Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm being harrassed by Irish Water collections for money I don't owe

Options
  • 02-02-2022 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello

I'm getting regular threatening phone calls from Irish Water collections relating to an outstanding bill that I don't owe.

The specifics of the account are that I rent a commercial unit that shares a water line with 6 apartments overhead. The allowance for these residential units was not applied to the account and so our minimal usage (2 person staff using only a toilet and sink Monday - Friday, no other water usage at all) was receiving bills for the whole building.

Someone from water services came out and confirmed that the line is shared and that the allowance should have been applied. Irish Water applied the discount to historical bills that they charged directly, but did not apply it to the bills they inherited from Dublin City Council.

As such I continue to get phone calls and letters demanding payment, threatening disconnection, legal action etc. I get a phone call every 3-4 months, which takes a half hour of me explaining the history on the account and why I don't actually owe the money they're claiming I owe.

Each time the caller promises that they'll log the information on the account, or escalate it, or get someone to look into it etc. However none of that happens and instead I get another phone call from someone threatening disconnection, legal action etc unless I pay.

I even have a copy of a phone call recording (obtained through GDPR data request) where they're admitting that I shouldn't be charged. Yet I continue to be hounded on this.

Today's phone call was from an individual who was particularly aggressive and threatening over the phone and I'm sick of it now, I've told them before that it's getting to the point of harassment and I feel it's crossed that line now.

It's clearly not going to stop and my account is just sitting in the 'collections' pile. Looking for advice on how I can get this resolved.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Simply say that you have provided information already and not entering any further conversation.

Thank you.

Then put the phone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

May as well do as advised above and wait for court date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could try contacting the regulator and lodging a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 waterbill

I listen to what they have to say in case there's been any kind of escalation or change to the situation. This naturally leads into a conversation. Maybe it would be better I just hangup the second I know who it is, but even still I don't see why I should be hounded like this and put in that position. The last caller was shouting down the phone at me, threatening disconnection etc. It's really not on.

Thanks very much, I'll give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Write to a senior manager, cc'ing the minister.

Say what your have said here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

My inclination would be to write a detailed letter of complaint to Irish Water setting out the information.

Send the letter by registered post.

Tell them that they have 10 days to resolve the issue definitively or you will file a formal complaint with the regulator.

Also, tell IW that you may report the matter to the Gardai as harassment if you receive any more telephone calls demanding payment of a debt that does not exist. Harassment is an offence as per the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997. Link https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/10/enacted/en/html

Advertisement