Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre Performers subjected to racist abuse in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The plenty of people you talk about are wrong.

Ireland isn't a racist country? I have an adopted brother & sister. Both around 60 years of age & both black. I also have 10 black nephews & nieces. Several are adopted too. I have watched how racist Ireland is all my life. My brother who does a tenth of the mileage I do gets stopped by Gardai ten times more often then me. My sister who does a lot of driving is off the charts in traffic stops. As a teenager myself & my friends noticed that we were allowed into a local pub without issue but every time my sister was with us we all got refused. My father made a complaint to management. He was told that his daughter was always welcome into the pub but anyone with her would always be refused.

I can fill pages & pages with personal examples if you want. It's easy for A white Irish person to say that Ireland isn't a racist country. What they mean is no one has been racist to them & their experience in life. How many black people do you spend time with to gather this knowledge that Irish aren't racist?

One more question if you don't mind. If Ireland is a racist country, then why do so many people come here from Africa to claim asylum? If their motives are economic, surely the daily racist abuse they receive here must be more painful than any economic benefits they receive?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

And I would accept that point however in my experience these guys hate everything that is different to them so would ascribe racism, homophobia et al. to them. Each incident is related to their hate of one demographic or the other. They don't walk down Gardiner Street shouting abuse at the locals for example.

You have never been to Africa then my friend? Visit & you will see why so many want a better life even if it involves racism

I have a mixed race daughter so I am well aware of incidents of racism.

I still wouldn't class the country as racist.

• Advertisement

I'll leave you with this:

When people refuse to call a racist act, a racist act, then yes it would appear that Ireland isn't all that racist. If we call all rapists scumbags then we can claim that we have no sex crimes.

A lot of posters need to have a long look at themselves & try find out why they refuse to call a racist act what it is?

You have your own personal experiences and I have mine. I trust my black friends opinions above your made up stories any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

They are not racist they just racially attack people and insult them using racist terminology.

There is no racism here. 🤣🤣

I can definitely agree that this was a racist act. My initial incorrect assumption was that this was just some attention-seeking social media post. The fact it was reported to the Gardai means it should be taken seriously and recognised as an act of racism. This does not make Ireland a racist country though, anymore than somebody drawing a swastika on a wall makes Ireland a nazi country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Advertisement

OK but what does that mean for Africa's future if the 'brightest and best' (dubious) come to Europe? Who will build and improve Africa in their place?

You have your own personal experiences and I have mine. I trust my black friends opinions above your made up stories any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think it's more a case of teenagers trying to get a rise out of people, even to the point where violence might be involved, which some will happily embrace anyway. They may or may not be racist on top of that but it is unquestionably a slur they're going to throw into a scenario like that. I agree with others that individuals like this often don't much care about who they are targeting, anyone is fair game. They also know that it's not the type of activity that will land them in some type of juvenile detention so even with liaison programmes they still have free rein to do more or less what they want. 

I recall reading once that it's really only about 50-60 kids who cause all the trouble in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm really surprised that it made news headlines. We live in a country of 5 million people. I suspect there's racist abuse of some kind every day of the week somewhere in the country yet it doesn't make the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

These toerags were in the vicinity not because they were waiting for some foreign theatre performers to emerge (are some really giving them that much credit?) - they were there doing what they do every night - acting the bollix and looking for a scrap. These unfortunate people ran in to them on their way home. Could have been anyone.

Racism gets clicks. If there was racist abuse every day of the week you can be sure the media would be covering it. It gets people riled up. It's like the old adage that "sex sells" but nowadays "emotional righteousness" sells.

Disney released a statement to the media. This how it has gotten so heavily reported. I'd be surprised if it hasn't hit world news because of this

I've lived abroad, where white people are a minority, and been on the receiving end of racist abuse. I've also received racist abuse in the UK for being Irish. And I've also experienced homophobic abuse in a variety of countries (both predominately white nations and non-white nations).

