Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ross Tierney got a lovely goal for Motherwell last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Will be in the next Ireland squad if fit. Think he missed out on the last squad because of Covid.

Both Ogbene and Tierney's goals last night. Tierney scored a 92th min equaliser and ball looks to bobbling as it comes to him so good clean strike for the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Sykes will be in ireland squad?

Thats 8 league 1 players then. Wow.

Imperative that James McCarthy and Hendrick can get a run of games in. They are going to be key players for the next two years with the serious lack of a viable alternative.

Post edited by Gusser09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ireland should look to Canada to see what they are doing. Football is gaining more popularity there, it has a bigger sport to complete with in Ice Hockey like football does here with the GAA. However more kids are playing football because it is cheaper for the parents because of equipment costs.

Fair dews Canada is much bigger population wise. While it has 3 teams in the MLS it also has its own football league with 8 more teams with 3 more joining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Not comparable situations thouh, Ireland & Canada. Football is already highest precipitation sport & probably most popular sport in Ireland already. No need to grow it's popularity.

Irish football's problem is that the majority of those fans have pictures of Utd / Liverpool / other EPL team in their profile pic / name. There is a myriad of reasons for this and it's not a dig at anybody so let's not go down that road.

What Irish football needs is investment, from infrastructure projects like Stadia to paying full time coaches at underage level. Most of this will need to be public initially as the aforementioned lack of interest from majority of football fans will keep sufficient commercial sponsorship out of Irish football. However, there is no reason that Ireland couldn't have a league comparable to Denmark / Scotland (bar Old firm) / Sweden. Have Irish teams regularly competing in European group stages (ECL , EL) and most importantly given young Irish lads the chance to have a stable career here in Ireland.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was in Canada 20 years ago visiting family. Got to go to highschool for a few days with my cousin. They had PE every day for a week, and happened to be doing " soccer" that week.

I as an exotic European was given the ball at every opportunity, and despite being shite, was a few levels above them all.

They wouldn't allow sliding tackles though which is gas as they all played hockey and you know smashed each other regularly enough

Dwayne DeRosario and Tomas Radzinski were the only high profile players really so they've come some way in that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I why would look a bit closer to home - Scotland . Scotland can nearly field eleven prem players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Ismael got sacked at west brom, one of those decisions that may be greeted with hugs and high fives in the dressing room. One thing playing Stoneage football at Barnsley, different doing it at West Brom.

anyway good news for CR7

Peaks and troughs though in reality. They have had a "stronger" league than us for years yet hadn't qualified for a major tournament since 98. 23 years.

Proper governance at all level is where Irish football really falls down. It's hard to know where to start and a lot of it is chicken and egg kind of stuff. Even with some of the structures gone in now it's hard to tell if they will be successful .It's also very hard to tell if in the long run Brexit will be a blessing in disguise or a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Canada has invested over time in football their Premier League is a new league. That is where I was going with it. Ireland needs the time and investment. Looks like Canada fruits are paying off with a World Cup run as long as things don't go pair shaped over the next 4 games with 3 of them away from home. But taking 4 points out of Mexico is always good.

Scotland are a decent example to look at squad wise and even more so because we've to play them this year. You look at their recent squad they had 8 PL players, with Scott McTomminay and Grant Hanley out injured and Ryan Fraser not called up.

When you look at their PL players the average age is 27 when rounded up though drops a year when you include Patterson whose moved to Everton and could be Colemans long term replacement.

Their three oldest players are only a couple of months older than Duff, Hendrick, and Doherty who turned 30 last month. Hendrick has now dropped a level and after him it's lads that you're hoping can make the cut at that level.

O'Shea, Molumby or Aaron Connolly would have only started at schoolboy level when changes were starting to happen to underage football here, even if they were minimal compared to where they should be. In 7/8 years when these lads hit 30 we'll have hopefully developed a core group of players to build our squad around. Though knowing our luck they'll all be defensive players 😂

We've got a couple of lads in around that 27 age mark who've been decent for us this year in Robinson and Cullen. Our issue is we're stuck trying to build a team around them when they're top 6 Championship players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not at all surprised by that move. West Brom actually started the season playing better stuff, but as the weeks went on Ismael increasingly resorted to pumping the ball long. It was utterly bizarre as the likes of Robinson (not to mention Mowatt, Grant and Diangana) play best with the ball at feet. Definitely positive news for Robinson though, assuming West Brom don't bring in another long ball merchant.

Darragh Lenihan a potential target for New York Red Bulls. Out of contract in the summer and not sure what kind of money they'd offer him but would have a few offers in England possibly. Doubt any potential move would be decided until the summer as he'll likely sign a new contract if Blackburn get promoted.

If he was going to sign a contract, I'd say he'd already have done it by now. I reckon he's off, and he'd crazy to stay at Blackburn anyway. He's going 28, he's in the prime and form of his career, he's available on a free, and not to mention he's spent 10 years at Blackburn earning a pittance. He'll get offers of double or even triple what Blackburn can offer and probably get a nice long term contract to set him up for the rest of his career. Would prefer to see him stay in England rather than go to America, but certainly wouldn't begrudge him a big pay day.

• Advertisement

Scotland who have qualified for 1 major competition in 23 years? Not a great example being honest.

Why sign a new contract now and make the same mistake as Ronan Curtis did when you can wait and see what happens. Two figures for the wages he's on are 12k and 14k. Blackburn go up they could afford to pay him the wage he's looking.

If Blackburn don't get promoted, and can't afford to pay him what he feels he's worth then he's gone. He's got two young kids and probably well settled in the Manchester area so can't see him moving far. Would probably have to be a very generous offer for him to move abroad and not sure if a MLS team would offer those wages to him.

Himself and Dunne made team of the month for January, and Lenihan himself is the highest rated CB in the championship going by WhoScored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Id be surprised if McCarthy plays many more games for Ireland, letalone be a key figure for us.

I had thought that myself. But the we're in for midfielders at the moment he should be in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

How's he doing at Celtic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He seems to have little interest in playing international football. I wonder does he regret choosing Ireland over Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not great, only started a couple of games and with new signings made in Jan is further down the pecking order. Bizarre that we gave him a 4 year deal

He was carrying knocks and injuries for a while. Got the last 20 last night so hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

Imagine if himself, McClean, hendrick and Hourihane were to walk in the morning. Our midfield options are dreadful. We need those lads to play as long as they can in my opinion.

Blackburn have no money though and if this Premier League interest does materialise, there's not a hope they can compete financially to retain him. I guess we will find out, but I suspect this is going to be Lenihan's best chance of a big pay day given his age, and he'd be crazy not to take advantage of his out of contract status to secure a lucrative deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If Blackburn can get promoted they would surely get a massive cash injection No?

Roy Keane linked strong with a return to Sunderland. Hopefully they've still been filming Sunderland till I die because this part would be well worth watching if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Of those I’d only have Hendrick in my first 11 in midfield, and he’s only just fought his way back in after his more recent improved international performances after years of being rubbish. My midfield 3 at the moment would probably be Cullen, Hendrick, and Knight.

Yeh I'd agree. But when you look beyond that and see what the cover is like it's alarming.

Cullen has become such an important player for us in that number 6 role. Only for injuries and players being out of form he probably wouldn't have started against Serbia back in March. If Anderlecht can't get him to sign a new contract in the summer they might have to move him on or risk losing him for free with 16 months left on his contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Would anyone know how many tickets are available for groups/teams to attend matches ?

Tried looking it up, but cant seem to find answer...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Speaking of Smallbone he's back training after being out with a calf injury. Would be great if he got a loan move in the summer with the amount of time he's missed through injuries over the last two and half seasons. Kilkenny has played more games this season than Smallbone has in 2.5.

Coventry Kilkenny and Smallbone are unproven and not starting regularly. Coventry is a league 1 player. Molumby is by no means a starter for WBA. All the lads are hitting 22-23 now so it's vital for us and them that they push on. I think for the short term 18-24 months we'd be better served with the likes of Hourihane and McCarthy in the squad. I mean Conor Coventry lads? He's played less than 30 senior games for club.

I think the same lads pushing players out and looking for unproven players to be in there instead were the same lads deriding Glen Whelan.

No not at all. We are flush for good goalies playing football at the moment and the same goes for central defenders so they are really silly illogical comparisons to the dearth or options in midfield.

Midfield is a worry. A big one. To say that things aren't grim based on the handful of games Kilkenny, Smallbone and Coventry have between them is a mystifying thing to say really. I'm not talking about Josh Cullen and that's clear. I'm saying that for the short term it would be a huge plus if McCarthy were to start playing games at Celtic becuase we have so little else to pick from in midfield.

Maybe we should start looking at league 2 at this rate.

But there's no evidence that "blooding" players has improved their development though. The two examples you cite didn't need any development, they just walked into the senior team and were a success instantly because they played well at club level.

