Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full Beam Headlights staying on even when ignition switched off.

• 02-02-2022 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭

Honda Accord 2007. Pulled into the drive last night, turned off the ignition and realized the headlights stayed on (full beam). Tried switching them off , nope - stayed on. All other lights working as normal.

Disconnected the battery , reconnected - lights came back on. To avoid the battery draining, removed the two fuses in the fuse box related to the full beam.

Googled the issue and it says it could be related to relays or the fuse box itself. Anybody have this experience and more importantly any ideas approx cost to fix ? Don't want to throw stupid money at a 15yr old car due it's NCT next month (even though I love it 😔)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it’s a relay, it’s only a few quid and plug in/plug out.

are any other lights coming on apart from the full beams (as opposed to dipped headlights, just so I’m sure which lights you mean)

is the blue light on the dash or the rear lights coming on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

@colm_mcm Thanks for the reply. No other lights coming on (staying on I mean) and the Blue Light on the dash works as normal if I was putting on the full beams and then goes off when I click the stick back into normal position. Rear lights are fine also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you lock the car with the central locking on the key does the lights go out?

I think from late 2006/2007 the Accord had auto-lights, is there a setting on the stalk to move to or from auto-lights, with that turned on or off does it make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

When you try to go from head to dip and vise versa what happens?

• Advertisement

I hear the click on the stick and see the blue headlamp icon come on the dash, click it back off , blue light goes out but High Beams stay on

Googled it a bit more and it seems to be pointing towards a motherboard issue in the fusebox , which is encased and means the whole fusebox needs to be replaced. Have it booked into to a garage on Friday - hoping it's not the motherboard issue and just a relay that's easily swapped out 🤞

😲 Appreciate the response but now you've just scared me 😂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Couple of things could be causing it.

1. Ignititon switch is very common to go on these and one of the symptoms is the lights staying on.

2.One of your door switches is stuck - little black switch at each door.They get stuck in the open position.

I highly doubt its fuse box.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - I'll check the door switches later. Don't think it's ignition as it's starts up perfectly everytime.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Send me a reg and Ill see if theres any technical bulletins open for lights staying on.

So ... the saga continues. Still have the original intermittent issue with the high beams staying on even if I kill the engine. Clicking the light stalk on and off eventually gets them to switch off.

Then a problem with the radio started. Sometimes it doesn't come on. Sometimes it comes on, works for 5mins to 20mins, then suddenly a loud "pop" and goes dead.

More annoyingly - lately I'll be driving along with the radio off (cos I can't be arsed) and suddenly it'll loudly pop, crackle and send static noise to all the speakers. It's like Aphex Twin experimenting in the car with me.

Kill the engine and it may stop, or stay the exactly the same , or the bleeding radio comes on like nothing has happened.

So far have taken it to three separate garages. None have been able to get to the root cause.

First place checked the alternator, battery connections, relays and fuses. Recommended a replacement battery. Did that. Still the same.

Shortly after that my alternator died.

Second place (highly recommended Auto Electric place - I won't name names) replaced the alternator and said they found a wiring issue which they fixed. I collected the car - got 5 mins down the road and the radio cut out. Took it back to them and they had it for 2 days running diags - found nothing. I had said that there was a brand new genuine Honda Light Stalk in the glove box and asked if they could fit that to see if that was the issue. They said no need, as it definitely wasn't that. Collected the car - same issue.

Third place (local to me) I was getting a service done and some minor stuff for the NCT. I asked could they swap the light stalk just for my own curiosity to see if that eliminated the issue. No joy.

So - anybody recommend a good , problem solving auto electrics place ? Somebody mentioned Blanch Auto Electrics - anybody here use them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

I would not assume the radio and lights issues are related. They might be, but they might not.

First simple step, have you replaced the headlight relay?

Hi - Thanks for the reply. First place I brought it to said they did but the problem persists. The frustrating thing is the fact the second garage had the car for 2 days and said they ran every test they could but couldn't figure it out.

My daughter's 07 civic does the same crack with the radio, luckily the lights are ok.

