrons of aging F-16s, with old Drakens as trainers and reconnaissance.

According to Wikipedia, it has 12 large and 4 medium naval vessels and a couple of dozen small craft.

Ireland can afford this, if it wants to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Of course we can find it, just a reminder for people the largest spending option suggested in the commissions report in terms of percentage would effectively only return us to our defence spending level of pre 1998 where we spent approximately 1% of gdp on defence. A spend when we were a smaller poorer nation and yet now somehow returning to that level is to some an impossibility. The Option 3 basically moves us to having the basic capabilities that pretty much all other EU nations including the neutral nations take for granted.

So does everyone on Irish Twitter that somehow sees everything wrong with actions of the West, yet somehow can defend the Russians, prime example being Mick and Claire.

Honestly not sure why the Swiss have bought it, other than the usual questions as to LMs alternative procurement processes (ie bribes), Finlands decision is more geared towards dealing with the Russians next door with the current attitude from Vlad. The Gripen E/F is certainly being squeezed by the F16 and upgraded C/Ds, but with SAAB involved in the US trainer and the U.K. new fighter they should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Sergei Lavrov is engaged in convenient forgetting....such as overt/covert Russian support for Serbia (weapons and manpower) in the Balkans War, current aid and support to the odious Syrian regime, it's own behaviour in Chechnya and it's historical behaviour in Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

According to the figures I found (Google search, not investigative reporting), that 1.3bn figure represents 0.29% of GDP.

• Advertisement

Someone on twitter last week was posting images of various bits of military equipment we should have, stating the price, and pointing out how the HSE spends the same amount in a week in administration.

We cannot boast to the world about our thriving economy and our increased tax take on one hand then say we need money for hospitals and homeless instead of defence on the other.

We can afford all these things, easily.

We have a trade surplus of €4.6Bn , which took a temporary nose dive while brexit started, but never went near deficit, and has not done since 1984.

Time to give up the poor mouth. Based on Q1, Q2 & Q3, our 2021 GDP looks like it will safely exceed 2020, which was a terrible year due to Covid etc.

Ireland GDP, billion currency units, September, 2021 - data, chart | TheGlobalEconomy.com

What do you mean? The current spend is about that yeah (of course with the usual issue with our figures), either way you look at it the Option 3 gets us to circa 1% of gdp. Back in the mid 90s we spent 1% or above, in the 80s it was at times above 1.5% of gdp. Now of course as I said due to the smaller size of the economy then the real term value was much less even at that spend, however in 08 while we spend only circa 0.6% on defence that was 1.5 billion (ie basically the Option 2 suggestion).

So by any reasonable discussion this idea that it's an impossibility for the state to spend 50%-300% more on defence is ignoring the last 30 years or so of spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Source showing Denmark spends 25 billion euro on defence? Seems hard to believe, I'm guessing you mean 25bn Danish krone, which is actually more like €3.36bn

I just made a similar point elsewhere. If we could afford to spend 1.6% of GDP on defence in 1980, there is zero reason we can't spend 1.6% on Defence today, and see a properly equipped organisation,who's staff are paid enough so that they generate enough disposable income to support the local economy, and in turn the National economy. When you consider that the majority of our DF are on the lower rate of tax due to their low wages (You'll have to hit 40K before you start hitting the higher rate) the government are doing the economy a disservice. Compare to AGS on the other hand, who after a short few years are on on the upper rate.(My 2nd year of service in AGS saw me hitting the top rate of tax) In effect, they are self funding the organisation in which they work, to a certain degree.

As the last 24 months have demonstrated, while the Government literally paid people from state coffers to stay home, results show our economy thrived because they now had the income to support it. Just look at the GDP figures for Q3 of 2021, when the majority of retail was fully open again.

Assuming a 70/30 split for DF spending being Pay/Non-pay, then going with the 1% rule gives you the best part of €3bn to spend improving the pay and conditions of everyone in the organisation. Because clearly we won't need to spend that on a force of less than 9000 in 2023, the balance can go a long way towards realistically equipping the Defence Forces.

€1.5bn can set us up with a Sqn of 2nd Hand Rafales plus weapons, training and support. €250m is expected cost of a MRV for the NS. €150M would get you an A400m or a C130j-30

1% is a number we should all get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

yeah 25Bn Kr is closer to the mark. About 1.4% of their GDP. something we should be aiming for.

Bottomed out at 1.1% in 2015 but has started increasing again. They were 2.3% in 1980, compared to our 1.8% at the time.

This recent article suggests that an F35 and a Gripen E/F (purchased in quantity) are approximately equal in cost (per unit, not factoring enduring costs which are purportedly lower for the F35). Presumably what's being discussed here is an ex-Swedish C/D variant, but this illustrates that the F35 is not the F22, its the common or garden (and therefore, cheap) F16 of the future. Why buy anything else?

The Gripen is a useful tool for the likes of South Africa or Brazil (i.e. not fighting the Russians), but for us it is only useful to aerial photographers and air show organisers. 'Interception' in peace time is not a good use of always stretched defence resources. Intercepting in war time is the least of our worries as an island nation.

The only reason our defence resources are "stretched" is successive governments have continued reducing the Defence Budget since 1980 as % of GDP, while all other sectors held their %, or increased it.