At the same time, I have been called a fag by people who didn't know I was bisexual, had no idea of any of my personal habits, and were simply throwing out an insult, based on what they consider to be awful. For example, I've always found motherf to be a ridiculous insult, but I've a friend who, for him, it's incredibly insulting, and will always set him off in the worst way.

I think the point being made is about the intent behind the insults being used. If I'm called a white fag, is that racist or homophobic? Or is white meant as a statement of fact, and the *beep* being the actual insult? However, if you consider racism to be important to you, you might look at being white as an indication of intent for a racist slur. It's doesn't work so well for "White" but Black *beep* is far more likely to be considered racist. no? Which insult is actually worse? The homophobic one or the racist one? And does that mean that the person was both homophobic and racist or simply racist?

People who seek to offend others will use whatever they can to insult others. It doesn't automatically make them actual racists, just that they've chosen to adopt racist language (as a communication tool). Someone calling me a fag might not be homophobic, because he/she considers that particular insult to be terrible to assign to a heterosexual male (and from experience I remember the paranoia of heterosexual teenagers over being considered gay, while not actually being homophobic in their interactions with gay people)

This is not downplaying racism or homophobia. It's about recognising the nuance involved in human behaviour. I realise that many people (not directed at you) want to live in a simplistic world with a black/white right/wrong perspective on things, but that doesn't really reflect the complexity of human behaviour. Is it wrong to behave that way, or wrong to insult others? Yes, definitely. But appreciating the nuance of what's really going on, provides the best opportunity to counter that behaviour in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It couldn't have been anyone, I have spent a lot of time around that area and often walk by groups of these grey tracksuit clad teenagers, they have never done anything or said anything to me. They picked on these people because they were different to them and gave them racist abuse, I would imagine if a same sex couple walked past holding hands they'd attack them too, as they are narrow minded bigots and that's what these people do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Sky News and The Times (UK) have it up on their websites.

Maybe one of our resident experts will get on to them to tell them it's all a big misunderstanding 🤷‍♂️

That's a pity.

Maybe some posters could call Sky News and explain how it's not a racist attack they are just scumbags. I think the answer would be not all scumbags are racist but all racists are scumbags

Whereas, I would imagine they would hurl abuse at anyone they considered to be vulnerable and less likely to be able to defend themselves. A woman on her own, regardless of her race, sexuality, etc, would probably be harassed by these idiots. Does that make them dedicated misogynists? No, it's the nature of little gangs of scumbags to behave in this manner towards anyone they consider a vulnerable target.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Almost akin to the level of racism, a lot you are very much aware of.

If you can’t post without insults no one with even an ounce of intelligence will take you seriously.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

So you're saying they're not racist because they are also homophobes and misogynists or what?

I'm saying that they would be abusive to anyone who was vulnerable, unlikely to pose a risk to them, and will use language that is intended to offend or cause fear in others. Whether that's for women, old people, other racial/ethnic groups etc. That's what scumbags or bullies do. They seek to intimidate and will use whatever they can to do it.

They could be actual racists with the belief structure, or they could simply be people who used racial insults because they thought it would be effective.

I'm not in favour of simplifying these situations where those two scenarios are assumed to be the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You came into this thread, and in several posts, you've outright lied about what was being said, and never backed up your claims when you were asked. No sane person would consider that intelligent or serious.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

E scooters and electric bikes allow these gangs of deprived misunderstood youth travel into areas they do not nest in.

I just think it's ridiculous that people are trying to come up with excuses for these people at all. Maybe it should be in the lonelyplanet guide for Ireland, if you are non caucasian and encounter racist abuse on the streets, don't worry it's not racism they would attack you regardless if you seemed vulnerable or different to them.

• Advertisement

I just think it's ridiculous that people are trying to come up with excuses for these people at all

How is anything I have said an excuse for their behaviour?

That's my issue with many of the posters on this thread.. as if seeking to clarify and differentiate the manner of the abuse somehow lessens that the abuse occurred. It doesn't.

Advertisement