Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooter with no logbook,keys or reg plate

Options
  • 02-02-2022 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Anyone know if a bike can be registered if has no logbook,keys and number plate. Bike not stolen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know if it was ever registered in Ireland? Is the bike a proper road spec bike with lights and spacing for number plate on rear?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

It’s actually in N Ireland. It’s a proper road spec bike with space for rear number plate, so I am guessing it was once registered.

Can registration be done by having only the VIN?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know who the bike may have been originally registered to? I don't think an approach can be made here to register a vehicle that you don't have the logbook for seeing as it's still registered in another country. The best route would be to obtain the UK logbook for it and then tranfer it here with VRT payment to put on Irish plates.

Here's the process to get a UK logbook. I'd ring DVLA and ask them what happens if your can't get in touch with current registered owner, they may have some process via a solicitor to make a declaration. It sounds like it will be a lot of trouble to be honest unless you can establish the current owner listed on the logbook.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is the VIN visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭lipso

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Good. That's a positive.

To avoid VAT and import duty you'll have to get proof of it's NI identity I'd have thought. VRT is probably still payable.

How did you get it without keys, logbook and keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If it's something like an Enduro bike, you're in for world of pain. Unless it's got an NI registration already, I wouldn't even bother.

First off, if it has nothing at all, and you prove bona fies/provenance, then you will then have to stump up: VRT and VAT.

Next, and this is a doozy: you will need to provide a EWVTA Cert: Type Approval Cert. And, as it's a first registration, it will be considered 'new' and so comply with EU3 regs (or is it EU4, I forget...). If its old, it's unlikely that that certification exists. If it does, and say it's a Honda, a copy of that Cert will cost you €175 from Honda.

Next, for VRT it will have to have an odometer. Not just a speedometer, to show its mileage. Under 6k kms and it's VAT-time. Reg'd as-new: VAT-time.

It'd want to be something fantastic to even attempt it. Plenty have failed. I've btdt, with a GasGas Pampera 250, so it's not my first rodeo...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement