Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I have no doubt Liverpool could identify a player to play on the right, for 35- 55 million, and pay him 70k a week. I believe there is a willingness there to sell Salah, if the money is just to much that Salah wants.

Seems football is changing, Super Star players are luxuries, status symbols, Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Zaltan, Mbappe, big names but they haven't won a CL in yonks, or not at all. All they are is Club Rolex's. They all do the rounds in leagues with no competition, and gather their countless league titles, but when the chips are down they come up short. must be nearly ten year since Messi won a CL.

With Mbappe gone to Madrid , PSG will want Salah, and pay him what he wants, and he can gather all the league titles he can dream of there. Plus Mane can go back to playing on the right, with DIaz on left, and maybe sign a CF with salah money.

It could be the making of us for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Bellingham and Nkunku in the summer and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

There will be a fee as he is under 24 and out of contract. If we cannot agree one with Fulham it goes to tribunal to decide a fee. Fulham may want to accept the fee we offer and we may want to pay that, because who knows what the tribunal will decide. But we have time now to negotiate with Fulham to agree a fee. He was supposed to be loaned back in any case and is still out of contract at the end of the season, so nothing has really changed, other than he is not our player yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think he'd be 'free'to a foreign club though, not 100% sure on that, but I thi k it's correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I can see there is a training fee or something like that from FIFA for players under 24, so it will not be free but could be less. I hope there won't be a problem with the transfer, we had it all agreed already with Fulham so it would just be a case of updating the contracts between the clubs. The player was willing to agree and the clubs as well so you would think it is just a matter of getting it officially done for us to avoid a drawn out drama involving other clubs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will these younger new players being signed and coming throught the ranks give Klopp a new lease of life to work with them for a while and sign a new contract extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

The Carvalho transfer may have missed the PL registration deadline but it doesn't mean a binding agreement between all three parties hasn't been entered into.

If Fulham and Liverpool sign an option agreement that Liverpool will pay €10m to Fulham for Carvalho June 1st and Carvalho signs an option agreement with Liverpool that Liverpool can sign him to a 5 year contract on £X a week etc on June 1st the "transfer" is legally done bar the actual registration of Carvalho as a Liverpool player with the PL.

I'd be surprised if the 3 parties, who essentially agreed to this deal but missed the PL deadline last night, didn't enter into such an arrangement as it gives all three parties the certainty they want albeit without Carvalho being registered as a Liverpool player until June 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Salah is a luxury now? Hilarious take on his worth to the club.

In terms of the window I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect us to do any business as it has been unusual for us to do anything major in January. Don't know much about Diaz but hope he offers better alternatives to Mane in particular. I figured one or both of Taki and Origi would be gone in this window, strange to see them both still at the club.

It was an even greater surprise that we spent any money at all. I have been convinced by a few here that the club had no money to spend on transfers and had no way of coming up with any. Who knew? Since it wasn't raised from player sales let's just chalk it down to FSG finding it down the back of the couch I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If Liverpool win the League cup, he will be entitled to a League cup metal yes. He played in 4 of the 5 games.

Raul Meireles was entitled to one in 2012, even though he left the club at the end of the summer transfer window on a permanent transfer as he had played in one of the earlier rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The FIFA inspired 'training fee' is capped at something ridiculous like €500K.

There appears to be an agreement in place between the two clubs. Carvalho was happy to join and was reportedly interested in working with Klopp, let's be honest any young talented footballer would be mad to not want to be developed by Klopp. There's also the Neco Williams and Harry Wilson factor, they are testament to the high standards that are expected at Liverpool so the player is not likely to get ideas about cruising through the rest of the season at Fulham.

No doubt there will be a few click bait articles between now and July but I don't foresee any reason why Liverpool would pull out of the deal to sign the player at present. Of course if some long lost uncle of Carvalho's shows up and decides that everything needs to be renegotiated for the good of 'the family' then of course the move is likely to collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Fairly certain it has been the case that there has been money to be spent due to last season Champions League qualification now combined with the additional payments of qualifying for the last 16 of the competition. FSG don't dip into the transfer market with funds that have not be earned by the club either by player sales or on field earnings so I doubt they have suddenly changed their policy for this one January transfer window.

