Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Bolloxolgy.

Options

Comments

The above follows on from this

Emissions from dairy sector must not rise beyond their current level - McConalogue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not sure i understand - are you saying that because the weight of CO2 required to grow the grass to feed a cow, is ~10 tons, that means a cow is responsible for taking 10 tons of C02 from the atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

What I'm saying is that there is 9 tonnes of CO2 removal absent from the inventories, and the only gaseous flow attributed to agriculture are the emissions. This is a sham.

Attributing the CO2 removal to the cow, is partially correct.

If we leave ground fallow, the resulting vegetation will grow, utilising CO2, then die, rot and emit a certain amount in the form of CO2 and methane.

I can only give you grassland figures, but if we do not graze our fields, (unfertilised, unfarmed, of just remove the grass manually) we would grow between 4 and 6 tonnes of grass per hectare. When we graze cows (and we do use inputs) we grow between 14 and 16 tonnes of grass per hectare...ie..the more you graze, the more you grow..

I do attribute, this extra growth to the stock, and this extra growth does utilise extra CO2, and my figures have cows emitting 2 tonnes less CO2-EQ, than what their grass utilised to grow.

This is taking into account both120kg Methane (3360 CO2 eq) plus 3,600 kg CO2 respired.

We've been scammed....The figures is one thing, but the way it is being systematically ingrained in the general public is quiet something else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What I'm saying is that there is 9 tonnes of CO2 removal absent from the inventories, and the only gaseous flow attributed to agriculture are the emissions. This is a sham.

Attributing the CO2 removal to the cow, is partially correct.

what about respiration?

all we can attribute to the cow itself in terms of carbon capture at slaughter, are the C atoms in its body. assuming the cow is 18% carbon by mass, and weighs 750kg, that's 135kg of C, or the equivalent of less than half a ton of CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You'd have the milk too if it's dairy.

And then the dung pats adding carbon below soil via earthworms and dung beetles.

@alps is the dung pat part of the grassland sequestering figures used in this country?

• Advertisement

The dungpat should show up as part of soil samples, however we have a tendency to avoid the dungpats when sampling.

This carbon will show up in the LULUCF inventory when we finally get around to havung measurements done.

My arguement above has nothing to do with carbon ending up in soils, hedgerows, animals, product.

The arguement is purely a gaseous one.

Our gaseous emissions,(the upflow) CH4, NOx and CO2, are all counted, but the "downflow" is not.

The downflow of CO2 is over 2,000kg greater than the upflow of CO2 from each cow.

Maybe portion of this 2,000kg then ends up being stored in the soil? Product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

This whole carbon thing is a scam, using selective figures to get their desired result. Food production is calculated where produced, oil is calculated where it is consumed because it suits their agenda. Regulate the farmers but leave me to continue on my merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Agree, all co2 should be for place of consumption rather than origin

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I wonder how many individuals are really driving this here?obviously some politicians,a good few civil servants who want to bend over for fdi. wonder are they being incentivised corruptly? it looks like we are not calling them out enough. wonder if we need to take a firmer stand against government instead of a few token marches to cork and Dublin . we don't seem to have people who can hold it together in the media to put their point across. farm lobby weakened by splits. we need to get more professional against the zealots and we need a Congress of farm unions to agree coherent response

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You had someone well fit to argue on climate change and you fired him because he was too expensive. Farmers are ''authors of their own demise'' alright.

• Advertisement

I didn't anyway! but I do agree . he should not have been fired

The arguement might be correct, but is getting aged now.

However, these inventories were agreed after "extensive negotiations" at Paris December 2015. Your man departed one month previous. Was he guiding discussions up to the agreement in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It was small mindedness and begrudgery threw him out, not common sense. If there was an issue while I was involved, expert advice would've been found and used, I don't know if that's the case now. Also fighting it out on the media is a waste of time, public opinion only gives a s...te about their own issues. Farmers should be hounding their TDs on the inequities of what's going on but they're too lazy to do anything apart from whinge, four or five in every county meeting politicians once a month isn't near enough on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

Seems the coal industry is booming. Glencore stuck with it and are having some reward for it. BHP are looking to get back in!

And announcement eminent here of herd cuts..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Action is needed, that much is evident.

But all we get is finger pointing at others saying 'they're the ones that need to change, not me' and meanwhile the above is what is happening in the real world.

You've got more than finger pointing from farmers, but it will never be recognised.

I've direct bills totalling 8k for last year between extra slurry spreading cost and protected urea.

Listening to so much chyte at this stage, getting cross..

Colm Markey's very good presentation today had head of Agri DG saying airlines will be a customer for agri carbon credits....

Cut food as we need to expand in other areas..

This high profile industry stakeholders meet again next week, an this will turn out to be a charade like the marts consultation process..

Bad news..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Oh look at this. I think I ranted on this thread before about how farmers would get rode when it comes to the selling of carbon credits.

First up, we have talk of using ag credits to offset carbon in other sectors like airlines for example. That boils down to prioritising flying over food. This might be a good idea if a) only excess credits are sold after using available ones in ag first, and b) the owner of the ground capturing the carbon is rightly compensated for the work done to capture it.

And now, lo and behold, aren't we talking about our grass carbon capturing being underestimated. i.e. there's actually more there than we thought so we can sell more. Woohoo.

Someone is going to cream this and the farmer will be left to do the work and then be penalised for not doing it or not doing it right. It's amazing how people can make money out of literally the air and sell things from land they don't own.

Edit to add that this ban on burning green waste is another sham. You're not allowed manage trees now if they overhang. If a tree overhangs on a road, what do you do with the limbs now? Pay a fortune to someone to chip it or mulch it? Horse it into the ditch? And hedges will be savaged if this derogation is extended for a year so they can be managed more easily from then on. I know it's what I'll do if a derogation comes in for 2022.

it's the lack of coherent fight back from farmers that worries me. and all those who have a voice. we have alot of high profile people who are staying silent on the matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Someone needs to approach a lawyer and ask who owns the carbon credits. I can't see how it would legally be anyone other than the farmer. Isn't this the sort of thing a farmers federation should be doing?

2021 was a decent enough year for bog rewetting/restoration projects.

Hopefully the number keeps growing year-on-year for the next few years

Christian Holzleithner DG Climate Action EU Commission stated yesterday that the credits belong to the farmer.

Watch however how our processors will push for producers to allow these credits to be inset (as opposed to offset) within the processing system, to deliver a canbon neutral product at consumer level.

Given carbon credits are a tradeable commodity, that should be considered attempted theft and grounds for legal action, particulrly in light of the commissions position.

That was mentioned at a climate conference online recently in the UK.

Who the carbon credits belong to. It was mentioned that the processors will want those credits for the products on the supermarket shelves.

Then they should be made to pay for them like any other company that wants to do some greenwashing.

I agree. The trouble is if you trade them off. You're expecting some business if you don't sell direct to the consumer yourself to buy your product with no carbon rating.

All it takes is for the first farmer to give those credits away with their produce and the game is over before it even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A thousand times this.

It's the most important question in relation to farming, as long as we continue to say nothing about it, it will be taken for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Have no doubt, the farmer WILL receive something for the credits. Most likely linked to CAP. You'll get a few bob for farming in a certain way, or having a low stocking rate, or having trees sown, or hedge managing, etc. Loads of ways they'll give a few euro and it will be lapped up. Meanwhile, the carbon will be traded on your behalf by someone else and what they make vs. what you get will be miles apart.

The worst thing is the credits be sold outside of agriculture. Allowing the likes of fuel companies and airline etc to advertise galore about how they are good for the planet as they pass money between each other. All the while, the man on the ground doing the actual work gets nothing, and their industry won't ever get "clean" as the carbon work done by them will be sold off somewhere else.

TL;DR Ag will never be carbon neutral as the carbon will be traded away to other industries. Ag will then be expected to do more as we're the only industry that can, but for someone elses gain. Same as it ever was really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Should we organise a test case regards carbon credit ownership? They should be worth more than the subsidies we jump through hoops for.

Advertisement