Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I said less as a portions of your incomes over the period of the mortgage.

Plus inflation likely increase the nominal value of the home over the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

All it will so is send prices higher. There is thousands have planning permissions granted in Dublin atm. But they can't build them all because of resources. All construction contractors are maxed out. Changing the 3.5 multiple won't change this. It will just send developers profits up.

Are people for real. Prices are rising at its fastest level and are approaching boom levels and you think the CB should do something to make them go higher?

We have a housing crises yet we have net immigration of 30k atm. The strengths of the economy and how much jobs it is creating is the real problem. If it was just adding enough jobs for are own natural population increase then 20k units would be enough. But the economy is creating too many jobs that is leading to Immigration.

From a political piont I am starting to think I will vote SF. People say their policy's will be bad for bussines and send multinationals out but is that not what we need right now to take pressure of housing? A party that will destroy job creation rather than create it. This is how desperate people feel about it. It annoys me when I hear companies on here giving out about how they can't get talent here..... well then go to a place where you can instead of importing people here to add to our housing crises.

You only need two things to survive in life. One is food and two is shelter. We are not even providing the basics for our people. I can see why a lot are shifting to SF out of desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Any money that's thrown at property now will only increase price. The only solution is to add supply. The age of cheap money may be coming to an end at least in the medium term. We have Runaway corporation taxes many feel the level of such taxes are temporary. The solutions are under our leaders noses all they have to do is sniff

27000 construction workers have applied for working visas to enter the country. The government have instigated an action plan to process these visas, while at the same time have deployed staff to trade fairs to sell housing to investors

Housing is their number 1 priority

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Agree changing the 3.5 rule will only make things worse, there is pure desperation out there and people arnt making good long term financial decisions.

The issue with SF is that they plan to massively increase spending and that will result in massive borrowing if our economy isn't growing and corporation taxes start to drop because they are not friendly to big business, sure it would reduce workers coming here but those workers are typically highly skilled paying lots of taxes and the Irish government has paid out nothing for their education, huge net benefit to us and we need to maintain it to avoid a pensions time bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

people are desperate, because its a desperate situation, security of accommodation is a critical human need, this is why people are making these decisions, its nothing to do with them making poor decisions.

state borrowing is the only way out of this, state debt does not need to make returns, it just needs to be serviced, baring in mind, governments have the ability to borrow long term, i.e. long term perpetual bonds etc. by not doing this, this forces us out into private sector credit markets, and credit is hard wired for returns, and a lot of that time, this is done at all costs, which tends to lead to credit fueled asset bubbles, and.......

...and makes no sense that corporation taxes will fall, yes its possible, but corporation profits are at an all time high globally.... we should also radically change the way we accept this form of revenue by part acceptance of stocks and shares, and utilize sovereign wealth funds from there, but thats another days work.....

....and doing everything possible to inflate the prices of those houses.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The Shinners or who ever is government next will have their hands tied , reports of a 2% rise in interest rates means that to service our debt we will have to pay out 5Billion a year alone if we hit 2%, cant see how houses will be built when other areas will be screaming for more money, you can bet your a$$ welfare recipients will be pointing at inflation and be asking for more and same goes for the public sector unions.. That could well be a further 3/4 billion added to the expenditure. I pity the next party in government as there are going to have to be some horrible decisions made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

We're the third most indebted country in the world per capita. The government needs money to stave off bankruptcy.

if theres a 2% rise, there will more than likely be multiple recessions across europe, the ecb knows this.....

again, public borrowing is the only way out of this, if there is a 2% rise, private debt will more than likely be the main cause of concern....

again, we must embrace public debt, as the over reliance on private debt/credit has failed.....

once again, borrowing increases the money supply, when a government runs a deficit, this becomes a surplus in the private domain, as this money is spent into the economy, pup etc....

once again, we must embrace public borrowing/debt, its the only way out of this, and its not as dangerous as we think......

Family home is protected under Irish law people have a right of residence so cant see repossessions in any great number there may be a few buy to lets hit. When are we going to stop borrowing we cant continue in the current manner, we are already hugely in debt and with interest rising it means more and more will be taken from the day to day spending and spent on servicing the debt. We have embraced public debt any more on top will turn the embrace into a strangle hold. Get the popcorn, the next 5 - 10 years is going to be bumpy I will give you 10/1 that PS unions this year will be in asking for massive pay rises to cover inflation , which has knock on effects for their pensions that we have to pay. Then the dole heads will be looking for their payrise and once again it will be left to the middle and high earners to pick up the tab and of course that will role into generations so your kids and grandkids will be left paying for the sins of their ancestors. I can also see a lot of the high earners who can remote work leaving. We really could be in some serious trouble in 5 - 10 years time if the shinners (or who ever else is in power) act the b0ll0x and borrow like there is no tomorrow. The debt has to be paid back with interest and that is rising we were able to borrow at close to 0% for the pandemic that will all change and when our debt rolls over we will be hemorrhaging money

Many believe corporations have brought forward profits in light of new taxation regime so taxes at current levels are highly unlikely

If we built houses for workers with rents tied to wage inflation in key industrial areas with 0% finance plus ballooning corpo taxes, the State would make a tidy profit which could be reinvested to build more stock.

The state, worker and employer would all benefit from such a scheme. The extra supply would cool price inflation. Workers paying affordable rents could save to buy their own should they wish. The economy stays competitive benefitting employers and the state. Workers have more cash benefitting the local economy

Win win win all round

• Advertisement

once again, it is in fact our over reliance on private debt/credit in order run our economies, that has brought us to this point, baring in mind, all money begins its life as debt, so if we dont continue to borrow publicly, this critical need falls back towards private debt/credit, this approach has run its course, its no longer providing us with our needs as it is just leading to credit fueled asset bubbles, as credit is hard wired for maximising returns, at all costs.....

once again, increasing the income of those in the public and private domains actually makes sense, including those on welfare, as a significant amount of this money is spent into the economy, i.e. this money moves from the public books into the private domain, increasing the velocity of the money supply, keeping businesses open, and creating jobs.....

yes, if we maintain the status quo of attempting to balancing the books, this will more than likely lead to the middle being squeezed further, solution, dont balance the books, theres no need to, in fact its actually dangerous to, by running a perpetual deficit, this reduces our reliance on the private sector money supply, i.e the credit supply....

Ok well under your model why not let all employees away with paying tax, more cash in every ones pocket , so the local ecconomy benefits ??? .. It doesnt really work like that unfortunately. I believe rents are now tied into inflation any new rent rises cant be more than inflation? So where do we get the financing for building these houses at 0% ?? Corporation taxes are under serious threat now that the harmonization has started, we need to learn that ramping up spend on a tax that could be taken away at any time is a disaster waiting to happen as could be seen in 08 when our spend more than doubled in the years preceding the 08 crash on the basis of stamp duty that was seen as the magic money tree that would grow forever.

We cannot keep borrowing on the never never the bill will have to be paid at some stage and some people think the magic money tree will be there forever and basing this on the borrowing during covid which was a once off global event. It wont and when interest rates rise we will be struggling to pay the interest alone. If we had no debt to service maybe your theory would be one that could work but under the current constraints it is not and there will be a lot of other areas looking for some relief or some money to be pumped in. In my opinion the public sector and welfare should not be getting any more cash before the USC is taken away from workers. The public sector cuts from after 08 have been more or less reversed where is the reversal of this "so called temporary tax"

So just to throw it out there I see the following areas looking for cash or for the burden placed on them to be cut due to rising costs of day to day living.

Tax payers

OAP

PS workers (knock on effect to their pensions)

Welfare recipients

infrastructure (roads, education, health, emergency services, etc)

Housing/homelessness

Employers

A.N.Other (farmers, fishermen, etc)

If you give it out in one of the areas above it will be to the detriment of the rest we can not continue to borrow at the rates seen during the pandemic what you and others are looking for would push our interest repayments to unmanageable levels. Do we keep borrowing and wait for the IMF to come in again?

We also have serious threats to corpo taxes and our high earners the state could lose billions from both of these sector over the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Public debt will only further fuel inflation!

The state borrowing and spending more will only make matters worse. The Irish government would do well to start cutting its cloth in anticipation of rates rises, because it has to happen soon. Borrowing more will leave us even more exposed when rates go up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Running a perpetual deficit sounds grand in theory except for one factor. All debt is someone else’s investment and as a result you need investors to buy your debt. As your debt increases the risk of default increases and investors need a higher rate to compensate for this risk. The central bank could step in and act as the investor to buy the government debt (i.e. QE) but if this is used in fiscal spending as you suggest all this leads to is inflation and devalued currency.

My proposal is about spending taxes more wisely. Massive shift I understand

Rents were limited to 4% for the last number of years, that did not work

We are absolute masters at fiddling the books for profit, maybe we could use this skill to solve housing. Borrowing to build carbon neutral housing close to employment centres has a double environmental impact in heating and commuting. Europe is very keen to fund projects with green credentials

If taxes are one off the best way to spend them is on capital projects that deliver returns well over the cost of capital. Housing for workers is the obvious low hanging fruit

Well as I outlined in my post above , I dare anyone to tell the other vested interest groups outlined that spending will be targetted on housing and your needs are just not going to be catered for unfortunately there are other needs that also need addressing. Also you need to take into account that most if not all of the other groups I outlined have a higher demographic and that means that if governments want votes they will pander to them this is how it has been since politics began. We cannot afford it.

In affect what you are suggesting is large scale social housing under a build to rent model.

For rents to be truly affordable you need to control/reduce the construction costs or subsidies the rent to keep it affordable. If you are subsidies the rent the big difference is that the rent is going back into the social housing scheme as opposed to going to some private investor like what is happening under HAP.

I'd call it an alternative to the private rental market. Focus it on workers so that your guaranteed an income stream. We know that injecting investment at the top does not result trickle down, put it in the middle, different story for everyone

Logic makes sense

two problems that I see:

1) you would be restrained by the EU fiscal rules as the debt would be government debt. If this could be structured in some housing body and kept off the governments book it should work

2) People will complain that their taxes are being used to provide housing and they had no help with their housing

(I.e. people will complain about HAP because people get help to get a roof over their head. If you got rid of HAP and replaced with social housing people complain that people are getting free houses)

• Advertisement

Moral hazard in spades. its like 2 people trying to climb out of a hole the lad on the bottom says I am going to climb over you and stand on you head to get out and even do you were further ahead and wont be able to reach the top once I get out its ok as I got out and you should be happy for that fact even do I am leaving you behind in the hole. Villa thanks but no thanks I pay enough in taxes for an already p1ss poor service I get in return , guaranteeing everyone a house is not going to work, how do you sort it out, which workers do you prioritize and to what areas in the country the most obvious area is Dublin and the other major cities So the biggest flaw I see within your investment strategy is why should people pay more in taxes and who have coughed up hundreds of thousands for a house in the burbs or surrounding areas of Dublin (or any other major city) pay for this when they could not afford to buy in these areas when they were buying.

You must remember you are already paying for it in the form of HAP. Only difference is money doesn’t leave the country to pay investors and instead can be reinvested

But people on HAP do not own the property. This poster I believe is looking to subsidise the buying of property for a certain cohort of workers who match a certain criteria

No I think he is saying they could rent at affordable level.

1 as we have learned from this thread, Housing is an issue throughout the EU

Worries are growing about anti EU sentiment. EU economies are struggling 0 rates and QE are not really working, rather leading to asset price bubbles. Affordable housing with significant potential to be revenue positive would be a significant win for the EU bloc as a whole. Think of the competitive advantage over othe countries. Germany has done quiet well in no small part due to stable housing costs

If rents are linked to wages they are an excellent inflation hedge and attract investors seeking consistent reliable income. Our current system attracts investors that sweat the asset, pump its value and offload when signs of a crash are on the horizon. There is significant scope for the whole system to be privately funded once proven.

2 We never had rents at current levels so it would be hard to not make a profit, maybe it could help fund those peoples pensions

We are existing on the forebearance of Germany and fiscally prudent countries.

We had a young population that had much less risk than other EU countries and yet spent the most on covid19.

These are the rules.

I'd be inclined to think a strategic default on 50% of our debt would be the best option, especially while our economy is doing okay. Soon Pfizer etc will not have the same revenue from covid19 and our corporation tax starts to decline. If German's say no more to Ireland we're in a very awkward position.

Anyway, back to housing.

Any thoughts on this:

€600k for an acre. My wife is interested. It seems a lot to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

1A Alma Road, Monkstown, Dublin - Hunters Estate Agent - 4566720 - MyHome.ie Residential

Cool location and all, but that is a sliver of a site in someone's garden (have a look on google maps overhead) and the house is €2.3m. Mind boggling price.

Immigration is a hot potato nobody wants to discuss but better discussed than left to fester. Should we be closing the gates for a while? Maybe. It's s very different country to when I grew and people were all trying to get out, now it's actually attractive. Maybe the numbers allowed in outside EU should be reduced until the housing crisis levels out?

It's a tough but definitely should be discussed as does affect people looking to get on the ladder. But crashing the economy also would not be good....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Am quite concerned about what’s happening now.

It is Celtic Tiger stuff already in the industry, massive amount of development happening and no one can get staff. Inflation is at its worst in many years.

There’s a type of mania again, overproduction is going to happen in the next five years, as sure as night follows day.

There is undoubtedly a boom underway, which will meet demand at some point. But it could happen suddenly, if net immigration were to slow significantly it’d be a painful shock.

The end is almost certainly a couple of years off, but it could be all the more painful.

• Advertisement

If the EU was to change its rules it would require a new Treaty.

Rents are more or less linked to wages at the moment in RPZ where the only increase allowed is the lower of 2% or CPI. Linking rents to wages is no different as wages should increase in line with CPI.

The private funded model you talk about is the model that is in place today. The vast majority of these investors have invested for a consistent reliable income and hence why pension funds own so much property in Dublin

Advertisement