Bazunu got his debut because he was the only one who was fit, playing regularly and was highly regarded despite the fact that he had a rubbish Rochdale defence in front of him. As you pointed out, Omobamidele got a string of games in a team that ended up getting promoted while getting rave reviews. None of these lads needed to be developed within the international team. They showed something at club level, got given a chance at international level and came good instantly on their first game. Sticking on a green jersey and getting 2 or 3 training sessions under Kenny didn't transform them. They took advantage of the opportunity presented by others getting injured, but were there because they had some sort of club form to back it up.

I do not know why the current panel of players that we have available to us is so poor, but I am fairly sure it's not because they haven't been given enough minutes. Mick gave Connolly and Parrott their debuts back in 2019 for example. Both players has gotten plenty of games since, but neither have developed as we had hoped. Kenny gave debuts to the likes of Idah, Knight, and Molumby. Again, I don't see how senior caps have helped them progress. Molumby has probably went backwards. Knight and Idah have probably stayed about the same.

Brendan Rodgers was asked a few years back why Irish players were struggling to make a name in the Premier League. He said that the academy structure that's in place for 11-16 year olds in England is far superior to what we have. I think he's probably onto something there. When you look at the strength in depth England have compared to us, it's abundantly clear that whatever they're doing is right, and whatever we're doing is wrong.

I think this idea that we can "blood" 19-20 year old players to play up to an international level is just completely wrong.

Damien Duff was fairly rubbish for his early games for Ireland. Did that mean he wasn’t good enough at the time or just that he needed 10-15 caps to settle in? John O’Shea was similar.

you’re entitled to your opinion; if it is that the quality players will immediately look the part regardless of age at senior level and capping them early doesn’t help them development. I would be more of the opinion that players from ages 17-22 are basically on work experience for their first 10-15 caps. Completely unreliable and inconsistent normally. Once they get to cap 20 they start to settle and provide consistent performances.

Duffer and O'Shea were premier league footballers getting plenty of game time so again that's an illogical comparison to Coventry and Ogbene for example who are League 1. Kilkenny isn't playing regularly either. Horgan is league 1 also. I'm saying we can't really afford to write off McCarthy and Hourihane just yet. In midfield we justdon't have the options. Defence is totally different as are the keepers.

The post I replied to said there is no evidence that blooding players helped their development and, to paraphrase, players who are good enough will show it immediately no matter how young. That’s the point I was replying to.

oshea and duff proves this point as they clearly were good enough but took a while to show it at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cullen, Molumby and Coventry have all probably played more than McCarthy has the last few years.

• Advertisement

Reporting that Festy is to have a medical with Udinese. Himself and Knight were named in the 21 under 21 most promising players in the EFL.

Not shocked, but it would have to be the team we're playing next FFS 😂

Very opportunistic move from the Watford/Udinese owners. By getting Ebosele to sign for a non-English club, they don't have to pay the ordinary compensation that's due when a player under 23 moves within England. Once he joins Udinese, he can be loaned/transferred to Watford for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

McCarthy and Hourihane have been absolutely abysmal for years now especially McCarthy when was the last time he had a good game for Ireland or at club level? We can't keep hanging onto dross like that just because their replacements are in league 1.

I hope he doesn't end up at Watford next season, and stays at Udinese for a bit. Would be good for Abankwah to have another Irish player there and Festy would get more game time there than Watford unless they get relegated and lose players.

Tuchel called him the best set piece coach he's ever seen. When you look at how good we have gotten at set pieces since he joined, I think it's fair to say he's had a very positive impact. Even though he's leaving, hopefully someone can take over the mantle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Well we can and we have to. Same can be said about Hendrick. Coventry has played feck all games and all at league one or below. Kilkenny isnt doing enough in championship. Sykes is in league 1 too. Browne is decent but like McCarthy, Hendrick and hourihane rarely plays well for Ireland.

Midfield is a cause to be really concerned about our short term and long term success.

Ruaidhri Higgins helped get Barry in, should see if he's mates with Michael Beale too.

Didn't know Clement had joined Everton, and probably brought in by Lampard after Barry turned down him down. Hasn't worked out for Clement as a manager but has been Carlo Ancelotti's assistant at Chelsea, PSG, Madrid, and Bayern so comes with big experience as a coach.

Hopefully the FAI push the boat out again and look at a good coach to come in and don't cheap out on it. Had to laugh at this tweet earlier and sums up the **** show of the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Hendrick is different he's played well for Ireland last few games I'd 100% keep him I'd give Hourihane and McCarthy the road immediately a pair of wasters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement