Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sides are your brakes on??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am curious now what the standard in the US is; does it follow the assumption that the deciding factor seems to be the side of the road which is driven on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

2 cubes in the shed. Both left front brake.

Either is fine with me.

Not sure how people end up going head first off it though. Unless they're trying to skid to a stop on the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Damienmac

I've always wondered about this too. So the logic was to move the dangerous thing away from your good hand. That's nuts if true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

without doing rigorous experiments, the same pressure applied to the front brake and the rear brake create different levels of deceleration; so people are used to being able to pull on the rear brake harder than the front. so if they do that out of muscle memory, it's easier to come a cropper.

• Advertisement

quoting the relevant section:

Formerly, bicycles in the USA had their front brake on the right hand, as do motorcycles. A concerted effort by right handed safety advocates, moved the "dangerous" front brake to the left hand, where it could do less harm, and there it remains today.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Clearly they do. But pulling the break lever toward you while also pushing it to the side to drop gears just seems to be adding a level of awkwardness that doesn't need to be there - not in LHD countries anyway. I get why you would have the right/rear set up in RHD countries, i.e. for signalling but I think the left/rear set up is still the better option when you need to stop relatively quickly - otherwise you're stuck in a big gear.

Remember its the main lever that moves the derailleur up the cassette not the little paddle underneath. To add to the digital dexterity required, you are trying to pull and push this lever towards the bike at the same time. Again, I've never ridden this way before so perhaps it becomes instinct after a while - and a couple of very slow accelerations at the lights :)

you just think ahead. coming to stop at lights, you'd change gears to an lower gear before braking.

But why do that when you can do both at the same time ;)

Each to their own I guess, but a very interesting thread reading everyone's comments. I'm surprised there was such a split. I wonder if Ireland will go the way of the UK at some stage and try and regulate the set up?

least i think you do that. all muscle memory to me now; either that or i brake first and as i'm coming to a final stop i change at the last second when there's no pressure on the gears. you should be pedalling while changing gears anyway.

• Advertisement

I would normally start to slow the bike with the left lever/rear brake, start changing gears with the right lever at the same time, keep on slowly rotating the cranks until the gear change is complete, clip out and then bring the bike to a full stop with the right lever/front brake.

I've a bad feeling I'm going to be overthinking this on my next spin and end up on the ground! 😄

Edit - I should add that I would do the above when I would have to stop moderately quickly. With more warning I would initiate the gear change first, slow with the left and then coast in to a full stop. With little or no warning, it's slamming on the left lever a millisecond before the right and keeping my weight at the back of the bike - no gear change then!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭cletus

You seem to be overthinking it as it is.

I honestly couldn't walk anyone step by step through my stopping procedure. Muscle memory and feel.

easiest thing to do is learn how to wheelie properly so you don't worry about front wheel braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Maybe that's my issue.

If my brakes were the other way around I'd be a wheelie master!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭cletus

You should be good at the nose manual, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Two Canyons, one front left/rear right, one front right/rear left. Easy enough to differentiate. You'd notice very quickly while out on the bike which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭positron

All my bikes - many bikes in India, Boardman and Specialized here in Ireland - are all the same "left-rear, right-front" brake setup. Of course any motorcycle I have ever ridden is also the same way (left-clutch, right-front brake).

However I recently picked up a Trek hybrid and noticed that the brakes are the other way around. I will see if I can change it around but I am not too keen to keep it.

What we really need are linked braking systems - pull either lever and both front and back brakes evenly. It can't be that to design especially with hydraulic disc brakes?!

there are some occasions where you would not want to engage the front brake at all, i suspect. if i'm on a road surface i think might be slippery, i'd defintely want to try rear brake only first.

It’ll probably become more common as more bikes are from continental supply chains due to Brexit, but it’s trivial to swap them.

You should keep them the way you’re used to as there’s a lot of automatic response, muscle memory involved.

yep, i don't want it to be 'easy enough' to differentiate which braking system is set up on the bike - i want to know automatically, because reflexes will take over in an emergency which could make an emergency worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

Every bike I've ever raced or built up had right rear and left front. As others have said its more muscle memory than anything but to me, as i'm right hand dominant, if i want to grab a brake lever in a hurry i'd rather skid out than launch over the bars. Makes sense to me at least.

i would have assumed that the main concern there would be motor control than strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have 4 bikes…not sure which ones are rear left or right TBH. I put it down to me been left handed so I’m used to things being different for me. I tend to apply both brakes at the same time and go by feel, so it’s something I’ve never really thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Left - front , right - rear. 4 bikes all built the same (by me....)

Given that a right hand turn is the riskier here, having full braking on the left while being free to signal on the right makes sense to me. I try not to me changing gears while in complex manouvers, but if I have to, I can change down easily too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Why would you want even braking?

Weight distribution alone means the braking is different and if the ground was slippy you could lose traction on the front (and back) instead of just the safer back.

And if your jumping you lose fine control of your fore/aft rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Good God!

I thought left rear, right front was the only way to do it, like left hot, right cold for taps - anything else is sacrilege.

(Gear down when approaching traffic lights, what, what? I'd do that driving, when I used to drive; I've never done it on a bike.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭positron

Actually that's a good point. I think the linked braking in motorbikes works by distributing a percentage of the power to the other wheel. For instance, if you apply the front brake, some power is applied to the rear as well which will help stop the rear stepping out as well as reduce the nose dive perhaps - and if you are applying the back brake, some power to the front will help reduce the squat perhaps.. I am not sure.

I guess linked braking is probably a useful thing once you have ABS too - which is all very much non-pedal-bike territory. Anyway, I am plenty happy with the brakes that we have at the moment, it's the "getting going" where I lack the power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Weight transfer is just caused by slowing down; nothing to do with the brake used, & you're certainly not going to get 'squat' while braking.

Choosing how much front/rear to use is a matter of traction.

Advertisement