Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

In the 80's, you paid extortionate tax generally got a bigger house on a bigger plot of land at a much lower price however the interest rate was massive.

The wind of change were very kind to this generation.

Imagine if you purchased a much smaller house at close to peak property prices on a much smaller parcel of land at a low variable rate, taxes are still high but with national debt where it is, they may get much higher

The wind of change may not be so kind over the next couple of decades.

We still need to learn that forcing our children into a precarious position is not a good policy for the country as a whole. One would have thought that 08 would have hammered this lesson home?

That includes children of all generations by the way, as in the 80s they were our biggest export

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Paul Sommerville was on the newspaper panel and had an interesting theory on the Ukraine crisis.

Biden under severe pressure in the US over the inflation rate has a convenient bogey man to blame in Russia, so its interesting that an issue that was bubbling under the surface for years has been escalated when inflation is also taking off mainly as a result of US FED actions (37 mins)

He also gives his outlook on inflation and reading between the lines he is seeing stagflation (last 5mins) - edit: quoting times because its difficult to get opinions when Brendan is interrupting with his bias

Post edited by Villa05 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Trump had the same playbook but with China. Create a big bad bogeyman abroad to try to stir up national pride. It's sad that the general public just swallow the narrative hook, line and sinker. Nothing will happen with Russia except posturing and the EU is too dependent on Russian gas to do anything, so it won't be possible to blame this conflict for sustained inflation. Quite simply, the magic money printers at the Fed, ECB going and full pelt the last few years then hitting overdrive in COVID times is now coming home to roost. There is now nothing to step in to the (capital S) State when QE disappears. It's inevitable that some sort of recession/correction will happen as QE is wound down, the question is when QE is wound down.ECB seems to think inflation will go down itself this year without alluding to slowing down and stopping its QE, not sure how the manage to do that but they are wedded to the idea that supply bottlenecks and energy prices are the main drivers of inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

This should only be amended for certain “safe professions” (nurse, gardai, teacher) with high job security and only up to 350k loans.

with house building costs at 250-350k there is limited risk of excess speculation.

• Advertisement

Property Industry Ireland (PII) claimed the current measures are outdated and need to be changed to reflect buyers' what a household can afford to spend, not what their income is.

How does that work when most people buying their own home are buying with a mortgage and not buying "what they can afford" without the loan?!

The Central Bank has already stated that it feels the LTV and LTI limits have worked as they were supposed to and housing costs would go even higher if they weren't in place. PII is just a lobby group who would just make more profits from higher prices, they have no interest other than seeing higher profits.

I think the argument is that people can afford to pay rent which is higher than what their mortgage repayment would be.

'what they can afford' refers to mortgage repayments and not buying without a loan.

Yes, I know. I just think it's a bit ironic to argue that people who can't afford to buy a house could afford to buy a house if they could borrow more. Considering we need to see housing costs significantly deflate, it would be terrible to ease these measures.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭hometruths

The design and calibration of the mortgage lending rules need to be amended, an organisation representing the property industry here has argued.

And in other news Christmas should be celebrated every Sunday, an organisation representing the turkey breeders industry here has argued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I dont often agree with you but there should be absolutely no tinkering with the lending rules a change to these will see prices go up even higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0201/1277223-mortgage-lending-rules-need-to-be-amended-ppi-says/

This 3.5× income is the best thing the CB has ever done. The situation regarding rising prices would be worse at the moment if it were not for this

I see some greedy pigs like the IIP are trying to destroy it so their greedy property developer friends can make more profit by mortgaging people up to hilt. But I think the CB will ignore them as they know exactly their real motives for changing the 3.5×income ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Jeez that ex-housing agency guy on Prime Time is a total bluffer, you'd think he'd have at least some basic input to the conversation and possible solutions instead of heaping what sounds to me like fake condescending praise on the guy who actually did all the hard work. Fair play to Dara for biting his tongue and not ripping him in half 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

Ffs who let that aul fool on primetime?

