Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre Performers subjected to racist abuse in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Hopefully.

justask@bgetheatre.ie

There's the BGE theatre's email address. Sure fire them off an email and ask them to pass on your thoughts on the incident 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I like how everyone is convinced that it was the indigenous feral population who were at this when that area is one of the most wonderfully diverse parts of Dublin 😂

• It's a feral segment of the indigenous population in the area causing the problems. Only foreigners there are working in professional roles due to the crazy rental prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

One thing is certain.

When the talented young people from Lion King head out to the airport next week end at the end of their run we will be left with the racist scumbags or scumbag racists or whatever you want to call them.

Our problem, we need to own it and sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Who is we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I’ve no idea what you are talking about with the “usual tactic” comment. An attempt-to pigeon hole anyone who disagrees with you, maybe?

Anyway this post is just another example of attempting to defend the indefensible.

As an aside it must be said that this place is really a cesspit of hate, bigotry and racist vile and is been facilitated as such.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You said that posters on this thread were just writing this off as "lads being lads" and making very little of it. Can you quote any posts here to support this? Thanks.

I mean it's a usual tactic from people who purposely attempt to frame others as racist if they disagree with them.

And again, not once did I even hint that I was defending any racist behaviour. That again, is trying to attribute racism to me when I clearly have not said anything remotely racist or anything in support of, or defending, racist behaviour.

But having said that, it does explain why you think this place is full of hate, bigotry and racism.

It didn't take you long to barrel into the conversation and inject some strawmen of immigrants and travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Good post. This place certainly has become a cesspit as you say. Sad to see.

I’ve no idea what you are talking about with the “usual tactic” comment. An attempt-to pigeon hole anyone who disagrees with you, maybe?

Yes that’s the tactic. Confession through projection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This thread is a perfect example of why most balanced, intelligent, measured and informed posters on boards pretty much avoid the Current Affairs forum these days - as others opined (and I did earlier but someone here mustn’t have liked my post and to hear the truth) this place is just a cesspit of hatred and bigotry.

The abuse of these actors by those feral teens was racist, pure and simple. But keep looking at other reasons to justify your bigotry and minimise this clear case of racist abuse.

Are you reading the same thread as me? Can you quote any posts that show racism or bigotry. Not one poster here has justified the abuse at all. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Plenty of posts are trying to play down the racism part of the story. Boys will be boys, scumbags will be scumbags. Trying to pretend that it wasn't racism, is racist in itself. It is typical boards nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Maybe not justifying it but definitely trying to play it down.

This is aul attention seeking shite … someone got insulted by riff raff and it’s all racism now …look at Disney and an bored Gaia standing up for them… blah blah blah… it’s just cheap advertising for the show in the theater … in regards to Disney … renowned as one of the most historically racist companies in the planet … some neck on them to be pointing the racist finger now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Disgusting. We need to have a year of national service in the year after secondary school to instill some discipline in this underclass of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No one said it wasn't.

Racism is not the only issue here. It's the secondary issue for a lot of people. The primary issue is little thugs being able to run amok in the city center who would attack anyone for any reason at all.

That's the point posters are making. Not that it wasn't racist.

I definitely don't agree with that poster but I'm not sure if they're saying it wasn't racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭standardg60

I just don't get this attitude.

Why is randomly abusing someone because of their race any different or superior to abusing them because of their weight, height, religion, fashion, or just look?

The people who engage in this type of behaviour are just scum, they don't have the brain cells to have an understanding of what being racist actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Could you point out one post that’s even in the same ballpark as the drivel above? No one has said ‘that’s just the lads’. Unless there are special posts that only self hating Irish people can see that I don’t have access to. Every post I’ve seen has correctly called them feral scumbags.

Plenty eh?

Can you point out some examples then?

Scumbags will be scumbags is not playing down racism. In any way. People were merely pointing out that the kind of degenerates that engage in this type of behaviour, will pick on any aspect of any person for ridicule and insult in order to provoke a reaction and it is not unique or specifically targeting different ethnicities.

Scum like this have a history of targeting anyone they can and using the most offensive terms, regardless of who they might be.

According to you, this opinion makes me a racist too.

Then you have people coming on here bitching and moaning that this place is racist.

Frightening the amount of time some of you people spend on a site that you class as a hive of bigots and racists...

I totally agree with everything that you said in the opening post

Post 12 says: "Used to work in the area and there’s a high number of young scumbags who would enjoy picking on anyone they see as different, calling this a racist attack is ridiculous, they’d do the same to those they view as posh."

They say that it isn't a racist attack. They also have 7 likes to the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Maybe you should challenge their post if you don't agree with it and ask them to clarify?

Calling them scumbags is wrong. Totally wrong. They may well be scumbags but in this particular case they are racist. Taking the label racist & replacing it with scumbags is watering it down. I genuinely wonder why so many won't use racist. Why water down what they are & what they have done in this particular situation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's pretty disheartening but entirely predictable.

I was on another thread here before where someone insisted an attack on me and my other half was not homophobic despite the language used throughout....I was slashed in the face with a Stanley knife among other injuries. But they insisted it was just as likely to happen if I was ginger...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

A racist attack, to me, would be an attack on someone, or some group of people because of their race, colour or ethnicity. Would you agree with that?

I don’t think this was a racist attack because you could swap out the actors from the Lion King with blonde haired, blue eyed actors from any other musical and they would have gotten similar abuse from the scrotes in that area. Me and you could meet up now and walk through the area and no doubt they’d have abuse for us too.

No doubt racist language was used, but I don’t think it was racially motivated. That is the point people are making. Scum pick on peoples differences to get a reaction.

Scumbags who use racist language. Scumbags who use homophobic language. Scumbags who would insult the disabled. Scumbags who would insult someone on their appearance. Scumbags who would insult someone about how they talk. Scumbags who target anyone and everyone and use whatever the most offensive language they can.

Yes, they acted like racists to black people, in order to provoke a reaction. They are scumbags for doing so.

Not one person is saying that they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Basically, calling them "scumbags" is grand👍🏻

Calling them "racist scumbags" is a big no-no👎🏻

• Advertisement

This nonsense is exactly what I was talking about. You weren't there. You don't know the age of the racists. You don't know if they were business men & women out drunk. You have created a fairytale in your own mind. You don't know if they are the local gangs. The report says that a racist attack was reported to the Gardai but you know it wasn't racism. They are just scumbags.

These black people travel the world dozens & dozens if not hundreds of city's. You honestly don't think that they know a racist attack when they see it??

It is typical of boards threads that the racist aspect is whitewashed (pardon the pun). Ah sure we don't have that racism thing here in Ireland.

Advertisement