Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh I agree 100%.

but just reading comments over past year and some of stuff they predict because a kid ain’t working out at one club does not mean it’s game over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Connolly needs to adjust his attitude first and foremost. He is actively sabotaging his own career. Obafemi is similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's probably too early to be writing Connolly off, but the signs aren't looking good. The Championship is a league where successful strikers tend to be tall, powerful, and aggressive. Connolly doesn't tick any of those boxes, and I am not convinced his natural ability as a striker is so good that he can compensate for these shortcomings.

What worries me most from these recent performances is just how he's struggled to compete against opposition defenders. I had hoped that stepping down a level would mean he'd be able to find a bit more space and time on the ball and have more of an impact, but that hasn't materialized. Maybe he's not up to the speed of things, maybe it's his confidence, but it's very concerning that his game hasn't picked up after dropping down. The worry is that if this loan doesn't go well, what happens with him next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Depending on whether they've got any extension clauses in his contract Brighton might try flog him and make some money off him at least. He'll be 23 next season and possibly going into the final year of his contract come summer 2023 where he could walk for free and they'd be entitled to nothing as he'll be 24.

I'm not convinced on Connolly at all, but I do find the criticism of Parrott over the top. I've watched more of Parrott than most, and I have to say he's shown a marked improvement over where he was this time last year. MK Dons are a proper footballing team and he doesn't look one bit out of place there. The goals may have dried up, but his performances have been good anytime I've watched. I read his manager came out the other day and singled him out for some kudos. Probably wants to acknowledge that he has been playing well, even if his finishing at times has been poor so to give him a bit of a boost. The thing about Parrott is that his work rate and professionalism has been outstanding, I am definitely backing him as one who can improve further from this spell at MK Dons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hopefully Connolly finds his niche. I dont think he'll be in league 1 on the next few years. Based on his PL experience other championship clubs will take him on.

Parrott is coming along to be fair. Going about it out of the limelight and really making solid progression playing every week. Attitude looks to have take a shift in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Kilkenny being linked with a loan move to Blackpool. Would be a good move for him, hopefully it happens. Surprised that Parker didn't give him more game time as he has looked impressive in the highlights I have seen of him.

Interesting move if true, and would be the totality opposite to what he's used to at Bournemouth if it comes about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Jimmy Dunne flying it at QPR after a slow start earlier in the season. I'm sure Kenny will be taking a closer look soon.

Blackpool often play would a double pivot in midfield, so I could see Kilkenny slotting in quite nicely in their system. Will be interesting to see if Bournemouth let him go. Personally, I think I'd prefer him to stay, he's impressed me and I think he'll get more chances there.

• Advertisement

Another for Hogan, terrible Derby defending. Ebosele came on early for Derby and has looked really lively on right wing. Knight as struggled on the other flank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Jamie McGrath’s likely destination seems to be Hibs.

his numbers have tailed off this season and I can’t say I’ve being impressed with him for Ireland but that’s a personal opinion.

Jack Taylor missed yesterday's game and Ferguson has said he's pulled his hamstring again.

Also Will Keane limped off in yesterday's game after taking a shot and going down going holding his hamstring.

Mark Mcguinness with another solid outing in the middle of a back 3 for cardiff. Really exciting ball playing defender.

Graeme bailey who is usually reliable saying Hendrick is close to agreeing a move to Middlesbrough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Poor Jeff. Newcastle is actually a decent town to live in Burnley and Middlsboro are grim AF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

I have to say I have always felt Connolly is not a striker but rather his best position would be as a winger.

Article says a small five figure sum so you'd assume it's probably 50k at most maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Turned on the Derby game today by chance and seen Festy. He looks like a player alright. Seems very like Adama in pace and strength but seems to have some end product. Hopefully he kicks on as a winger is needed

Ciaran Clark now being linked with a move to them as well, presumably Newcastle will need to make space once Dan Burn is confirmed as coming in.

• Advertisement

Scott Hogan is an interesting one. 10 goals in the championship so far. No other Irish player getting close to him in the top two divisions which is a bit depressing really. That will surely merit a place on the bench at least. We'd love to have a player like Daryl Murphy who scored 27 in 2014/2015.

