Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2022 and whingeing students

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Would drop out rates be associated with students taking up courses they didn’t want, or would it be due to the students being inferior to pre-Covid entrants?

It seems some idiots think that because students got predicted grades over the last two years, they are in some way inferior to pre-Covid students. Predicated grades was the rising tide that lifted virtually all boats, not some, if the rise in grades is to be used as a metric.

For years there has been calls to reform the LC away from a “one shot” exam to continual assessment in conjunction with an exam. And while the hybrid system used over the last two years was not what was envisaged, it did give teachers input into what they saw from students over the entirety on the LC cycle. Now however, instead of embracing the opportunity to make the grades more about performance over two years, some on here are calling for a reversal to what is, a glorified memory test apart from subjects which involve problem solving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Drop out rates will be due to students' choices. The colleges bend over backwards not to fail anyone - it's bad for business.

The "rising tide" will have lifted all boats in the pandemic years - you will also have 2019 students and 2022 students competing against them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Right decision IMO, this year's class have had some disruption but that's offset by the increased options on the papers. You can't blame the students for wanting an easier path but it has to move back towards normal at some point and that may as well be now IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In fairness, I'm not sure one bad day should dictate the test of your life (unless you killed someone).

Honestly, the amount of stress this thing creates prices to be that the thing is not for for purpose and if it's the best we have then I say can in Thanos.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

"The State provides an education".... I can never read that sentence and not laugh!

It's an indoctrinated entrance exam to an institution most will never finish even if the get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It doesn't dictate the rest of your life at all.

Multi nationals come here and cite our highly educated work force. Clearly the leaving cert is good.

What is the nonsense in your last sentence? Have you anything remotely resembling a statistic to back that up?

Colleges really really really really really really really really dislike failing people. All they want is to take your registration fee and give you a pretty meaningless piece of paper at the end of it. Failing people is bad for business, so they almost never do it. And they want as many people to get in to use their vending machine as possible - hence the continued expansion and bs new courses.

The career you choose is a pretty important element of your life, wouldn’t you say.? Particularly as most of us will continue to work until retirement. It is a fact that most of us choose our preferred careers prior to our LC, I suspect most people working for those same MNC’s obtained their qualifications after graduating courses they entered based on their LC results.

So, it is fair to say that your performance on the day of your leaving cert at least influences the career you follow for the rest of your life, and it is rather simplistic of you to dismiss that.

Well what else does it do?!

And students dropping out is nothing to do with colleges not wanting to fail them - its this forced idea that they MUST get into college NO MATTER WHAT resulting in them taking a course the probably shouldn't take in the first place.

This is not education.

It can do if you have a bad day. It shouldn't, but it can.

Again - because it starts out with the premise that doing the leaving cert MUST result in college.

• Advertisement

Well, we'll agree on that anyway - this notion that students MUST go to college is damaging. And it will become worse with all these bs "Technological universities" - at least the ITs were ostensibly directed at more practical studies; I fear they'll lose that and simply devolve into just the "theoretical" stuff, but at a lower level.

Companies and parents are feeding this notion that college degrees are meaningful, and the colleges are laughing all the way to the bank. The life experience is good, sure, but you'd learn more on youtube etc. in a fraction of the time. I thought the pandemic would go some way to changing things in that regard, but seemingly not yet...

The degrees are only worthwhile if they're in something you're ar least interested in, otherwise your going I live a very bored and resentful life doing **** you thought was interesting when you did the leaving because that's what you were told to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

Also, the government got out ahead of this problem and publis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Most drop out? Would love to see the stats for that but suspect you're talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

The issue here is that the Govt has said LCert grades will be in line with last years ie inflated! So we’re looking at another year of high points for many courses. They’ve kicked the can down the road, at some stage we will have to return to ‘normal’ grades before the LCert loses all credibility

the goverment never makes the tough decisions, the leaving cert will be completely devalued and essential any good results will have the same standing as a "participation award". The colleges will probably start setting their own entrance exams to deal with it. Think of the American, High school diploma,, a glorified attendance award vs actual SAT marks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

I agree. If 2022 results are lower than 2021, any 2021 student applying to the CAO this year should have their 2021 results reduced correspondingly. Every year results are adjusted to fit into the bell curve the Dept of Ed thinks is correct, so it shouldnt be a problem adjusting 2021 results. Yes the 2021 students suffered through 5th & 6th year and they had higher grade inflation than 2020.

There was some comments on radio yesterday of 2022 results being adjusted if the distribution curve didn't match that of 2021.

If 2023 exams have the same format as 2019, the the problem just repeats itself.

The colleges won't set entrance exams - they want to allow everyone in. Unless they want to also instigate some more pre-degree "preparation" courses..

You do know that there used to be university matriculation entrance examinations up until the early 90’s, they were done away with as a waste of time and resources. They used to take place a week or two after the LC ended and had a slightly different syllables. Students used to be able to combine the results with the LC and apply using the best grades in each subject. Why would third level colleges take the retrograde step of reintroducing what was effectively a rerun of the LC?

Im struggling to see what peoples objections are to third level colleges admitting as many students as they possibly can. Is this not what was being called for? The opportunity for as many students as possible to further their education.

• Advertisement

Yes, the "third-level education" bubble is still floating un-popped...

If the LC grades become worthless they need something to differentiate canditates. 5 times the number of top grades means places in high demand courses are being mainly decided on random selection in the first round.

Fair point, didn't mean "most" literally. A quick scan tells me that the actual number is 25% which is still a pretty high number considering a mad stresssful scramble they went through to get there in the first place.

I'd also be curious to know what percentage of people that finished their courses went on to get employment in their chosen field and what percentage of those are actually happy with their professional lives.

Advertisement