Just seen the proposed Mbappe deal with Real for next season... €50m a year 😮😮😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

You are aware of the concept of time yes? We said the club spent what it earned and the clubs previous account proved this to anyone who bothered to look. So any money not spent in previous windows on transfers was because it was spent on other things. But it was spent.

Nobody has seen the clubs accounts for the 2021 yet so nobody has commented in on whether they have money now or not.

I personally said I expect us to sign players this summer,we started early because we had to.

Don't worry I am aware how the club operates. Just having a little fun with a few here who only a couple of weeks ago were adamant we had no money. All of a sudden we spend a decent amount this window and people are talking about Bellingham and more in the summer. I guess the resident accountants say it is ok to start talking about transfers again, a sudden change I welcome 😉

• Advertisement

I know he isn't allowed to sign a pre contract with another English club however it looks pretty good that it is a done deal.

Lol and this first comment is blaming FSG for not getting it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They have no transfer fee to pay so he should absolutely milk Real. Its the future, big stars will run down their contracts and go get the big money on the their next move. If we don't nail down Salah, he will do the same.

Real are getting a great deal though to be fair, hes an absolute superstar and will lead there line for the next 5-7 years.

Couldn't get the paperwork in on time, FSG are so cheap won't even get a reliable fax machine. #fsgout

its some money all the same. I wonder does that scupper salah now tho! With Haaland also potentially making his big move this summer there probably wont be too many destinations left for him after this. PSG maybe his only option and I don't know if he would fancy that!!

Barca love a dick measuring contest with Real, so will go all out for Haaland I feel.

• Advertisement

I'm think the same, I feel Barca (broke and all as they are) will still do everything in their power to get Haaland and if they do that only leave PSG for Salah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Looking at the squad for next season without getting rid of to many of this seasons one.

Adding 3 additions

I think we need two midfielders as a priority and maybe one more forward.

Bellingham, Tielemans and if there is money Raphinha

Goalkeepers.

Ali & Kelleher

Left Backs

Robbo & Tsimikas

Center Backs

VVD, Matip, Konate & Gomez

Right Backs

TAA

Midfield

Fab, Hendo, Thiago, Elliott, Jones & Bellingham, Tielemans

Forward

Bobby, Mane, Salah, Jota & Daiz & Raphinha

Going,

Adrian, Karius, Phillips, N Williams, Milner, Minamino, Origi more than likely all going.

Ox and Naby Lad are the two with question marks about next season I'd personally keep them as squad players just to have a really big squad next season to go full tilt for all 4 competitions maybe 6 if we win the Champions League this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not right now he's not, but if we pay up big for his services, 450k a week, then he becomes one, someone we keep at all costs, who we tie down until he's 34?

In Spain, France, Italy players like Ronaldo, Messi, Zlatan ect can play into their mid/late 30s, but in Premier League we don't see this, Aguero , Aubameyany, Zlatan, and now Ronaldo just can't cut it in this league. I'm sure Aubameyang will find La Liga so much easier for example. Aguero was only 31 when at City he went down hill fast, same with Aubameyang, only 31 when the struggle began in PL.

Vardy is an exception, level has dropped, but plays when fit full stop, so gets his regular supply of goals, but team suffers for it, he has one tackle all season, and one interception. That's the total opposite of a 30 year old Vardy.

We all want Salah to stay, but we need to realize he'll drop off in many areas of his game by the age of 32. That is 4 seasons away though, so yes I want him to stay, but needs to be at a realistic price, we won't be paying over 300k to him, so its a stumbling block, as he can get 700k elsewhere at end of contract.

I agree the Permier League is physically tougher on players but some of the names you mentioned had other factors affecting their form as they got older. Auba has previous attitude problems and has put in questionable effort in the last 18 months. Aguero had lots of injury problems. Salah rarely has an injury and has maintained impeccable form even through last season when we were a bit of a mess for about 4 months.

I get it that as a players gets older the risk of injury or loss of form gets bigger. But I think the risk with Salah is still low risk. We should be offering him the maximum we can afford, the question is how much will that be. With the club showing an upward trend in revenue through gate receipts from an expanded Anfield, growing merchandise sales and sponsorship deals we should have a bit more to bargain with going forward. I really hope talks are ongoing with him and the Diaz deal does not impact the talks in any way.

