Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoJo banished - Liz Truss down. Is Rishi next for the toaster? **threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

On mobile it only works after you have quoted another post. So, when you've the two quotes there you can delete the one you don't want. If you just want to comment you'll have the original quote, you can't delete it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It can honestly be very hit and miss, some times it works, other times not. I've just reverted to clicking home, scroll down, click drafts, cancel and start again, but yes your process can work. Obviously if post is posted with a quote attached, all that can be edited is the posters content and not quote added which has not been addressed and requires a mod request to delete, very frustrating.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What "abusive digs" did Starmer make which equates to what Johnson said? Starmer's comments centered around Johnson repeatedly misleading the public and Parliament about the parties that happened in Downing Street, making him unfit for the office he holds due to lying and the disrespect he showed the public with the sacrifices they all made that Johnson didn't.

Johnson's comment centered around the failed prosecution of a prolific sex offender that Starmer wasn't even involved in, and therefore trying to link Starmer to the crimes of Jimmy Saville.

The two do not equate, but I'm not surprised you find no issue with Johnson's comment given your own posting history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, conservatives are closing ranks to protect a dead child molester that they tried to use as a stick to beat the Labour leader with? I'm not surprised.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don't bother. He knows his post is a load of shte and he will just say anything at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Lets not forget Boris's own words that even investigating historic child abuse is a waste of money......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2019/mar/13/boris-johnson-says-investigating-historic-child-abuse-a-waste-of-money-video

Even if his claim about starmer was correct which it isn't, but even if it was then surely it just aligns with Boris's own views on these historic offences?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,492 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What do you mean, you had a good laugh at that, especially coming from me? Brexit has happened, and I do not expect it to be reversed - indeed, I do not believe that it can be reversed. I'm sure I have said this many times on this board. You seem to be imputing to me views which I do not hold and have certainly never expressed. Perhaps it is you rather than I that has missed their true career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Facts don't matter. Saville was just a convenient political tool Johnson thought he could use to his own advantage. He doesn't actually care about the circumstances surrounding Saville or the aftermath of Saville's legacy.

That the usual suspects on here are defending that - indeed one of those suspects has used Saville in another (now closed) discussion to try and score points on several occasions - is of no real surprise.

All the while shouting about "impartial" and being "on the fence", unlike the "rest of us here". Perhaps there is some separate Tory dictionary to the Cambridge, Oxford or Collins ones, that they use to define what they mean, which would explain a lot as to why Johnson & Co's definition of what counts as a party is very different from what the general population understands to be a party.

I have to say, all along I thought Johnson would ride the storm out but ANOTHER booze up has been uncovered.

I think his goose is cooked.

Yeah, saw that clip resurface yesterday. £60m on investigating and prosecuting child sex abuse is money being "spaffed up a wall". Boris' failed Garden Bridge project as London Mayor cost about £53m and nothing was ever built.

Not to mention that the decision not to prosecute Savile was due to lack of evidence (as the investigations were about assaults he commited 30+ years earlier), the majority of the victims didn't want to testify, Starmer wouldn't have been involved in the investigations or the decision to investigate or not as he was several levels above where those decisions are made, he later did order a report to determine why the prosecution didn't go ahead a few years later (after more evidence of Savile's crimes came out after his death), and Starmer did then publicly apologise on behalf of the CPS for the decision to not prosecute him.

Compare that to Boris being directly implicated in the parties at No.10, being currently under police investigation for same, misleading the public and Parliament about same, and refusing to commit to publishing reports/findings, while also offering apologies but refusing to be held accountable for his actions.

Everything Starmer said about Johnson is true. Johnson's accusation regarding Savile was not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Johnson is clearly not fit for office, why would the media not go after him?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

His clumsy and careless approach to running a country obviously suits them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just assume that conservatives are lying now. It's where we're at here. I'm not sure what exactly the fascination is with the right and child molesters is. I suspect the idea of a white man of the establishment being held accountable is anathema to them. It would make sense as if we were to suddenly to start holding the government accountable, none of the current batch of parasites would keep their jobs.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I had to laugh at the wit of Ken Clarke at the current No 10 position...

That's a parody account.

So I now see, thanks.

Still, I can only presume that the real Clarke would agree with the sentiment.

I think someone did make a Mad Hatter reference in Parliament yesterday in relation to Johnson's parties.

Edit: Sorry, it was last week, not yesterday

"The MP for Brighton Kemptown hammered: "Happy un-Birthday to him!

"Just like the Mad Hatter, he didn’t need the excuse of a birthday to have a party! But it did help didn't it!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From the £18.2m Millennium Bridge you can see where the Garden Bridge would have been just in case anyone was wondering how much it actually costs to build a pedestrian bridge on that part of the Thames.

Garden Bridge would not have had a public right of way either or be usable by cyclists just in case anyone was wondering where the money was going to go.

what is being created amounts to a privately managed tourist landmark rather than a bridge – using the definition of a public right of way across the river. Details of how the bridge will operate indicate limits on group sizes, suggesting a ticketing system may be required. The bridge will also be closed once a month for corporate events, and between midnight and 6am. Plans no longer includes provision for cyclists.

Add to the costs the £900K spent on a report into a fixed link to NI whose purpose wast to hide the garden bridge from google searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,863 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Himself and Lumley were literally going to build Joni Mitchell's "tree museum" and charge the people to see them.

I don't think the right - or, at any rate, most of them - are really fascinated with child molesters. They are just useful material for a dead cat strategy.

when the pressure is on you for something you cannot defend, you try to relieve the pressure by doing something very shocking, but irrelevant to the issues that you prefer not to address. The term "dead cat strategy", if not the strategy itself, was invented by the right-wing political strategist Lynton Crosby. Basically, if you don't like the way the negotiations are progressing, you disrupt them by slamming a dead cat onto the table. Thereafter, that's all anyone can talk about. ("Oh my God! Did you see what he did? That's disgusting!" etc, etc.) The negotiations are forgotten, and the bad outcome you were fearing is averted.

Using parliamentary privilege to accuse Keir Starmer of failure to prosecute Savile is a classic dead cat strategy, because the accusation is (a) very shocking, (b) offensive to Starmer, (c) disrespectful to Savile's victims, and (c) clearly unjustified. Therefore, Johnson is a shît for doing this. So all anyone can talk about is Johnson's shîttiness. So they stop talking about lockdown parties and police investigations and such.

But it hasn't really worked. The problem they are trying to divert attention from is also a variant on "Johnson is a shît", so making Johnson look shîtty doesn't really eclipse that problem. The machinations to avoid publication of the Gray report, the rumours of police corruption and cover-up, etc, are not the fundamental problem; the fundamental problem is the parties that make Johnson look decadent, callous, entitled and generally fairly ****. So they needed to find a dead cat that wasn't "Johnson is a shît".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So, the great British press, only dong their jobs, as you'd expect them to do, who were 'disgusted and appalled' by the Savile remarks made in the HoC, where they sought out comments from abuse victims, not for show or anything, just for the righteousness of it, have themselves done a u turn and decided to use Savile as a weapon as well. Well well, what a surprise.

Anyone who thinks that the British press gives a flying eff about child abuse victims, or anything at all except their own self interests, including their own political opinions and their personal desires, and would never ever seek to create outrage, has lost the plot.

In an earlier post I mentioned I was holding myself back on the British media because the topics were sensitive. But because some think I've lost the plot I've decided to abandon that and tell you this I heard in British media 2 days ago.

It's a story about how a man wrote to the media, who spoke of how when his son was in a mental institution, and due to covid restrictions he couldn't visit him. Sadly his son committed suicide. He says 'if only I could have visited him and held his hand', maybe, maybe, he wouldn't have committed suicide. His passing occurred on one of the know partygate dates.

And I am telling you now, if you think this kind of journalism is genuine, that's it's not a sick tactic by the media, then not only have you lost the plot but more likely you are complicit is these sick media driven outrage games, if only for validating them.

What I have seen in the last year in British media is second only to the News of the World downfall affair. And I think the current state is all rooted in intellectual 'elitism'. Journalism, Politics, University 'intellect's', people who really think there shouldn't be any democratic elections or refs at all, and those people get to decide what's what. Like this thread and the Brexit thread and the UK politics thread, there is this constant stench of stuck up intellectual snobbery. We know best.

Oh yeah, my posts are all here to see, and I'm happy for it. More than happy. The idea that some would think that noone would agree with my opinions just goes to show you the arrogance of some people who have no time for anyone else's opinion because all opposing opinions are inferior to theirs.

Whether one believes me or not, I have no vested interest in Brexit. Or the Tory's remaining in power for that mater. But I sure as hell know one thing and that is some people in Ireland do, not least that it might hurt their pockets personally. What else could explain such long standing vitriol towards the Brits for doing what they did. Follow the money, as they say.

In 2013, Keir Starmer was forced to apologise for how ineffectual the CPS was in prosecuting Savile.

As the Director of Public Prosecutions, Starmer had a responsibility to ensure that Savile allegations were looked into. Starmer is now doing a Boris Johnson; blaming other people for the failure even though he was the DPP at the time. That's why he apologised to begin with, because of precisely the responsibility he held at the time.

"Keir Starmer was forced to apologise for how ineffectual the CPS was in prosecuting Savile."

Interesting. Link to the apology, please, and then explain how it was "forced", and by whom.

"As the Director of Public Prosecutions, Starmer had a responsibility to ensure that Savile allegations were looked into. Starmer is now doing a Boris Johnson; blaming other people for the failure even though he was the DPP at the time. That's why he apologised to begin with, because of precisely the responsibility he held at the time."

Either you're making this stuff up, or someone else is making it up and you're very gullible. As DPP Starmer did not have a responsibility for making sure allegations against Savile were looked into; the DPP neither investigates nor directs investigations. Investigation is the responsibility of the police, over whom the DPP has - by design - no authority.

Sure, here's a reference to the apology Starmer made in 2013:

Yet, after a 2013 review into the handling of the case, Starmer apologised and said he took full responsibility for the failings. As head of the organisation, he had little choice.

Isn't that all that Boris said? That Starmer was responsible for the failings; the same failings that Starmer himself admitted full responsibility for.

And what were the failings for which Starmer apologised? Your own link makes the point that "there is no evidence Starmer knew of Savile’s crimes or that he was directly responsible for the decision by the Crown Prosecution Service not to press charges", so he was clearly apologising for something else.

Whatever it was - I do not know if you know what it was, or whether you will deign to tell us - it was not, as your link makes clear, his own failure to prosecute. And Johnson's accusation, despite what you claim, is not that Starmer was responsible, as head of the agency, for any failure to prosecute on the part of the agency but that Starmer had failed to prosecute.

So, no; Starmer's apology does not - on the evidence of your own link - vindicate Johnson's accusation.

PS: you don't seem to be defending your assertion that Starmer was forced to apologise. Do I take it that you're dropping it?

No. It's his standard dead cat strategy. Saville has no bearing on the current situation but as usual, it has backfired as we're reminded that Johnson thinks that elite white child molesters are above the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,705 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just because Tories have to be forced in to apologies doesn't mean that apologies are always forces.

So firstly, Boris brought the victims of Savile up and they most definitely wanted to say something about it. He was using it for political point scoring.

Secondly, yep I can totally get including the stories of the people who didn't pay and lost people during the pandemic. Rory Kinnear had a similar piece about his sister. It's insulting to them that the highest people in government didn't obey their regulations while others watched family members die from a distance.

I don't believe that newspapers do it out of human decency but I very much so believe the people who are telling their stories want them to be heard. And why shouldn't they be? Cause it makes you feel like Boris is a victim? Of an angry electorate?

It's hilarious that you claim to be on the fence btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This entire post is just one huge bad faith argument because you cant argue against boris's flagrant lies anymore.

What about this story https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-daughter-romy-covid-b1996973.html

Are you going to try claim boris and downing st didnt push this out as a distraction or to earn sympathy points? Or in your twisted world were boris and carrie somehow taken advantage of by the media by them running this story?

Advertisement