Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Court Describes Traveller Community as “Vulnerable Minority”

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think that's really really sad. I really do. Honestly I just don't know what the answer is. I have sympathy for both parties there.

From what I have heard Councils are refusing funds because although the funds provided may go most of the way to provision the infrastructure there is no ongoing funding commitment from central government to maintain the infrastructure and upkeep would then have to be done with budget taken at the expense of other clients of the Council.

I do not know if it is true but it seems plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pretty much all of that is factual incorrect.

In a very brief summary.

The family were provided with a purposely built site with 6 houses. 2 of them which farcically cost 1.7 million to build.

They all burned down or were destroyed in some fashion.

Mr. McDonagh then asked the County Council to buy him a house in Cork because he wasn't going on the waiting list or instead buy him out of the site. This was refused.

They were then moved into private rented accommodation for 5 years but had to leave that because it required renovation. They then bought caravans and mobile homes and setup a dwelling with the rest of the family near the initial site.

They were then offered several other choices, all turned down.

The site of the 6 burnt houses was then repurposed for 40 social houses, they were offered one of these brand new houses, turned down.

Now remember the councils remit is "need not want".

They need shelter, housing, which they were offered several options, what they want is 6 brand new houses for them and their 5 adult children built on the same site.

I have no interest in general traveler bashing and am only basing my opinion on the merits and facts of this particular case, I'm sure the Council erred in some way, incompetence is par for the course, but to suggest they are completely at fault is just false.

Add to all that the background of feuding, armed police, machete attacks, arson, etc. It's a complete mess.

40 social houses built in the space required to house one extended family. Can that be true?

• Advertisement

Initial instinctive response when faced with facts like that is to hell with their "Cultural" or "Ethnic" sensibilities and divert all money earmarked for provision of traveller accommodation to the building of social housing accessible to all including those who identify as members of the Travelling Community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"Contributing to Society has no value anymore. No logic, no common sense in modern Political Correctness I afraid. It is terrifying that we slowly got into such mess, tricked by politicians and media. Vicious, depraved and destructive powers are glorified and popularized while any criticism is banished and penalised. And to be clear - I'm not talking about someone specific here in case of racism accusation."

Is that what REAL Democracy does mean? Like having half of society (hypothetically) being a criminals, if they have a right to vote, the real Democracy will allow them to take control over rest of the Society?

Apologies for aswering my own post but for some reason I cant make it editable on this computer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Because they are legally entitled to. And what you know about what would be tolerated in other countries could be written on the back of a a match box.

Advertisement