Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climote alternative

• 03-12-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭

Hey so my mum is looking to get a smart heating system however shes not a fan of the way my Nest scheduling system works based on temperature etc. She would like a digital version of what she already has ie the old clock thing with the time toggles on it and the only product i can find that seems to offer this kind of functionality is climote. However im really not a fan of their subscription and absolute lack of integrations besides alexa.

Does anyone know of a climote alternative with the same functionality and no subscription?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Not sure what devices might do that but if she really wants just on off programmes you could probably simulate on a Nest, Hive or similar by having really low temperature time slots to simulate OFF (e.g. 5-7 degrees, not 0 for frost protection) and high for ON (e.g. 25 degrees). Then use boost outside that for extra heat as needed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sonoff is subscription free, can control on temperature, time or both. Simple and cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh with the Nest, you can turn off the auto-scheduling etc and it will operate like a traditional timer. Personally I have Auto-Schedule turned off but I have Time-to-Temp, True Radiant and Sunblock turned on and then I set the heat to be the 19.5 degrees when I wake up. This way, the house is always the same temperature when I wake up. If it's a cold morning, the heat comes on a little earlier to compensate for the colder temperature. If it's warmer, then it comes on later (and doesn't unnecessarily heat the house)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm in similar boat. Currently have a Climote and looking to get a new device that can integrate with Homeassistant.

We already have system zoned with mechancial thermostats and have TRVs in each room, so not really interested in getting iTRVs. I'm essentially looking for a device that supports:

• Rudimentary buttons on device so that heating can be turned on in event of some issue with HA/internet etc
    • Two Zone (three zone would be a bonus)
    • Local APIs (Open to cloud products, but must have local API also)
    • Supports a boost/advance function
    • Enclosed in pattress box (no exposed wires or screw terminals)

Can someone suggest a device please? Thanks.

EDIT: I was looking at Drayton Wiser and it seems to do most of what I want, but it seems a bit overkill if I have no intention of getting iTRVs etc?

Post edited by Jonathan on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Coming back to this for anyone who finds this via google.

I achieved all of my requirements using a Shelly 2.5 in a pattress box with a pair of retractive switches for each zone. I've configured the Shelly so that a push of the switch will 'boost' that zone for a predetermined period. Holding the button down for a configurable long press period will turn off the zone immediately.

Most of the use is via HA, but the physical buttons means that we can still access heat in the event of an issue with connectivity.

Total cost was about €32. Shelly was about €26 and other bits were about €5-6 from an electrical wholesalers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

sorry can you please a pic or details of how you did this?

do you still have the climote panel on wall?

or do you have a regular (light) switch on wall which on press boosts heating?

i have climote too, so trying to understand how does it work

No, the Climote is removed entirely now.

There are just two retractive switches on the wall now, each corresponding to Heat and Water. They are only really used in an emergency though. The day-to-day control is via Homeassistant. The Shelly switches are configured in detached mode. Short press toggles the relay on with an auto off timer, long press turns it off.

Shelly wiring diagram below.

L:   Live
    N:   Neutral
    01:  Boiler Call for Heat (This corresponds to pin 3 on the Climote)
    02:  Boiler Call for Water (This corresponds to pin 4 on the Climote)
    SW1: Retractive Switch Heat
    SW2: Retractive Switch Water

Advertisement