Interesting .... thanks. Might mean they are not related and are two separate issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Did anyone replace any other bulbs lately?

Back in the day a coworker had a Toyota (late 1980s model)

And they replaced the brake lights with the wrong type of bulb, single filiment instead of dual, and everytime the braked the headlights would come on/flash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭FluffPiece

Could it be a body control module gone faulty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Most cars will flash main beam with keys in your pocket and if the headlight relay was faulty chances are there is another in there same quality, My bets on the stalk gone funny and burnt contacts. Any aftermarket bulbs of higher wattage in use.

Radio is it factory unit or aftermarket and using different feeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This happened to me with my wife's honda Civic. I put a single filament bulb in a rear light socket by mistake and it caused the other lights to act up in a different part of the car (sorry it was a few years ago. Can't remember the exact details of which light was affected)

Putting wrong bulb in place of brake light bulb usually powers up dash or correct bulb is in there but filament hopes over and bridges the side light circuit.

To the user of car did you drive up to a wall and check height of main beam on wall and dip lights on the wall as you have said the blue light in dash goes out and wonder if its not a high beam issue.

I assume garage checked the bulb connectors and bulbs for issues.

Thanks for the replies folks.

To answer some of the questions :

Radio is the factory unit.

Body Control Module ... I haven't a clue what that is but will mention it to the garage next time I'm in there.

Bulbs have been changed periodically by the garage when servicing etc. They all work fine but I couldn't tell you if they used single filament instead of dual. The only bulbs I remember needing changing in the past 18mths have been the headlamps - H7 I think the bulb is.

The light stalk has been replaced with a brand new genuine Honda one. Didn't make any difference to the intermittent issues.

I spoke with a guy in Blanch Auto Electrics and explained everything. He's going to take a look next week. Hopefully he'll get to the bottom of it

Also have my NCT on April 17th. If I can't get these electric issues sorted, and it fails the NCT for anything major (it shouldn't - it's running fine) ... I might have to bring it up the Dublin Mountains and fire bomb it !

Honda's are usually built like a tank.

Peugeots have trouble with BSI body control module as water gets in there and screws up things.

Pollution is bad enough for burning cars or driving them into water.

There does seem to be other users out there with the same issues lights and radio.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=honda+accord+2007+light+issue&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b74f1763,vid:tMh9tbo4Ee8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I had all sorts of electrical problems with a Passat CC a few years ago. The problem couldn't be sorted, random electric glitches everywhere, battery running flat daily. New battery and alternator couldn't fix it. Couldn't find a parasitic load anywhere. Then we found the mice 😫 Car was essentially written off.

Jeez - sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure it's not mice ... my gut feeling is it's related to the Light Stalk connectors as the issues started with High Beams staying on , shortly followed by the radio issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Can those bsi units be repaired work mate has a 308 not starting mechanic told her bsi may be the problem.

• Advertisement

I believe they can as people out there repairing them , i found one of many

https://bba-remanshop.com/gb/.

Bsi should come up on a diagnostic scan with faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ryanair22

Hi RayCon, did you ever get to the bottom of the full beam and radio issues. I have a 07 Accord and both issues with it. Didn't think they were connected but not sure now.

I bought a radio/cd player from a car dismantlers and my brother in law is going to fit it the weekend, wondering if it will make any difference now.

With the full beams I'm told it's common with Accords and I need a new switchboard....

Hi Ryanair22 .... nope , never resolved. I gave up. Had multiple Auto Electrics places take a look and no-one could solve it. I just live with the fact that the radio can cut out at any time. For the High Beams staying on issue, It hasn't happened in a awhile and when it does, I just keep switching the light stalk on / off until they eventually turn off .... pain in the ass but I'm not spending anymore money on it.

I did see some Youtube video's diagnosing the problem and most point towards entire fuse board needing to be replaced. I guess I could try get one from a breakers yard but as I said, I'm living with it

Maybe it only affects Ray's 🙂🙂

Let me know how you get on with the radio replacement .... and out of curiosity - how much did you get it for from the dismantlers ?

Have fun if radio needs a code to enter ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement