Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theatre Performers subjected to racist abuse in Dublin

Options

Comments

To the victim they are the same. However the question is around whether this fits a broader pattern. Do we as a country have a problem with racism? No. Do racist incidents happen? Yes. Are the instigators of racism ONLY white Irish people? No. Can black people only ever be victims of race related aggression? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you walk down Oconnells’s st Dublin any day of the week you will see/hear racist abuse from Dublin scum aimed at predominantly Chinese students , that is racism plus whatever else is going on in poor little decos life

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd have thought it's a pretty valid question to be honest. But you get to dismiss it as an "old chestnut" because it poses a difficult question and you don't really want to answer it. Far easier to pretend to be the empathetic one than to actually connect the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

when you see how many of the people who post on this site are fans of the daily mail as seen in another thread you know that the site is withering down to a few cranky journal commenter types and they actually seem to be the majority here now of those of us who still bother posting on this dying site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Unlike yourself in very calm, thanks. You are the one who seems upset with your insulting style of posting.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

You can ask a hundred times if you like. I am under no obligation to reply to anything.

I posted my opinion on this thread, if you don’t like it, tough. If you think I’m lying well feck all I can do about that.

Mod Snip

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's like claiming the sun is splitting the sky's when it's actually bucketing rain. Then the people who they are sticking up for are the topic of many threads are in some cases the very ones giving out about them.

The mind truly boggles

The assertion that people are sticking up for the abusive arseholes is wholly incorrect.

Asserting that it is entirely possible that the reason behind this incident was not necessarily racially motivated (but included racist abuse) is in no way lessening the vile attack.

In fact, saying that it could have easily happened to any person/group of people is highlighting how serious the problem is.

In fact, saying that it could have easily happened to any person/group of people is highlighting how serious the problem is.

No. Saying it wasn't a racist attack makes it more difficult for other victims to come forward to report racist attacks. Playing down the racist aspect normalizes this type of behavior. This is known worldwide. The rape crisis center bangs on about this all the time as do shelters for battered wives/women.

Asserting that it is entirely possible that the reason behind this incident was not necessarily racially motivated is in no way lessening the vile attack.

There would be some truth in this if they called everyone Ni**er. They only called black people this (if this particular word was used). That means that they looked at the colour of their, their race & decided on what insults to use. This is known as racism. This type of attack is known as a racist attack. Assuming you know what was going through their head at the time is a very dangerous thing to do without hearing the facts. Respectfully I'd hate to be in the dock with you in the jury coming to conclusions before the evidence is heard. Well unless I was up for a race crime. Then I'd want a jury full of you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Insulting style ? By saying that equating deporting someone from Ireland and the holocaust is ridiculous ?

Your bar for an insult is fair low.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

No, it doesn't at all, it's still being condemned.

You disagree and that's fine. I'm not going to throw a personal insult at you just because you have a different opinion. I know it's unusual for that to happen around these parts.

racist attack was reported to the Gardai. Board Gas Theater & Disney have issued separate statements on this racial attack. You weren't there & neither was I. I'm happy to believe the victims just as the Gardai is. For whatever bizarre reason you insist it wasn't a racist attack.

I have not once stated that, the incident in question, wasn't a racist attack.

This manner of posting keeps being used, rather than dealing with what posters have actually written/stated.

I'm gobsmacked that so many are trying to lessen what these scum have done

Who has sought to lessen what the scum did? Nobody has sought to find excuses for that behaviour, in spite of the claims by yourself and others, that they have.

What has the rape crisis centre got to do with this?

It is not in any way "normalising" abuse. It is highlighting that these feral **** will threaten anyone.

The motivation behind the attack is what I feel is important. If these people were only attacking people BECAUSE of their race, then THAT would be racist. If they were out attacking people indiscriminately (which this particular area is well known for) but happened to use words tailored towards their target and their motivation was just to assault and intimidate, then I wouldn't say this was a racially motivated attack.

That's why the motivation is important.

But yeah, I can't say 100% what this groups motivation was. I have stated that repeatedly. But from my own experience and from what I know of the area, incidents like this are not usually what could be considered a racially MOTIVATED attack.

Are you of the opinion that any threats of violence which are accompanied by a racial slur instead of any other extreme insult become a more serious offence because of the racial slur used?

I really don't understand why posters are arguing about the motivation of the offenders? Seems weird that people are claiming that they're probably not racist, without knowing them!

But it is true that the motivation doesn't matter actually. The act does.

The victims were racially abused. That's what the statement says. Doesn t matter what the offenders think in their own head, they racially abused others. Much the same as if one lad drive down Henry street, killing loads of people, he commits mass murder, doesn't matter what his motivation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,402 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's always the "youths" get the blame but has anyone seen the state of the 30/40/50/60 year olds that do be up to the same scummy shte

I'd agree that the motivation doesn't really matter. Either way, it's despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

This thread is utterly bizarre.

Agreed 👍️

A group of black people visiting Dublin for work have been racially abused and multiple posters are claiming their race had nothing to do with it 🤦‍♂️

That’s what was said on here before about a homophobic attack in London involving two women. The motivation is being made the story by the ultra progressives, then and now.

Rothko: No, it doesn't at all, it's still being condemned.

Condemning scumbags instead of racist scumbag. Isn't condemning them for the crime reported. It's a cop out imo

Klaz: Who has sought to lessen what the scum did? Nobody has sought to find excuses for that behaviour, in spite of the claims by yourself and others, that they have.

Calling them scum but not addressing the actual crime isn't condemning anyone. Again "scum" but no mention of the racist attack that we are talking about.

The Dunne: Are you of the opinion that any threats of violence which are accompanied by a racial slur instead of any other extreme insult become a more serious offence because of the racial slur used?

No BUT the racial slur is a separate crime. In other words they can be charged with assault & racial abuse. In this case there was no reported assault. There is only one crime reported A racial attack yet over again many posters refuse to acknowledge the race aspect.

Here's the thing: Do you suppose the victims would prefer to be racially abused by racist scumbags or scumbags? Or do you suppose it hurts just the same no matter what the motivation?

I don't want to engage at pointing the finger at posters suggesting they might be racist but I can't think of any other reason to run so far from calling this a racial attack. Even going as far as suggesting we can get inside their heads & know it wasn't racial. This is mind blowing stuff

It's a racist attack to the victims, board gas theater, Disney & the Gardai. But here on boards its not a racial attack

I'll bow out. I can't keep repeating myself

• Advertisement

Well no, the racist abuse these people were subject to is the story 👍🏻

"BuT tHe PrOgReSsIvEs..." 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Quite a few posters have drawn attention to the utterly predictable behaviour of this particular cohort and yet some are demanding that it be called racist only, for reasons only known to themselves. Most of us have grasped that it is both and don't need it spelt out. We also understand that the root of the problem stems from general anti-social behaviour in certain groups, not just in their specific response here.

Post edited by is_that_so on

Calling them scum but not addressing the actual crime isn't condemning anyone. Again "scum" but no mention of the racist attack that we are talking about.

Both the scum, and the racist elements were addressed. Neither were denied. Excuses were not made nor attempted for either, and both behaviours were condemned.

Going to continue making claims that didn't happen?

I’m sure that looked great when you saw it on Twitter but it’s not an argument. People are saying that these feral youths are abusing everyone and you only care when it’s done to certain demographics. It’s a sign of the fucked up times we’re living in.

And they are rightfully being condemned for the act.

I've done nothing but condemn them too.

The reason I think the motivation is important is because someone seeking out and threatening people BECAUSE of their skin colour, is very different an issue than indiscriminate idiots threatening people using foul racial/abusive language directed at whoever happens to be the unfortunate random target.

Now absolutely this could be a racially motivated attack, we have no way of knowing. The poor people subjected to racist abuse should never had to go through it, but I do find it hard to believe, due to the large amount of people abused by these little pricks, that they wouldn't have picked on the first people they saw who they thought they could intimidate and then tailored the abuse to cause the maximum amount of distress and offense to the victims.

That is not to downplay the latter, it should be taken extremely seriously, but so should instances of when the same thing happens to any other person. I am uncomfortable with an attack being held to a higher level of severity because of the language used if the motive is the same.

I'm of the opinion that even if racial epithets weren't used, the behaviour would be just as terrifying.

I doubt anyone who received threats of violence and abuse have ever thought "well that was terrible, but at least I wasn't called a *insert slur*"

I’m sure that looked great when you saw it on Twitter

Didn't see it on Twitter😐️

People are saying that these feral youths are abusing everyone and you only care when it’s done to certain demographics. 

Wrong 😐️

• Advertisement

But if I walk down the Street in Lagos someone might shout hey paddy irish man,you look like a corpse,should I goon twitter and say I have beeen racially abused.

Will the whole of the media in Nigeria care about my feelings.

Advertisement