The fact that the Gripen wasn't in the running for the Swiss tells us all we need to know - if there's one country in the world that considers the ability to intercept important, it's them.

My point in the last line is that Ireland should not be replicating in the smallest, most tokenistic way the competencies of other nearby countries. Our interests are - regardless of our supposed neutrality - European interests. It makes sense for Poland to unilaterally procure fighters, tanks and self propelled artillery. Should we also procure that materiale? Should Poland procure OPVs?

8 - 12 fighters does nobody any favors. The fact that our airspace is supposedly undefended in peace time should not keep us up at night. What should keep us awake is spending a fortune on fighters, taking resources away from assets that are useful to Irish interests and complementary (i.e. not replicating) European defence capabilities.

The cheapest Gripen model comes in just under 30 million (open to correction ) which would still be 50 million before Factoring in having to buy the various armaments missles wise , where everyone else already has various missles stocked that can be used with a Gripen or F35 if moving up from a previous US made jet ,F16/f18 ,the Gripen I believe has easier maintenance and turn around times ,

I'd be looking at the Gripen type aircraft till we have the resources to maintain a more advanced and complicated aircraft but by that time the F35 would be cheaper again the more F35s sell the cheaper they get ,

Or we could look at the Tempest being developed by the UK and Sweden to replace the euro fighter ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Finland is in the process of a major procurement and modernisation for their airforce, they plan to decommission their entire inventory of F18s (approximately 60 aircraft) over the next 6-7 years and replace them with a similar number of F35s.

Since Ireland doesnt seem to need cutting edge weapons and would be adequately served by last gen/current gen platforms would it not make sense to look at purchasing several of the F18s?

I can't find any information about what Finland plan to do with them, nothing on a potential buyer anyway, so they've either not decided or the aircraft may end up in reserve or rusting away in hangars

Point of fact, Poland has OPVs in fact they intended to half something like a half dozen but their project when absolutely off the rails which only resulted in one OPV being bought. And yes at the very least we should look at SP Artillery even if it’s just truck mounted not tracked at the very least. And if we are talking about 3 billion budget the idea that 8-12 fighters is not spending a fortune when you are talking about the time period such capabilities would be generated.

@donvito99 just realised something if we say some how get 10 F35s , before we get them we would need to revamp casement and possibly any aerodrome, new maintaining facilities and likely hardened security just for the aircraft ,but then we would need to buy advanced trainers and several advanced simulators before we get a single qualified pilot to fly one ,

The is definitely more to the cost than it first seems ,

Again open to correction.

There’s Tempest or the FCAS between Germany/France/Spain, though really looking at a 5th gen or 6th gen fighter is over kill for anything we are talking about, we are not talking about strike missions in any situation like Finland has to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,413 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

An island nation on the periphery of Europe, geographically ….

that means the primary manner of attacking us would be air or maybe by sea..

But…. Not a single attack jet aircraft to defend ourselves , we have just under 3000 kilometres of coastline to defend..9 or so ships if seaworthy and enough sailors with which to do it… one ship per 333 kilometres of coastline.

if we were in any peril our defence forces are so unable, so under resourced, it would like trying to put out a fire with a mars bar ffs…

having personnel is one thing but if they don’t have what they require to do the job you are asking them, you might as well have zero.

Before I googled I said .. “ ok I’m willing to bet our naval services are under resourced, undermanned too” it’s an Irish thing so…

Yep… we don’t have enough resources to keep us safe…to maintain our wellbeing…”a shortage of sailors, poor pay and allowances, increasing responsibilities, lack of powers and old infrastructure, “naval commanders have told Oireachtas members.

Incapable of defending us by air, so by sea ? Nope can’t defend us that way or by throwing fig rolls at the would be aggressor.

so we are a sitting duck on the periphery of Europe.

at home I have a good alarm, Windows and doors with security certs, and a baseball bat under the bed for whatever use that will be, hit a home nun probably…. But fûck it….

730 people in the Aer Corps, but not a single aircraft with which the country and its citizens can be defended…. Yep, great isn’t it..

be like Manchester City having 300 admin staff but not bothering signing players… weird.

Should have maybe said hypothetically speaking if we were looking at the F35 ,

Whatever 6th gen brings we definitely won't be needing it ,the F35 has only come into service and it's replacement along with the f22 is already flying depending on what you believe

Just for balance, manpower shortages particularly in Navies is nothing new or particular to us. The RN had destroyers and frigates laid up for years for manpower shortages and never for example had the manpower/budget to sustain all three Invincibles in service for extended periods. Other Navies like the RCN or RAN for example had significant issues sustaining SSK crews, and I think the RAN still have a couple of frigates out of service. All of these services had budgets that dwarfed the entire DF budget, and agin that’s a result of the political decisions or the DOD back to the founding of the state.

The new fighter is for the F22, the 35 is going to be in production for some time, the 22 needs replacing due to shortage of numbers among other things. Though at the same time the USAF has also restarted orders for the new gen F15s as well. As to the question of whether we should build up the capability for some fighter capability, the only alternative is a full and formal agreement for someone else doing it, most likely with the possibility of them operating out of an Irish base.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

An also the fact that they used syria as a sales office to show what there weapons could do as they levelled the place. Did the aircraft carrier break diwn when it was there?

• Advertisement

Yes, it also lost at least one aircraft during operations.

Advertisement