Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance _ its a mess in this country

Options
  • 02-02-2022 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

I just want simple insurance, but the companies just don't make it simple:

I have to list a security device in my insurance application... but, if I choose 'disc lock' then one day I lock it with a 'D lock' the insurance can tell me I didn't provide security as agreed.

They want to charge extra for commuting (I'm not going to commute, and don't want to), but if one summers day I want to leave work and go on a camping trip, if I've brought the bike to the office, is that legitimate or considered commuting?

I'm not trying to be difficult or to cheap out, but it doesn't give any flexibility to use and enjoy the bike...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This "Commuting" thing has become a segnificant issue,that I believe should be referenced on to the Insurance Ombudsman. Be careful,as Insurers are now covering commuting to a SINGLE place of work,which can make it difficult for those of us who could be despatched to multiple sites. This needs to be stopped asap.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Considering that travelling to multiple sites during the day is considering working hours, and all other health and saftey laws apply, then if you are travelling to different sites as part of your work then you'll need commercial insurance. We can't have our cake, paid travel to sites, and eat it, non commercial insurance when using your vehicle for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

But that is listed separately again...

1. No commuting.

2. Commuting.

3. Use for business purposes.

There has to be some level of flexibility... Like I said, I have no intention of commuting, but there may (or may no) be times I need the bike fo other purposes during the day... What of I need to bring it for a service and drive it to the workshop near the office... Is that commuting? It's ambiguous, and we all know that insurance companies aren't trustworthy, so it's unlikely they'll make any decisions that fall in the customers favour.

Commuting is going to work, so if you go to work on your bike you've commuted to work by bike.

If you are using your bike as part of your work you'll need commercial insurance, for a car it'd be class 1 I assume it's the same for bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just to be clear,I'm fully aware that using ANY privately owned vehicle in the course of one's employment requires a commercial use declaration.

What I am referencing is the social & domestic use to and from ones workplace,not in the course of one's work.

The questioning I dealt with from CN focused on their requirement for me to notify them individually of any addional work locations I would be commuting to,as might happen for example in the Security Industry.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...but that's just it. going to your job is part of social, DOMESTIC and pleasure use.

this is just another way for insurance companies to squeeze money out of people, and the CPCC or Insurance Ireland should be proactive on stopping this type of thing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not always that simple. My last contract stated three different sites I could be deployed to, on opposite sides of the city. Temporary and "more permanent" moves were common. I was told I was going to have to move to a different site, with two weeks notice. My "commute" changed almost overnight, in that I was going to a different place. They could also ask you to do it for a few weeks so its not straightforward.

I left that madness behind.

It is that simple. If you are travelling from your home to anything other than your main work location it is not commuting.

It isn't in that case. Your "main work location" could change between those three places, at the whim of the employer. It wasn't a case of one "main" location with two satellite locations, the three locations were known as a Network officially and each were of equal importance. Where you were assigned became your "main work location" as in, you were based there and had a desk. But they could move your "main work location" as the workforce required.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

I don't think its unreasonable to expect commuting cover to cover travelling to your work wherever that might be as distinct from driving as a central part of your work (bike courier, food delivery etc.) who should have commercial insurance. Being required to nominate a main place of work and then notify them of any trips to other locations your employer requires you to work from is excessive and should be rejected.

The obvious comparison is car insurance where commuting is pretty much automatically included in the terms of a social, domestic and pleasure policy and I have never encountered an insurer who required me to specify where you commute to and if that varies. It's an unreasonable reach for bike insurers to impose it on motorcyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Fabio

I was asked this question by CN when I was renewing and didn't understand the reasons for it. I questioned it at length and the guy on the phone tried his best with me but I'll never understand why it's considered distinct. It should be the same as with cars in that it's just automatically included.

Imagine if you were a security guard who worked in a shopping centre and was told "next week I need you to be based in this office block elsewhere" - you're not riding the bike in the course of work but you have to continually change what is considered your work base. I wonder does that also incur an admin change fee from the insurer?!

It's madness.

If you have different bases then you aren't commuting you are travelling for work, it's in the link I provided. If your employed by a company at location A then all travel to that is commuting, if they tell you you need to be a location B for the next few weeks that's travelling for work, if you are back to location A then you are back to commuting. If you have to go to location A in the morning you've commuted to work, if they tell you to then go to location B it's work. This is an unintended consequence of people fighting for recognition that travelling for work was work, what it's done has messed up insurance now.

The issue with bikes is that a lot more bikes are toys and only used rarely, so if you never use your bike for commuting why would you pay an increased premium for it? You don't nominate your work location, if you work in one place all the time it's not an issue once you have commuting cover. The issue is when you have to travel as part of your work and the law was changed in the last few years to consider that working time, so you need appropriate insurance driving for work, usually class 1.

The law is the same for car drivers, commuting is standard but if they are travelling for work they need class 1 insurance. It's up to the person taking out the policy to ensure they have the correct cover not the insurance companies, you could argue that motorbike insurance companies are actually looking after their customers by doing this as if you are involved in an RTC having the wrong cover is a major issue.

Thats quite interesting so... I still wonder would my place of work called "The Network" be comprised of Location A, Location B and Location C. My normal place of work would be "Location A", but they could tell me that I'm being moved to Location B for six months. Location B becomes my place of work.

In any case, it actually was a public/health service employer. You'd have been laughed out the door of the office if you'd claimed for any travel. Even travel between centers on the day, if you were anything lower than management, well, they just wouldn't sign it off.

Advertisement