Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David McWilliams Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I generally enjoy the podcast but I find the ones like today a bit wishy-washy to listen to, much prefer when they discuss actual current events more. Hearing about the ancient Egyptians etc is interesting to some I'm sure but it's not like there isn't a huge lot going on at the moment.

For example, I see on twitter a while ago that McWilliams hosted some kind of think tank on the Dublin-Belfast eastern corridor with politicians.
    It would be interesting to hear about that, what was discussed, agreed and perspectives from all sides as to what the next 2-30 years will hold for that area. He had previously said about moving Dublin port up the coast towards Dundalk for example, was anything of that magnitude discussed...it would be interesting to hear what the policy makers are thinking after having the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Obrieski wrote: »
    I generally enjoy the podcast but I find the ones like today a bit wishy-washy to listen to, much prefer when they discuss actual current events more. Hearing about the ancient Egyptians etc is interesting to some I'm sure but it's not like there isn't a huge lot going on at the moment.

I've often thought someone should do a study on the business secrets of the pharaohs. Alot to be learned no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Very interesting contribution from Tom Friedman this evening on the situation in Israel. Worth a listen.....very balanced, and for the record, I’m no supporter of Israel.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 delldelivery

garbanzo wrote: »
    ...Tom Friedman.... ....Israel.... ....very balanced.....

Thanks, I needed a good chuckle this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

garbanzo wrote: »
    Very interesting contribution from Tom Friedman this evening on the situation in Israel. Worth a listen.....very balanced, and for the record, I’m no supporter of Israel.

Was this Ep 137?

It doesn't seem to be on iTunes. 136, 138, and 139 are there but no 137.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Was this Ep 137?

It doesn't seem to be on iTunes. 136, 138, and 139 are there but no 137.

Yeah they mentioned on today's pod that it was removed by Apple.
    Still available on other platforms and worth a listen imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Mcwilliams has this warped view that anyone who isn't a civil servant is a budding entepreneur or would be creative sort. He's also far too optimistic about modernity for my liking, for example his most recent use of the tinder of ideas analogy

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

His obsession with "creatives" is because he's championing his children as hard as he can in that direction.

My new realisation is that DMW is basically work-shy. He's just another talking head for rent (look at his roster of advertisers). He sounds just like all those US money managers who, once they acquire a couple of million, start quoting the greeks in order to intellectualise their day job. It's a shame as once upon a time he had an opportunity to...

Ha, one month later and I'm still the most recent comment here...

You're all not missing much on the podcast. Recent episodes are full of ads from financial institutions, now including infomercial-style placements where DMW himself is the voice artiste. I suppose that's his inner-creator coming to the fore again ;-)

Dave is playing around with climate-change-crisis and/or Bitcoin-bashing for the upcoming themes but doesn't sound convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I used to listen to this fairly regularly but got tired of David’s schtick of asking his sidekick opened ended questions that he will answer himself.

He can be good at times though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Exactly.. what is the actual point of the sidekick? He doesn't really add much to the conversation, and seems happy to function to make David seem an expert in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

I enjoy dropping in an out of this. I will always listen when I see there Is a guest speaker, as you are usually getting someone with an in depth knowledge of a certain topic.

without fail I always fast forward to the 5th minute. As first 5 are usually adds, followed by some oul shite between the two boys that I don’t care about.

As a free service, I think it’s a great listen now and then.

I didn't know this thread was here. I would have been a weekly listener 2 years ago, thought much as the comments here, some good episodes and some boring, the stooge could be v annoying at times. But I've also switched off over the last 3 or 4 months as it just got too repetitive. A shame, some of his guests were well worth listening to.

Keeping a podcast fresh must be very difficult though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I hadn't listened in ages and enjoying catching up.

I don't mind the side-kick. He's the sound engineer but his presence on the show is something to do with making economics appeal to your average joe and creating a "chatting with the lads in the pub" vibe. He can't really challenge McWilliams on anything, but it's better than just having McWilliams speaking into a mic on his own IMO.

Seems like a decent fella. His voice sounds a bit like Baz Ashmawy , that's his main problem 😝

Thought the latest episode (197) was a lot more interesting, a good summary of current voting on the island.

I'm sure it's bad form to quote myself but can't resist. Dave "The Creative" latest ad voiceover: "IG invented spread betting, they allow you to do spread betting on CFDs". UK regulators view spread betting as gambling. (Absolutely no point in checking if Ireland's "Regulators" pretend to have a perspective.)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

That latest episode is hard going, the 2 lads blathering on about DIY, followed by a lad from a Dublin startup incubator basically doing a promo....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was thinking about this myself and I think his function is twofold:

1. He's a sound engineer so I'm sure he takes care of all of the technical side of things - the editing, getting the audio on the interviews correct all that stuff.
    2. On the actual podcasts he plays the role of the economically ignorant but curious sidekick. This allows him to act as a stand-in for the audience so that he can ask the kinds of questions that allow McWilliams to launch into his lengthy answers which are the meat of the podcast when they're not doing interviews.

I could do without the whole "god remember those days Redzer?" waffle but i see it as a price to pay for the good stuff.

Howiye head

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm just one of the lads, this is great banter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Did I miss something obvious, or did he me make a mistake with his calculations on the free public transport one today?

He said the revenue received by all public transport for one year is EUR 660m.

So if transport is made free, he says just issue a bond to make up for that EUR 660m, with coupons of almost 1% to be paid. So his whole argument was it would only cost us EUR 6.6m a year to cover it (ignoring the principle, which he touched on about rolling it over).

But that only covers 1 year's revenue/loss of revenue. They are missing out on EUR 660m every year going forward, so surely youd have to issue a new EUR 660m bond every year?

So the cost would be EUR 6.6m this year, EUR 13.2 next year, EUR 19.8m the following year etc, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

He made a clarification on this mornings podcast that he got the sums wrong, listen to the last 2-3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

His opinions on using "free" debt to pay for all this stinks of the Eddie Hobbs era and piling more and more debt on our kids

He mentioned a ONE YEAR bond today which shows that he maybe doesnt understand interest rate risk and even worse the link between inflation and interest

And I know he does cause he has shown he does in some circumstances. It just proves that he understands them when it suits the hair brain idea he is on about today. Mad that this fella is seen as a "bright" economist

Thought the episode about Russia was great. Interesting angle from the Russian side of a Irish guy living there. McWilliams has a great network in fairness to him.

David and the sidekick today tying themselves in absolute knots trying to explain to us how to think about the news that in the EU, Ireland now has the highest % of people who were born abroad. They completely lost the run of themselves - seems you can't be sceptical of the globalist agenda if you like foreign holidays or food, lol!! Just time at the end for an ad for a spread-betting company and then they're done.

I can't help but think of Alex Jones whenever I hear the term globalist. It's his favourite bogey man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Looks like episode 210. Probably hasn't aged well at all!

I recall the Russian media wasn't saying much about war at all it was the west constantly bringing it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

to be fair, nato has been encroaching towards the Russian border over the years, the wests interventions in russia post soviet collapse has also been a disaster for russia, liberalisation of their markets has failed, as its largely failed all over the world.....

Advertisement