Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really did not get the love for Killzone 2. Played it when the circle jerk over the graphics calmed down and it was a very boring shooter which felt dated in terms of design. The graphics might have looked nice but the art direction was boring, performance was pants and the lag on controls horrendous since they hadn't quite figured out deferred rendering yet. The boss battles as well felt like something from 1998. It just seemed like graphical fidelity over gameplay. Halo 3's battles were so much more fun and organic in how you could approach them.

I heard Killzone 2 had great multiplayer and can't comment on that.

Sony were definitely piling on the Halo killer hype for the very first Killzone which was a real stinker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still don't know what Wordle is. Came about so fast I've yet to take the 30 seconds to absorb the existence of the thing.

Interesting how Game Pass is a platform logo separate to xbox.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, they've said before that they'd bring game pass to other platforms if they're allowed. An impossibility in my opinion, the discussion over how to split earnings would be too difficult.

As great as the Series X is, it's very clear to me that MS see this as a subscription business, rather than a hardware business. So far it's worked out very well for me as a player, but I've no idea how this will turn out in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

There was talks a while back of integrating game pass onto samsung tvs, and on mobile devices, you dont launch Xcloud, its the game pass app. It probably also has to do with instances where games might appear on PC game pass, but not console or cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony released a statement saying to expect more acquisitions.

Eventually I see the console becoming a thin client to cloud gaming like the nvidia shield. But we are still in an age where the majority do not have decent broadband, so the xbox console is here to stay for sure. And nVidia Shield is not that much cheaper than a series s.

Remember there were plans to split processing on cloud servers, Crackdown 3 was supposed to do that but it didn't work out. That hybrid model would make sense, especially if they could have the server do some graphical processing. Allowing us all to play 4k60fps on something as powerful as the series s or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve only heard this talked about by others, but my limited understanding is that Japanese competition and takeover law is quite a bit stricter, especially when western companies are involved. Might explain why few if any Japan-based developers have been bought up in the recent acquisition spree, although Sony might have a slight advantage if it does come down to that since they’re a Japanese company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I wonder would Sony try and get their hands on Ubisoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

Be a good acquisition as fair amount of their exclusives are just open world ubisoft clones anyway

Ubisoft is a funny one though as a large amount of the shares are held by the founders of the company that want to stay independent and fought tooth and nail against the last buy out attempt a few years ago. It would probably be too expensive to convince a majority of shareholders in the company to sell their shares compared to ubisofts worth.

It might surprise people but there is a smidgeon of actual integrity in ubisoft in comparison to the usual sociopathic majority shareholders in it for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't think Ubisoft would be of much benefit to Sony. It really is the Japanese companies I'm sure Sony would love to acquire, or at least tie in to strong deals to stop them going to Microsoft.

ubisoft would put software out on a smartwatch if they thought it'd earn them a cent. I cant see them looking to tie themselves to a single platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Apparently Ubisoft's market cap is "only" $6.9 billion. If the Guillemots could be convinced that would surely be far better value than any of the other big acquisitions seen recently, though the asking price would no doubt be well above that valuation. Personally I'd put Ubisoft well above Activision in terms of the number of big franchises they have that are actually worth playing and are not in terminal decline. They're probably the only big AAA publisher outside of Japan that consistently put out major releases that are well regarded every single year too.

Bungee don't seem like a great fit for Sony at all. Though I guess you could argue they fill a gap as Sony don't do generic FPS games or live service games loaded with microtransactions so I guess it's an area where they can try to catch up on Microsoft. An absolutely crazy amount of money for one studio with effectively one game though.

From reading an interview Jim Ryan did yesterday, it's definitely Bungie's experience with Live Service and Multiplayer gaming that Sony wants, rather than Destiny. Hence why there are no plans to bring Destiny or future Destiny content to PS exclusively.

Insomniac and Sucker Punch have recently been hiring for multiplayer projects. It's possible Sony are looking to create live service games using some of their existing franchises. Multiplayer games set in the worlds of Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us, plus older franchises like Killzone & Resistance.... Could be huge if done right.

A lot of live service games have failed. Both Destiny games have done reasonably well (despite rocky starts to both), plus they created Halo. Giving Bungie the freedom to keep doing whatever multiplatform stuff they want, while also having them help create/guide future new Sony multiplayer/live service games makes them more valuable than anything to do with Destiny.

The one thing to Ubisofts credit, is they support their games, Division 1 & 2, For Honor, Siege, all received multi year support and found a loyal audience.

If it were EA or Activision in charge of Siege, it wouldn't have made it out of year 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

RPS prematurely published a hands-on preview of Ghostwire Tokyo. It has since been pulled, but not before people grabbed some of the details. This reddit thread has info, Dusk Golem also has screenshots. Click on the tweet for more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yacht Club Games finally announced something non Shovel Knight related: Mina the Hollower, looking like a mix of Zelda & Castlevania. A Kickstarter was also announced. Obviously anyone sick of retro aesthetics might want to jog on lol 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mina looks amazing.

Call me when they have something interesting to announce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Not 100% confirmed but looks like Ghostwire: Tokyo has release date 25th March

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/02/ps5-console-exclusive-ghostwire-tokyo-confirmed-for-march-2022

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Obviously anyone sick of retro aesthetics might want to jog on lol 😁

On I jog! I do appreciate that some of these games can be amazing, but I get sick of the graphics very quick. Tried Abound(?) and other issues aside, I kept thinking how much nicer it would be with more modern smoother graphics. Same would happen with the above, and why I haven't tried a few popular pixel games (Celeste being one). I just don't have the eyes for that look anymore. Especially when you play something like Ori, Guacamelee, Dust, Hades, etc, same type games but visually beautiful and clear. Each to their own!

One of the main issues with modern pixel art games is that pixel art never looked as bad as the pixel art in those games. They are designed as if you are playing the game on a LCD screen on an emulator when they were designed to be played on a CRT and look gorgeous. I'd take retro pixel art over modern 2D art any day, it looks so much better but it's presented so wrong by modern games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's probably part of it, they do look slightly better in the Sharp Pixel format (which I'm guessing is your point?), but it's just pixelated games in general. I mainly don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I think his point is that they look better on the CRT screens where the pixels blend in together better and give a more dynamic look than the crisp pixel-perfect presentation you get on modern screens.

It's like any other art style; when pixel-art is done well by genuine talent, it's fantastic to look at. See Eastward for a recent, especially gorgeous implementation that mixed 16-bit artwork with lots of modern lighting. It wasn't concerned about technical accuracy and what could have been done in the SNES era, but what the medium of pixel-art could do as a whole.

Sidebar. Damnit, must play Eastward. Completely forgot about that one.

• Advertisement

See I think games like Dead Cells and Eastward strike a good balance between pixel art style but also modernising it. Whereas some other modern games like Celeste just look like pixel art for the sake of it. Even if the gameplay is designed to be like that older style of game, making it look like those games often just puts me off.

Advertisement