Yeah if Collins is making upcoming squads then I'd probably rather see Hogan ahead of him.

Wouldn't have either player near the starting XI but if it gets to the "time to throw the kitchen sink at them" stage of the game I'd rather see Hogan in the box than Collins to pounce on any loose balls that might fall.

Collins might be better in the air but we've got Duffy for that plus Keane offers more around the pitch and is good in the air too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jury is still out on Idah (only recently got a goal for Norwich despite a terrible first touch he still got the goal) - Norwich getting relegated might actually suit his chances of boosting his confidence and giving him much more gametime. At the moment IMO he seems to play the way a learner driver drives - reacts a second or two too late no anticipation or urgency.

I know the lads mentioned are all still young/youngish. But Connolly seems to be finding his level. Obafemi the same. They are just not that good of footballers.

Connolly seems to at least try and has energy - but you could not really call him a goalscorer. Obafemi is a bit of headless chicken let's be honest - relies on his pace rather than his football brain.

Parrott was hyped up to the last, because Irish fans were desperate for the next young thing to break through. Has not materialised.

There seems to be an assumption among fans that because a player is given a chance young they will become great players. That is not how it works. The likes of Robbie Keane and Duff are very rare. Particularly for Irish football.

Ogbene had zero hype - unlike Parrott, Idah, Obafemi. Yet he is one of the few new Irish attackers who have stood up and made people take notice. But Ogbene is 24 and playing for Rotterham in League ONE - albeit they are looking good for promotion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Wouldn't disagree with most of that but I wouldn't be overly worried about a strikers play that much if he was scoring some goals. At present our starting strikers don't fill you will confidence in front of goal. Hogan seems to be at least getting into positions to score goals.

If you had to have one rather pick the one whose showing a bit of form but really wouldn't be picking any of them for squads. Don't think either offer enough around the pitch and when it comes time to throw the kitchen sink we've a fine sink in Duffy that's been very effective at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ali Reghba has joined Algerian side Chabab Riadhi Belouzid for an undisclosed fee from Leicester

Jeff Hendrick supposedly in talks with QPR about a move, and Ciaran Clark has turned down a move to Middlesbrough even though there's a good chance he won't be registered to play for Newcastle for the rest of the season.

Wigan are trying to sign Mark Sykes whose been playing well this season with Oxford, and he's out of contract in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I would have thought McGrath would be going to championship at least

• Advertisement

Not good enough it seems. Probably happy with a decent wage rise at Wigan.

Hendrick to QPR might be good for us if he plays games at that level. Depressing to think how few PL midfielders / players we have. Jonjo Kenny should be sounded out. The most worrying thing is being reliant on league 1 players. 3 midfielders horgan, mclean and ogbene part of the squad. Along with McGrath in the SPL its a huge worry if we're honest.Will keane a league 1 player up front. Troy Parrot League 1. Not prolific either. Our number 1 GK is playing in League 1 too.

I see Travers is joint top clean sheet holder in England currently. Himself and Buzanu will have a serious battle to be our number 1. Kelleher if hes not playing regularly will be no.3.

Unless Wigan go on a really bad run of form they'll be in the championship next season. Currently second and 2pts ahead of Sunderland and have four games in hand over the teams in the play offs.

Think it's a decent move for him because Wigan were a team that were in for him last summer and had a bid turned down. Could have went to Birmingham but they only became interested when they thought they could get him on the cheap. Knows he's going to a manager that has interest in him plus Richardson is someone who'll be moving onto bigger and better things in a couple of years so there's the possibility of moving with him if it happens. Also the money is better than whatever Hibs even offered.

Thomas O'Connor is following the money this week too. Jumps from League One with Burton to sign with Wrexham in the national league. Either he's getting paid well or a massive fan of Deadpool or Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

McGrath going to Wigan is a definite step up, which is all we can really ask for considering most of our players are going sideways or backwards.

Wigan also play good ball so it's another positive.

Good that Hendrick has moved somewhere he'll get more game time but might take him a bit to break into the starting XI. QPR are in good form with a winning team ATM. Stefan Johansen is their captain, and Tom Field has made that midfield position alongside him his own since coming back from injury.