I don't see us getting all 3 of those targets but it would be awesome if we did.

I think midfield is critical to resolve for next season as I feel it is what is going to costs us this year. We are giving up so many chances to the opposition. I know some of this is down to VVD not been back to his imperious best, but if VVD can't get back to those levels then its even more vital we strengthen the middle with proper technical midfielders.

Henderson cant impose himself like he used too and he turns 32 in June so considering the role he plays that could catch up on him next season. I don't know if Jones has it in him to be a top quality week in week out Liverpool midfielder, he looks good when we are on the ball and going forward but he has completely wilted when the pressure has come on us, he struggles to retain the ball and is weak/poor in the tackle. Ox another who is similar to Jones when we are going forward he has something to offer but can't seem to get on the ball and dictate or slow the game down when teams come at us. He is also a poor reader of the game and considering his role is often to fill in for Henderson and cover for TAA when he goes forward that is not good! As for Kieta, its the same hope we have every year and he never lives up to it.

Keita is the biggest frustration. There is a serious player in there he just never seems to put a run of games together without picking up some injury or knock. I don't think Jones will become a regular long term unless he improves drastically on the defensive side of his game. Tidy when on the ball but hides when we don't have it. Also agree on Henderson. He doesn't seem to cover ground like he used to and it has become even more problematic with Trent playing more advanced and infield role this season. Henderson just doesn't seem to have the legs to cover him each time. Given his age we should be looking at a replacement for him in the long term. Atm I think we need 1 midfielder but that changes if the club decides to cut Keita or Thiago loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The Jota penalty might come to back to bite us in the arse.

Not sure why there has been so much fuss about this particular incident.

There have been a lot worse decisions made this year.

Ya and I think Henderson is going to be one of the hardest replace to be honest. When he was in his prime he could cover box to box at relative ease, he's a very aggressive and good tackler/presser of the ball/man and he is well able to spread a pass or put in a decent cross when required. He really was the perfect Klopp midfielder! Keita could be a few of those things but I do genuinely think he's just not able to cope with the intensity Klopp demands from that position and he is also not nearly aggressive enough when required. Agree, I don't think Jones is good enough to start week in week out in the long term and I think Klopp knows this too, there was probably a reason Klopp publicly asked him to step up and prove himself over the next few months. I know he phrased it in a nicer way but I'd be fairly sure that is the real message to him...

Forget Bellingham lads, they will not sell him the same window as Haaland goes. Also he's only 18, give him another couple years to develop at Dortmund, he will ultimately go for stupid money though.

Tielemans would be a perfect signing though.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify I don't think we will sign him either for those exact reason. I was just making the point that midfield needs to be addressed this summer. Tillemans would be a serious signing in my opinion. Maybe strike a deal with Naby going the other way. 😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Because it us. Happened to anybody else nobody would bat an eyelid. As you say there's been so much worse decisions made this season and against us in particular yet none of those refs were stood down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd not be shocked if Thiago moved on this summer. Out of him Keita and Ox (the injury prone midfielders), I'd say he'd be the most likely to get an offer of 20m or so from Spain. Back to Barca and he'll be seen as a 'cheaper' alternative if they sold De Jong for big money.

I like Tieleman's but he's 24 and he's been playing constantly for 8 years already, he's had over 400 professional games. That's a lot of miles on a young player, will he be someone that just keeps going, maybe, but I'd say a lot clubs might stay away from him. The ever green James Milner for example, another player who broke into professional football at a similar young age had about half that number of appearances by the time he was 24.

I can see Tilemans happening for just straight up £40/50m.

I could see Bellingham happening with Naby Lad going the other way back to Germany where its not as phyiscal and he has proven he can tear up that league.

Sign Bellingham for lets say £80m and then sell them Naby Lad for £30m. They could also thrown in Gordon on loan for the season as I think he will go out on loan next season.

If Karius is the player dropped from the Premier League squad to make way for Diaz who gets dropped from the Champions League squad so Diaz can be added as Karius isn't named in that squad.

Adrian I'm guessing.

It would be hard on Minamino or Origi to be dropped and I'd rather have them in the squad than Adrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If we can't do Raphina then maybe go for Saka or Martenilli (or however you spell it).

Someone to cover RB would be good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

While I'd like a midfield overhaul I just dont see it happening.

Just cant see Klopp letting ox and Naby go. Especially if Milner is leaving. I think they should be moved on to create the wages space but it's just not in klopps nature.

It's frustrating but that's the rough with his smooth. As a result i don't think we'll get two big buys in.

The club have it easy here with Klopp. He'd never ask them to do this.

I also think Bellingham is too expensive. The players we sign mostly have financial space to grow. They're into mid market prices with space to regrow. This is where the club step away rather than Klopp.

Like i said, I'd do it different but I'm not capable of running a successful football club in the premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The thing with Bellingham is you pay €80m and you have him for 15 years. The 80m over that time frame is not a lot. €5.3m per year over 15 years.

Sign someone like Tielmans for £50m and he's here for 9 years (assume both play to 33) then your fee is £5.5m per year.

Bellingham is someone who can be involved in our midfield for a long long time so I wouldn't get to hung up on the initial asking price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Homegrownand younger,with a far greater resale value either way, it would be an easy decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah possibly. They've just never done that before. They're willing to take fulham to compensation review over two players they deem brilliant over a couple of million euro.

They've bought 3 players at their peak price. Allison, VVD and fabinho. They were senior pros guaranteed starters. Several years evidence of ability and data.

Id love if Bellingham was bought and turned out to be fantastic but the club will say fans would have paid top dollar for Dele Alli a few years ago. They've no interest in buying most players at top prices.

Anyway as I said the main obstacle is klopp. The club will find great players at the right price as they've done for 6 years now. Klopp just has to want them.

I think we'll get one starting midfielder in the summer.

Diaz playing against Argentina tonight the game kicks off at 11:30pm

Why wouldn't we want a player with an excellent fitness record? Seems like a strange issue to have with signing him.

Henderson - 32 - A warhorse, our captain, getting on a bit though. He'll be there till the end

Thiago - 31 - We know his quality but hes injury prone, could see him move on in the summer.

Fabinho - 28 - Our best, most reliable midfielder, best DM around. Real drop in performances when he doesn't play.

Jones - 21 - Good on the ball but if hes to have any future under Klopp he needs to improve off the ball.

Ox - 29 - Love the guy but he has no luck with injuries - will see out contract to 2023 I reckon.

Keita - 27 - Plenty of quality but a crock - will see out contract to 2023

Elliot - 19 - Unreal talent, could be playing for us for the next 10 years.

Milner - 36 - Time has finally caught up with Milner, No longer good enough to start for us in any capacity, release.

That is the state of play of the midfield, Fabinho and Elliot aside it's pretty drastic. I would like to see 2 midfielders as top priority in the summer. Tielemans and another combative midfielder around 23-25 years old. With the signing of Diaz and Carvalho possibly in the summer, we should focus on the midfield any funds.

It's not his injury record (it's excellent) it's how many seasons can he keep going playing 40-50 games before his body starts to fail and bodies do fail at some point. Could he play another 10 years and have no issues at all, yes but he's played the same amount of games you'd usually expect a player 4 or 5 years older than him. It's just something that I'd think teams might look at.

• Advertisement

Liverpool were linked with a move for Kalvin Philips in October/November. There was some agent talk about an agreement that he can leave Leeds for £35M in the summer. West Ham had an offer for him refused last week, Leeds didn't want him to leave before the end of the season.

Yves Bissouma is supposedly available for around £37M, he's a player the club has shown definite interest in previously.

The club got burned when signing Naby Keita for £54M. He has his moments where he looks the part but he has failed to deliver consistency. Ideally the likes of Tielemans who never seems to be injured would replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Would Bellingham actually count as HG? He'll have spent a few years in Germany.

He joined Birmingham when he was 8 years old and left for Dortmund in 2020 when he was 17. The rule is that he has to have been registered with a club for 3 years before he was 21 so he is a homegrown player in England and could become one in Germany also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, think he would still count - the rule is just having spent 3 years at an English club prior to your 21st birthday, and he was at Birmingham for a decade before he moved to Dortmund.

<oops, already answered - hadn't refreshed page!>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement
Advertisement