Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Our midfield problems are easily solved considering we only play working types in there. Isco on a free would replace Milner for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Agree with most of that. For me:

Milner - great servant for the club and a great pro. He would be missed around the dressing room and whenever he has been called upon he always works extremely hard. That said I think it is more likely that he leaves at the end of the season or even hangs up his boots.

Henderson - he will see out his contract I think. He has not been as influential this season and looks leggy. Can see his game time being gradually reduced over the next 2 to 3 seasons. We don't have a like for like replacement at the club atm and need to be on the look out for a replacement over the next 2 to 3 windows.

Thiago - will depend on how much faith the club has in him avoiding injury and playing more. Has the talent to offer us something over the next 2 seasons but his injury record has been poor enough. He would also have some resale value. If he gets a good run of games with us before the end of the season then I think it would be worth keeping him around next season.

Fab - still a good age and still playing at a very high level. The hope is he will continue performing and be available as much over the next 3 seasons or more.

Jones - still lots to learn and I am not so sure he will improve the defensive side of his game. While tidy on the ball he is non existent without it and there have been signs Klopp may be losing faith in his progress. Needs to do lots more or he will never nail down a regular spot. Klopp likes functional midfielders and Jones really isn't. Poor man's Coutinho for me but is still young enough to improve and will need to soon.

Keita - a very good player but has an injury record Sturridge would be proud of. Don't have the stats to hand but we have a crazy high win record when he plays. His injury record though would tell me he is just not physically cut out for it, why any professional athlete would be that way though is beyond me. His record is almost unnatural. Like Thiago he needs a good run of games without injury for him to remain in our plans beyond this season.

Elliot - hopefully one for the long term. Bit early to be relying on him and counting him as a starter just yet. Looks to have loads of potential though.

Ox - would love to see how he fares if he can remain injury free for a while, there are signs his form could improve with more game time. That said it is hard to have any confidence in him staying injury free. In the same category as Thiago and Keita. I would find it easier to let him go than the other two but he is homegrown which complicates things a little.

Out of those 8 I can only see Fab, Hendo and Elliot being around in another two seasons. That would be 5 midfielders to replace in 4 windows and I think I am being optimistic. At the end of this season Milner is likely to be gone and I can see atleast one of Ox/Thiago/Keita being moved on. Jones will get one more season and we will be saying our prayers that whichever two are left of Ox/Thiago/Keita are never out injured again at the same time. Definitely need one new face in there this summer to get the ball rolling. It will be a busy few windows for the transfer committee and a big job to rebuild our midfield options going forward.

He is 30 in April, hasn’t been a regular starter for a couple of years, earns €250k per week, and would be a sub, replacing a sub. Personally I would go for someone younger, and better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

The problem we're likely to run into is that Henderson, Milner and Oxlade-Chamberlain are home grown players which we're running short on. If Nat Philips and Neco Williams leave on permanent deals in the summer that's two more gone and we'll need to be dipping into the under age squads more than we already are in order to make up the home grown quota requirements.

The 25 man squad for UEFA competitions require 8 home grown players, 4 of which need to have been with the club for 3 years between the age of 15 and 21. The domestic league has similar requirements and the quota of required home grown players is to be increased in coming years.

As it stands we have only 7 more home grown players in the senior squad.

Caomhin Kelleher (23), TAA (23), Joe Gomez (24), Rhys Williams (20), Curtis Jones (21), Tyler Morton (19), Harvey Elliot (18)

It's easy to see why the club has looked at the likes of Harvey Barnes (24) and Jarrod Bowen (25) in recent transfer windows. We need home grown players that are not necessarily world beaters but have enough quality and experience to drop into the team if required. Ward-Prowse (27) could be an option for midfield but he doesn't fit the age profile to be a potential Liverpool signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

But he's free, 4 time CL winner, loads of experience, purely to replace milner on the bench, he's only 29. Brozovic is another out of contract,though inter will try to tie him down to another.

I just think there is always a role for the Milners, and McCallister's , nothing wrong with a free transfer of a quality squad player.

30 in April, why pay those type of wages for a sub? I’d much rather see a younger player on lower wage who the club see developing into a first team player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We already have our 'Milners and McCallisters' tbh though - Henderson and Thiago will be those experienced players going forward (after the actual Milner leaves). We're not gonna add extra ~30 year olds to a midfield on top of those lads. Midfield profile from here has to be early to mid 20s.

I can't wait to see this guy play for Liverpool, he's going to tie the opposition's defenders in knots. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Harvey Elliott doesn't count as homegrown as he hasn't spent 2 years uninterrupted at Liverpool so he uses up one of 17 non-homegrown spots in the squad.

Liverpool have topped the Premier League Sustainability Rankings table!

Perhaps the club should organise an open bus parade to celebrate the achievement, it's been a while since we had one of those. 😉

• Advertisement

That's the current situation but next season he will be a homegrown player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He's English does that not make home home grow regardless off how long he's been at a club, isn't there a difference between Club Trained and HG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some rumors that the Leeds rearranged game will be the midweek of the League Cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

It feels like this season is like The Last Dance for this core set of players. Hopefully they can get some more silverware as they are the best Liverpool team of my lifetime (early forties) who have provided the most enjoyment and won the trophy that had eluded us for 30 years aswell as 'Old Big Ears'.