Is that how poor the Scottish league is when a premier to league 1 is seen as a step up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Disappointing move for McGrath but better than moving to Hibs/Aberdeen in the long term. Was talk of Middlesbrough being interested which would have been a good move.

Glad to see Hendrick get a move and hopefully some regular game time.

Another League 1 player to bolster our squad. He wont be a straight starter either at that id assume.

Hardly shite when they have been playing some decent football and look like they won't be in the relegation battle. They also have an outside chance of european qualification.

Currently 3 points off your top 6 with a game in hand

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

pA lot of that has to do with Jim Goodwin though. St Mirren had their best league finish since 1989 last year and Jim's been credited with getting them there thanks to some astute dealings in the transfer market and playing some decent football. They would be punching above their weight despite having a wage budget that is well behind even Hearts and Hibs, never mind Celtic or Rangers. Goodwin himself said that realistic transfer targets for the club come from League 2/National League and released players lists. Given the League 2 budget they operate under, I'd say Goodwin has taken them about as far as they can realistically go. The same would hold true for McGrath. He's hit a glass ceiling at St Mirren, so it makes sense for him to go to Wigan where he can earn a multiple of his current wages and have a good chance of playing in the Championship next year.

When's the last time a Scottish club that isn't Celtic or Rangers actually made it past the qualifiers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Lower half Scottish premiership to top of League One is definitely a step up - financially as well as football wise I imagine. The Old Firm teams can still attract premiership quality players just about (e.g. Ramsey) but after that it's Championship quality at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Again seriously alarming that in our squad 7 players are currently plying their trade in League 1.

For the record also I wouldn't say that Collins has too much more to show from his game time for Ireland than Hogan.

Collins - 14 Caps 2 Goals.

Hogan - 8 Caps 0 Goals.

Neither or them are the answer to our problems but better options than Will Keane who has a grand total of 9 goals at Championship level at 29 years of age.

Is that the measure? Rather than a group of players who are that good that they are paid just to play football for a living?

Miles above my level anyway

The situation for Irish football hasn't been grimmer in my lifetime and I am a grandfather. We have so few players in the Premier League now, and even fewer of them who you would consider automatic starters. Hendrick and Connolly have both dropped down, and I can't see either coming back. Clark doesn't look like he'll make the 25 man squad, so you'd imagine his time his up. Long is in the final few months of his contract and won't be playing PL football again. Coleman is a regular starter for now, but will be winding down over the next year. Doherty and Duffy will likely get a reprieve for the rest of the season, but who knows after that. There's a few lads at Burnley/Norwich who look likely to be relegated.

It's the joys of watching the rest of the world move on while those in charge were over indulging themselves on the gravy train. Could you imagine if football was actually taken seriously in this country rather than seen as a past time and the successes of our golden era were actually used to grow the sport rather than bank accounts. We might actually have a footballing industry.

A couple of games in Europe is meaningless unless you're playing in the group stages. Had he stayed at Dundalk he would have actually played in the Europa League group stages but the move to St Mirren was a step up overall. Same way the move to Wigan is a step up from St Mirren.

Yes and 7 players in League 1 really adds to the gloom. It's just so under whelming at the moment. Especially with the young strikers we had hung our hat on aren't progressing at all really. Some might come half good but Connolly and Obafemi are a real worry. The younger Midfielders too are cause for concern and hopefully careers don't stall. To early to judge Connollys loan move to Borough but if it keeps going this way then serious questions will be asked of him in the summer. It's as bad as I remember it.

I remember back in the day checking on Aertel to see what Irish players had scored or assisted in the PL. Now I'm checking League 1 and the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

That is the reality of the FAI for decades out sourcing and not at all setting up any pathway to prepare our best young 12-17 years for a future as a professional footballer. Once the money poured into the league set up in England our players already technically behind by the time they left at 16 were pushed further and further down the ladder as much more prepared youngsters started arriving into premier league academies from all over. It took 20 odd years for the talent we did have to filter its way out and retire but now we are left with what we have reaped and that is not much and certainly the worst Irish squad from a talent standpoint since the 60's early 70's.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement