Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

With De Allende leaving a move to Munster could've been a good move for him. I'm not sure on Postlewaite's best position but who do they have lined up at 12 next year - scannell and goggin? That's pretty thin.

Or this could be fairly worthless and the coaches just rate him that highly anyway. I'd be happier with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good point awec.

Good sign though if he was interesting other parties and Ulster thought he was worth a 4 year contract to ward of other suitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

Won't be long until the first choice 15 won't have anyone in there thirties in it. Feeling old!

There's a good chance Aaron Sexton may get a start this weekend if Gilroy is banned.

The next question is who moves to the bench?! Only one I can think of is Conor Rankin. Anyone else in the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

So, missing:

Warwick

Herring

Roberts

Moore

O'Toole

Henderson

Treadwell

Izuchukwu

Rea Sr

Murphy

Timoney

Cooney

McCloskey

Marshall

Hume

Moore S (?)

Stockdale

Baloucoune

Gilroy (more than likely)

Addison

Lowry

Yikes.

• Advertisement

Uafc saying Moore available again. Moxham to wing? Sexton on bench.

Ah forgot about Moore.

Sounds about right then.

As said earlier we MIGHT get Hume or Lowry back as well for this one. Can't see either being in the Ireland 23 and they can't both be 24th/25th man.

By the same reasoning Herring and Timoney could be about, although I think they'll keep them both.

KingoftheHill saying on UAFC that Azzur Allison got the chop before Xmas, shame was always hoping he'd finally push on.

Leaves current U20 captain Crothers & Sheridan are only back row prospects currently in academy. Haven't seen Crother's, but been impressed with Sheridan.

Potential U20 backrowers to keep eye on James McNabney.

He's been fairly critical of our academy selection as well - Carson got selected ahead of Postlethwaite, Rankin and Sexton ahead of McIlroy and Moxham leapfrogging players brought in ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Advertisement

Disappointing but not surprising about Allison.

Listening to the Tele Ulster podcast, the two forwards mentioned are second row John Glasgow and James McNabney. Both getting very good reports from AIL league. McNabney has looked like a serious operator for the Ulster U19s when I've seen the videos; apparently Glasgow is an aggressive, physical ball-carrier that has been improving all season and is highly regarded.

I became a big fan of Sheridan during the last U20s - not the biggest lock but as the competition went on he became more noticeable and dominated opposition that was bigger than him. Think he was a blindside that was playing there because of injuries?

Apparently Murphy, Rea Sr and Izzy are actually potentially available for selection? Although it's backs where we're stretched.

I know nothing of John Glasgow, so looking forward to seeing him if he plays in the 6Ns.

I've only seen video highlights of McNabney but he looks big and athletic, I think he's a year young for the U20s as well.

Crothers must have something about him as this is his second year with the Irish 20s and he is captain.

And clearly Postlewaite is highly rated given he has just been given a 4 year contract.

So there are three or four players who sound like they could be ones to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Ireland U20s (v Wales):

2. James McCormick (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)

3. Scott Wilson (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster)

6. James McNabney (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)

7. Reuben Crothers (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)(Captain).

Replacements:

16. Josh Hanlon (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)

5 forwards in the team to play Wales, don’t know anything about Wilsono or Hanlon. Though KOTH from UAFC said he thought Wilson was one to watch!

McNabney looked good in highlights and is a year early to U20s? surely says a lot?

Well, we're about to get a look at them anyway. Any you particularly like?

I can be a stickler for size so I don't rate Crothers as high as others, but he's been made captain which has to count for something. Postlethwaite was the only one I really liked coming into the season - soft hands, physical and a fairly big lad, just not sure what his best position is.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

McCormick

Postlewaite

McNabney

plus a few not selected for whatever reason. Coaches know best.

Sounds like we might have a few more options than we were expecting for tomorrow.

Interesting team announcement ahead

Ulster team to play Connacht Rugby, United Rugby Championship Round 8, Friday 4 February at Kingspan Stadium, 8.15pm kick-off, live on BBC NI, TG4 & Premier Sports: 

(15-9) Mike Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, Angus Curtis, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, Nathan Doak;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Gareth Milasinovich, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Sam Carter, Greg Jones, Marcus Rea, Duane Vermeulen. 

Replacements: Declan Moore, Callum Reid, Ross Kane, Mick Kearney, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Ben Moxham, Rob Lyttle.

Disappointed for Baloucoune (and the others in fairness), but very happy to see him lining out for us. Good team overall. Interesting to see Curtis at 13, and presumably Lowry is covering ten

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Gilroy 4 weeks ban. 6 weeks with 33% mitigation

• Advertisement

Can't really argue with that.

Other than to wonder why Zebo wasn't banned at all for his hit on Lowry?

Not related incidents other than Ulster were involved in both and somehow managed to come out on the wrong side of the citing commissioners on both occasions. Not that Zebo being banned or not would have had any effect on Ulster.

Entertaining game!

Good to see Milasinovich get more game time.

Fair play to Declan Moore, looks likes a lump. Line out needs a little work just!

Moore is a good player for a depth signing, he looked up for it.

Lowry was sensational but him and McIlroy got caught a couple of times trying to do too much.

Neither side could secure their own ball at ruck time, lost track of the amount of turnovers, conor oliver was doing my head in.

Was underwhelmed by his signing. Considering how he got here to basically being parachuted into a full 80 mins! If he can sort his throwing, he mighten be a bad find! Definitely added some physicality and looks like a lump. I’d be worried if I was Andrew!

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Moore was very busy I thought, went at it full throttle for 80 minutes and was always willing to take the ball or clear someone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Good win by Ulster. Might be an important point come end of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Oliver was the pick of the forwards but others did well too. Baloucoune looks imperious when at full speed but drifted out of the game a bit....or maybe it was one of those games which existed mainly on the other wing. It happens. I have always thought that the natural flow of a game is right to left as most players are right-handed and therefore the natural and more accurate and aggressive passes are right to left. Do left wings get more possession and score more tries than right wings?

I wasn't expecting Moore to be any good given the comments and observations from Munster supporters. I thought he did really well. He played the full 80 and at full throttle. If he keeps that up and gets up to speed in the line out codes etc we have got a bit of a bargain.

Indeed if he maintains that want to work, he could do very well! Adds a built of bulk to our forwards also!

I don't know what's going on with Andrew or Stewart, but watching McCormick for the U20s there, there won't be many average players blocking his way for long.

• Advertisement

Always nice to get a bonus point winner another province.

We probably left a couple of tries out there as well.

Not sure why they kept McIlroy on, he was visibly struggling from about the 15 minute mark and spurned a couple of tries.

Moore was busy, the lineout was shaky enough early on, bit seemed to improve as the match went, he got turned over quite a bit breaking off the back of the maul as well, a bit of patience was maybe required, but that can be fixed, overall he was fine.

Doak, Lowry and Baloucoune all starred obviously, and Curtis again had a decent game, he's a pretty steady character in the midfield.

Top of the league so mustn't grumble!

Advertisement