He is actually counted as homegrown - as you say, UEFA just have two categories of homegrown. You have 8 homegrown spots, 4 can just be English trained, but 4 must be trained by your own club. He counts in the first category, but we already have 4 of those registered anyway, with Milner, Hendo, Ox, and Nat.

the problem is we only have 3 club trained players, which just means you get to register one less player overall - a 25th registered player for us must be club-trained, so we’ll continue to be stuck with a 24 man squad.

Harvey’s age means after a bit more time with us he can move from the national tier of homegrown into the List B category for kids, and then later into the club-homegrown category for the long term.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

The powers that be have played with the wording to undermine the efforts of the clubs that buy up young talent and then send them out on loan deals.

Elliott moved to Liverpool (July 2019) when he was 16 so he had not been at Fulham for two years since his 15th birthday. He went on loan to Blackburn in October 2020 and he returned to Liverpool in May 2021. So in May 2023, provided he doesn't go on loan in the mean time he could be considered a home grown player having met the requirement to be with a domestic club for 24 consecutive months.

In contrast, Jude Bellingham was with Birmingham until he turned 17 so he fulfilled the 24 consecutive months requirement before he moved to Dortmund.

As far as I understand it, if we bought Jude in the morning, both he and Harvey would be in the same category - nationally trained homegrown, but not club homegrown by the club he’d currently play for. To fit into that club bracket, Jude would need to do the same as Harvey and spend a few seasons with us before turning 21.

Henderson, for instance, spent much more than 2 consecutive years with Sunderland before he turned 21, but is not in the club-trained category, because he didn’t do it with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'd have no issue with that to be honest. We've seen time and again our lads usually play better when in the rhythm of a games coming thick and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thiago back in full training and should be available for the FA Cup game.

• Advertisement

A lot of players returning from various things at just the right time for the run in. Can't help but feel cautiously optimistic about achieving something this season.

Elsewhere, Mane's looking pretty safely into the final now with Senegal 2-0 up. Set up the second very nicely.

Mane with an assist as Senegal go 2 up.

Looks like the final for him now.

When is the earliest we are likely to see Diaz on the pitch?

Mane with a goal as it goes 1-3

He finished up with the internationals yesterday, so I guess there's the slight possibility he could be available for the FA Cup match on Sunday, maybe on the bench with a bit of luck.

Brilliant assist and then finish from Mané.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Sadio was brilliant for Senegal tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d love to see him win it, even if he’s up against Mo in the final. It really could be exactly what he needs to get his confidence and form back at Liverpool, and Mo has such an elite mentality that losing the final or not even getting there won’t negatively affect him as much as it would for Sadio.

Ye have to agree with some id actully prefer to see Mane win the final,

Mo is a better player and qill win personal honors so it be nice for Mane to get this prize

I know nothing really about African football, but according to commentators on the bits I have watched, Egypt are underdogs and doing better than expected. If they win thanks to Mo, it will be a remarkable achievement for them/him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

• Advertisement

He is a key international player so shouldn't have a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Also not on TV

i think its a good time to play it, with everyone coming back to fitness they all need games ,plus it will give lads not in the cup final 11 a must win game to play in and not be sitting around worrying about not starting the final,

i think we do better with 2 games a week

Looks like the money spinning preseasons are back on.

Manchester United and Liverpool in talks over pre-season friendly in Far East

Manchester United and Liverpool have held preliminary discussions over taking part in a pre-season friendly in the Far East.

Bangkok has been mooted as a possible venue for the game in July, with the travel plans of both clubs dependent on Covid-19 and avoiding any new variants of the virus.

The Premier League rivals had talked about playing a friendly before the start of this season, but the proposal was scrapped after the disturbances which led to the postponement of the league fixture between the clubs at Old Trafford last May. United supporters stormed the stadium as they protested against the Glazer ownership regime in the wake of the failed European Super League coup.

High-profile, foreign tours by English clubs have largely been on hold.......

Kenny say Lucas was the best player he ever managed.

“It depends how you define best, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the best player, people make huge contributions in many ways that the punter doesn’t get to see.

“You see what they can do on the pitch, Steven [Gerrard], Luis [Suarez], Alan Shearer you mention the names and that’s the names that come to your mind because they were brilliant and their ability to play football was fantastic and their honesty and integrity in the games they played in were great as well and the contribution they gave to the team but you look at Lucas Leiva.

“By the way, Lucas was brilliant and you look what goes on in the dressing room and you need a really good dressing room to be led by really strong people in there and they’re not always the best players”.

Full Q&A with King Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Should have named himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If we beat Cardiff then the next round is midweek after the Chelsea game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Kanny Kenny chooses lucas instead of having to pick between the likes of Barnes Beardsley Rush Stevie ect.. Smart man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Any chance Mo gets the weekend off if Egypt are in the 3/4 playoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mo or no Mo, Egypt are a **** embarrassment. Utter shithouses.

Huge opportunity missed by Mo

There just not very good so do what they can to stay in games and hope for a jammy goal,

Kind of the opposite to Ireland who aren't very good and try to play like we are a top side,

Each to there own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Only after flicking on the Egypt match just a minute ago and the first shot was of a stretcher on the side of the pitch, and seeing it without any context nearly brought my dinner back up.

Huge, audible sigh of relief when the camera panned back to the pitch and Mo was upright. Felt like a concerned parent there for a second. 😂

• Advertisement

Think you managed to see the highlights of this one. Brutal.

Advertisement