Patronising people about making better choices and talking about high house prices are due to insulation and our "sophisticated transport network". Different planet stuff. The most ridiculous rubbish Ive heard on primetime in years and that's saying something.

Maybe we should all live in a bin like oscar and be happy about it. Would make your blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,513 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

While two to three years ago I would unreservedly have agreed with you I am beginning to see issue with it now. There is something fundamentally incorrect about having a situation where a couple are paying 2k+/month in rent but a mortgage would be 2/3 of that.

Where it is really noticeable is on lower incomes which cannot access housing. Remember housing is still rising in price with it in place. As well people in certain sectors can access exemptions which allow them to go to 4.5 times income.

However as you say there is a large risk that it may increase house prices. However was it Ronan Lyons said that if house construction rates were to rise by 50% prices needed to rise by over 20% or construction costs to fall by 40%. If construction activities increase there is no way costs will go down.

At present I be reluctant to change the multipliers in case inflation causes interest rates to rise. However if I was a person renting a property I prefer to have a higher multipliers if it got me a house to buy.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

They might be able to afford the mortgage when the ECB has interest rates at 0%. But what happens if they got to 8%. A few years into the mortgage they could be in trouble. The CB has to protect borrows from that situation.

I know people say that is unlikely rates will go up that far but you never know especially with inflation at current levels. By law of Masstrict the ECB has to keep inflation under 2% and unwinding QE and raising rates is how they will do this.

Also they are going to be competing against other people who can only borrow 3.5× income. Are people stupid enough to think if they are allowed borrow a higher ratio then others won't.

Things are reopening fully in Ireland but it will take a while for things to calm down, particularly around immigration so there'll be a squeeze in the jobs market for a few months at least that may feed into higher costs for goods and services. It was reported yesterday in the FT that the markets are starting to bet on two ECB rate rises this year.

Markets have this week pulled forward expectations of tighter policy, with an increase in the central bank’s deposit rate to minus 0.25 per cent — from the current record low of minus 0.5 per cent — now priced in by December, implying traders expect at least two 0.1 percentage point rate rises. The shift comes just before members of the bank’s governing council are set to meet on Thursday to discuss monetary policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I remember starting working in 1995 and getting £2.50 an hour. I was able to pay for accommodation all the way to Easter from the money from the summer job.

In Easter 99, I got work on a building site labouring, £60 a day cash in hand or £300 a week. I was in university at the time and had no prior experience on sites.

Sounds like your employer weren't very generous.

The point being made about 3.5 times was that it meant builders didn't have confidence to build in quantity for consumers as they didn't think that the ability to buy would not be there.

The industry guy made the point that building is risky and expensive. A lot more expensive than in the past.

Some of the crap here about moving into an empty house in the 80s is ludicrous, if they didn't have furniture there were lots of charity and thrift shops in the eighties.

The issues are the building standards/ regulations, materials and cost of labour. I'm sure lots of young people would happily move into an unfurnished house. I slept on a mattress on a floor when I first moved out of home. People don't have the option to buy an unfurnished four wall house. I'm sure if they did they would.

Maybe it not a bad idea to tinker with 3.5 if it gives builders the confidence to build more quantity of the expensive houses or maybe the regulations should be eased so people can build starter houses without insulation.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

ban investors from buying for 3 years. Would it cause more pressure in the rental market?

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2022/0202/1277268-government-intervention-property-values-housing/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

once again, the main reason why we re in this situation is because we ve largely ignored the money supply towards housing, in particular, the credit supply, this is in fact why the 3.5 was put into place, if its increased, it would clearly cause further price inflation, i.e. increasing the 3.5 wont work, and would be simply idiotic. there needs to be strict agreements made between the state and private sector entities, in order to get the job done, one of the main conditions that needs to be included is, 'no excess profits', but if it is found that the private sector entities would be too exposed, state guarantees need to be put into place, so that private sector entities will make some profits, and/or wont go bust....

• Advertisement

I have said this for a long time that the government should guarantee that they will buy any new property that is not sold to the private sector to give developers/builders the confidence to build. Obviously there needs to be a price cap and it wouldn't apply to houses over a certain price and would be based on building costs allowing for a modest profit on each house.

