Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a home close to Sheriff Streets?

Options
  • 02-02-2022 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm not Irish but I've heard various bad news about Sheriff Street. My question is about the areas in the close proximity, specifically George's Dock, Mayor Street lower and upper up to the Point - so along the luas line. It seems these streets are looking better than say Parnell, Talbot or the entire area around the Spire and the apartment buildings are newer, but still, it's very close the the renowned Sheriff Street. What's your opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If I was working from home and would only ever want to leave the house during daylight and would never buy a car, yes, otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

If you're talking about one of the apartment blocks between George's Dock and the Point then you will experience very few social problems. Once you go back a bit further into East Wall you might run into some issues but even then the area is gentrifying rapidly. Rents are very expensive around there for a reason. Very nice area to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cristianc

Yes, I'm looking at the apartments on Mayor street to Point village along the luas line or even more closer to Liffey. But also in the Grand canal area, although this one is not served by the luas.

How is Sherif street gentrifying?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PSFarrell

Lived on Foley St for a year....Not a nice spot..Drug dealing and anti-social behavior are rampant...I'd run a mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I would say towards the Point on the LUAS line would be better than Mayor street. A friend lives in Spencer Dock but there are some build issues there which are not resolved yet. However, towards the Point it looks like there is more opening up there and hopefully the new office blocks/apartments/ hotels will bring more life to the area.

But personally I would go for Grand Canal as it is more lively. Not really a Sheriff street question though…feral youths are all over Dublin it seems.

Why pay for something all the other people are getting for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I bought near Sheriff Street years ago. Down by George's Dock. Amazing location. Close to everything and excellent public transport (for Ireland). Very peaceful and safe for a city centre location, with no passing traffic etc. Generally, you won't be bothered by Sheriff Street folk other than very young kids hanging around the shops etc, and the odd drunk/drugged up person shouting/sleeping at a luas stop etc, but is harmless (although ugly!) and you'll get that everywhere in the city centre. You simply never have a reason to go down there, other than to drive through it (if you are driving north from your location).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cristianc

I don't like the area around Talbot either, looks like a mix of all the social levels but mostly the lower ones.

I see you like Grand Canal more, although it has no luas? What do you mean by lively? More people? And of better quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

More restaurants, more people, theatre nearby, and it is Dublin 2 so should hold its value plus still close to the Dart. All depends on budget. And there may be options also for houses around D2/D4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Very different spot to where the OP is looking. Foley Street is pretty notorious too. Board Gas left the building there because so many of the employees were being harassed. IFSC is a different kettle of fish completely. I think the place is pretty soulless and incredibly quiet over the weekends but safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,895 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That IFSC/George's Dock/Mayor Street/CHQ part of Dublin is a nice little enclave but it's surrounded by some bad areas alright. I lived up the road at the top of Gardiner Street for 6 years and passed through that area a lot on the way home. You'll see everything from business people to dodgy teenagers and junkies.

Would be a great spot for a young person but I wouldn't be making any long term plans to live there. I really enjoyed living where I did for that time period, but eventually did get really sick of having to interact with dodgy folks on a daily basis, it gets tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PSFarrell

Around grand canal dock...the apartments are nice and its a vibrant area but alot of anti-social behavior in around Pearse St and a lot of borderline feral teens knocking about. Used to work in a building beside Grand Canal dock and teens would use the roof as a diving board. Grand area if your single but if bringing a family there i'd think twice.

Advertisement