Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For the CMO this is very upbeat stuff and we have moved out of the pandemic phase so the need for such measures should go as well. It is only the 2nd February and we'll look even better in four weeks but I'd be surprised if there were any announced changes on the last bits until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

To me it sounds like the CMO is laying the groundwork for keeping these measures long-term without justification. The science shows us that Omicron is dominant, does not usually translate to severe illness, and puts little additional strain on the health service. Despite these facts, our experts are insisting on maintaining restrictive measures. What’s worse the measures they want to continue seem to have little effect against the spread of the virus (mask mandate in place but we had 10s of thousand of detected cases per day…).

I really hope you’re right and that all of the remaining measures are lifted soon but I find it really difficult to trust our experts when they don’t seem to be following the science.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I just follow the trend elsewhere

Like if the mask mandates are lifted every where else they will have to lift them here

Don't have much faith in holohan to be proactive , he seems to be ultra conservative in his approach

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

I have read the RSV another respiratory virus in children is rampant at the moment. I cant see them telling us this restriction is for a non covid illness..but apparently children are getting sick from it, and are ending up in hospital too.

I personally dont think the masks work to the effect they were sold to us, but reading an article the other day and weakened immune systems in children due to less exposure/lockdowns/pods etc, means we now have an increase in RSV in children. RSV is more dangerous to children than covid.

However, same concerns for elderly/vunerable etc to catch RSV are there. the issue really is.. do we accept the masks/ windows open etc to reduce the possible spread of this RSV, because, they cant in reality tell us its not for Covid, but for something else?

Or is it they want to keep up with the covid theatre, I am in no way pro-tony, but this is the only explanation that I can see..

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

I'd put it in the we're not there yet category of CMO-speak. We're at a strange point where for now he says we may need them but next week he could say we are advising off with the masks. NPHET will need an extremely compelling justification for general mask wearing past February, especially as they have stated we are now looking at a very different phase. I also think they will come under a lot more pressure politically if we are the only ones in the EU with masks in March, perhaps even to the point where the government will move without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

If it isn’t about the teachers then what is it about? Oh and I have posted in this thread far more than you, whoever you are.

Same question to you, if it’s not about the teachers what is it about?

^ you think the teachers want the windows open ?

My last reply to this ..

I think the teachers only care about themselves. I bet the teachers in the schools where the kids aren’t allowed to wear jackets are wearing jackets. Are you a teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Whats the story with the co2 monitors in classrooms? , has co2 gotten anything to do with covid??

All the schools have these now and unless the windows are open it seems these monitors go red. Never had them when i was a kid and nobody seemed to suffer but are our kids going to have to shiver every winter foreveer now because of these devices? Talk about the cure being worse than the disease.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What? We didnt lockdown because of 1918. And there have been many pandemics since 1918.

Pandemic plans have existed prior to covid, no they did not involve lockdowns etc because there was no scientific basis for that. The problem was that after seeing China lockdown (as authoritarian states do), hysterical people over here were demanding that their governments lockdown. The existing pandemic plans were thrown out the window almost everywhere except for a select few (Sweden mostly followed their original plan), while the rest dropped everything in favour of Chinese-style totalitarianism.

The scenes in Italy and then the media getting stuck in

There wasn't much chance for rational thought and debate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Panic is always maladaptive. Yet most people 'stand by' their irrational decisions and predictions from that time. There is little repentance or reconsideration.

We kind of used 1918 as the template for a global pandemic but I agree it was mostly countries just copying each other. Our pandemic plan IIRC was at least a decade old and largely cut and pasted from an older Australian document, Italy's was well over 20 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭foxsake

you'll hear fcuk all about The Johns Hopkins Institute on claire byrne or whatever RTE sh1tehawk program is banging the covid misery drum .

Matt Cooper will probably mention in an effort to dismiss it as far right misinformation or russia.

where do we get this idiots in the media from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"Whats the story with the co2 monitors in classrooms? , has co2 gotten anything to do with covid??"

Show if air exchange is sufficeint or not, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

For a country that wanted to lead the world in treating Covid as an endemic flu and "learning to live with it" - this is a regressive step backwards.

And it was very sneaky, they lumped the bill in with a vote to increase pensions due to inflation, so of course no one would go against it.

In other news, I see the media are trying to fear monger over BA2 new variant, seems it's not more severe, but god , people really want this to go on and on and on don't they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2022/0202/1277247-coronavirus-politics/

NPHET latest advice, in a change from the norm I can see wide public support but not much support from govt

Dr Holohan said that he felt that the strengthening of public health systems is an area in need of improvement, not just in Ireland but around the world

The original source of that story suggests it will be a matter of weeks and at the discretion of the Minister so they are now much same as us. It also seems that it's also down to the decisions of regional governments.

From El Pais feed about 2 hours ago (Google Translate))

After the decrease in the transmission of COVID that has been registered for more than a week, several communities believe that it is time to end this obligation, such as Madrid, Catalonia, Castilla-La Mancha, Castilla y León and Galicia

Post edited by is_that_so on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Weird flex. "I've posted more than you so your opinion doesn't count"...?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

He suggested I was a troll. I’ve never seen him in here before. Who’s the troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Already the first signs Feb 9th will be glossed over from a CMO point of view.

I really want to see the next news they'll release in the days before Feb 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Did they really leaf the world in considering it endemic flu? I think that award goes to the United States

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

This BA2 apparently was discovered a week after Omricon was discovered, there is also a BA3- South Africa called this out in November and December

Is the media gonna start this shi*te fear mongering again.. god its so frustrating

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

Does anyone know for sure what the mask requirement is now in hospitality? I thought it was no longer required in pubs, restaurants, cafes, etc. but was asked to wear one in the queue for a coffee today. When I said I thought that rule had been lifted I was told that masks still apply. I’ve looked at different newspapers that all give conflicting reports (e.g. not required in hospitality, not required in pubs, all places where masks have been required remain the same, etc.)

What exactly is legally binding at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Hospitality can have a dress code as far as i know, so they can ask you to wear a mask.

But the government are not asking customers in hospitality to wear masks. Just the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not legally required - it's a local shop policy by the sound of it or they're confused themselves!

Personally I would just say "you're grand thanks" and take my business elsewhere than indulge continued and unwarranted scaremongering

Thanks. That was my understanding too but then I wasn’t sure. Your man genuinely thought it’s still required by law (not a shop policy). I will go elsewhere if asked to wear one in the future though as I can’t stand masks and desperately don’t want to support restrictions that aren’t mandated by law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd be the same.. can't stand the damn things - some people may be fine with them and that's fine too, but I find them incredibly uncomfortable, unnatural and generally use one of the plastic shields when I'm doing the weekly shopping. I also remain wholly unconvinced as to the value of them given how most treat them and wear them, but again - each to their own.

If the legislation isn't updated on the 9th (which is unlikely of course - it'll probably be extended no doubt) then I won't be wearing them at all.

Advertisement