Okay... If you think no excess profits is going to encourage more home building...

The way I see it.

• Build crappier houses with lower Ber ratings.
    • Change 3.5 times.
    • Government subsidises house building for individuals.

These could result in more supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

Maybe it not a bad idea to tinker with 3.5 if it gives builders the confidence to build more quantity of the expensive houses or maybe the regulations should be eased so people can build starter houses without insulation.

Colder houses that cost more to heat is not the answer to lower housing costs. Moreover, nZEB (nearly Zero Energy Buildings) standards are an integral part of Ireland achieving its CO2 targets and transitioning to a green economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The government has totally thrown house buyers and self builders under the bus though, if they were serious about encouraging new houses to save the environment they would have cut or removed VAT from new builds instead its just more and more taxation that results in more debt for home buyers.

Houses are expensive to heat partly due to carbon taxes imposed by the government, increasing house prices by building regs increases the tax take for the government, smart meters have already proved to be a lie with suppliers jacking up their rates, the government is actively increasing the cost of new electric cars instead of promoting them and are slashing BIK exemptions on electric cars - its clear to me the "green economy" is just a green washed $CHA$$CHING$ to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Would this be why the markets have baked in two rate rises from the ECB?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

that will never happen.

half the eurozone is technically bankrupt if rates rise. Soon sterling will be back to pre brexit vote levels vs the eur.

Stats like that in the context of the amount of time inflation is sticking around and also in the ECB's failure to predict it which is indicating the ECB hasn't much of a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

It indicates the unviability of a common currency for so many vastly different economies.

If the options are rampant monetary inflation or bankrupting several EU members, its clear that the policies that led us here in the first place were not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭wassie

Houses are expensive to heat partly due to carbon taxes imposed by the government,

So doesnt it make sense to reduce the running cost to heat a house in a cold climate? i.e. a higher capital cost to reduce the lifetime operational cost with additional benefits of more comfortable, healthier & safer homes for occupants. Substandard housing also tends to negtively impact those who can least afford it.

increasing house prices by building regs increases the tax take for the government

No doubt, but not to the extent you are suggesting. They Govt benefits in many ways along the property development & construction process. But building standards incrementally increase over time in line with societal expectations. Whats more, in line the Energy performance in Buildings Directive (EPBD) in, Ireland carries out a cost optimal analysis to define NZEB requirements.

The notion that Building regs are randomly introduced by a Govt motivated to increase its revenue is nonsense. Building Regs are generally extremely well considered before being brought into law. All of the Part L regs are also being driven by the EU, so we have little choice in the matter.

smart meters have already proved to be a lie with suppliers jacking up their rates

How are they proved? The reasons for rising electricity costs are fairly well established by now, but Im not aware of any evidence of smart meters having an effect of increasing the wholesale price of electricity. Smart meters will assist the network operator to actively managing & upgrading the network more efficiently by providing close to real time data. This actually helps drive costs down.

the government is actively increasing the cost of new electric cars instead of promoting them and are slashing BIK exemptions on electric cars - its clear to me the "green economy" is just a green washed $CHA$$CHING$ to the government.

I have a leased EV and fully aware of the BIK exemption. Yes the exemptions are being wound down, but this is simply normalizing as the national fleet transitions to electric (personally I think the Govt are doing this too early). You wont have any argument from me on VRT of new cars.

There is no doubt increased building regs over the years have contributed to an increase in construction costs, but again, so have our expectations as a society. But I think you are overplaying the role of Building Regs in adversely affecting housing affordability.

• Advertisement

I'm sure a lot of people are more interested in getting out from under their parents feet or away from extortionate rents than co2 targets. If the government wants a greener economy, let it pay the extra cost associated with the Ber ratings or else loosen the building regulations..

In 2009, the house we were renting had frost on the inside of our windows. I would rather have been there than in my parents a rated house. A lot of people need freedom/ independence more than a high BER rating.

Advertisement