Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Would assume that as they've dropped their plans to get a full Irish Banking Licence and are using the Lithuanian Bank Licence they have, the IBANs will be Lithuanian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I'm also under the impression that they will migrate the Lithuanian bank licence to Ireland same as they have recently done in other markets. This means deposits are protected and bank ia regulated by the Central bank of Lithuania. It means no Irish IBAN. Lithuanian IBAN, as before, just a different licence (more protected funds).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

"Additionally, until now, Revolut has operated in Ireland under an e-money licence from Lithuania (previously a British licence before Brexit). This means customers have a Lithuanian Iban.

Despite being illegal under SEPA, customers can sometimes have problems getting paid or paying bills from their account as the non-Irish Iban is sometimes not recognised. However it’s still possible for Revolut to offer an Irish Iban while operating here under its Lithuanian banking licence and it says it has plans to offer this."

https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/banking/revolut-to-start-offering-loans-and-credit-cards/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads. It's a way off given the regulator is only allowing a meeting with Revolut in Q3 and only after that can they even apply for a license. Seems all that recruiting (and theres been a LOT) in the CBI and they still don't have anyone to look at it in a timely manner.

Cynic in me would say it's protecting the old lads in the leagcy banks from a bloodbath.

And...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/was-revolut-s-e-money-decision-prompted-by-an-unfriendly-environment-1.4791044?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Ffinancial-services%2Fwas-revolut-s-e-money-decision-prompted-by-an-unfriendly-environment-1.4791044

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

Don't think you need a banking licence in Ireland to use Irish IBANs, it's just a routing code I think.

• Advertisement

It already has an eMoney license in Ireland, but has chosen not to use it. It hasn't applied for a full banking license here, as it already has an ECB one.

It's other fintechs in the application process that the Irish Central Bank won't meet until Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

In the context of the Revolut Hype's machine announcement that they are going to offer banking and lending services "soon" my answer about Irish IBAN is correct. The migration will be done in line with the same process that has been done in multiple other European countries and you get a separate LT IBAN to make you a BANK customer.

If they want to also offer an Irish IBAN than they will need to start a separate process that is not linked to the current move of the Irish customer base to their LT bank license.

And while I understand their PR guy has dangled that in front of customers to drum up more PR, the reality is that it's not that easy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks, its still very anti competitive behaviour IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I already have an LT IBAN with them. I have it for about a year now.

Yes, you have an IBAN from Revolut e-money which you are using for payment services.

Once you move to Revolut Bank you get another IBAN number which is to ensure that your funds are covered under the respective money protection regulations.

It's a little complicated for existing customers you get an additional IBAN and revolut is moving virtually funds from that e-money account into a demand account that is protected. No changes to the way you spend money and you continue to use the IBAN you already have for transfers, but you will get a new IBAN from Revolut Bank.

See this helpfull note from Revolut:

Will my account change in any way when I join the Bank?

When you join Revolut Bank UAB, you’ll have a Demand Deposit account which works seamlessly alongside your e-money account with Revolut Payments UAB (the one you're using now).

The functionality of your e-money account stays the same, and your money is automatically transferred and stored in your Demand Deposit account with Revolut Bank. When you store your money with Revolut Bank UAB, your deposit is protected by deposit insurance. Please read the Demand Deposit Information for more details.

Even after you join Revolut Bank UAB, you will continue to use your e-money account with Revolut Payments UAB for transfers, so there are no changes to your IBAN details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Sorry for hijacking the discussion but can anyone answer me this, I want to buy a car in Northern Ireland balance owed is 16k.. If I add euros and buy the sterling will there be a block on the account where they ask for extra I.D and reasons for large transaction? Anyone know what to expect? TIA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Are you saying that you are going to add 16k and then shortly there after make the payment or do you already have most of the cash already there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Most systems are down

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There's really no way to know, their systems are constantly monitoring accounts for suspicious and certain anti-money laundering behaviour. They're regulated to collect information from you to satisfy these regulations.

Just do the AML requirements and be done with it, unless you've stuff to hide/have an out of date passport.

Speaking as someone who bought a car through Revolut, upgrade to the premium plan for free FX exchange, the free plan is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

When I was getting my house deposit together I was transfering €5,000 (daily limit from EBS) for a number of days and also Stirling savings from my time in UK. A message came up saying they wanted proof of where the funds came from. I sent through a few wage slips and an EBS bank statement, all sorted within the hour. I don't think they did a deep evaluation it was sorted in about half an hour and in total I was moving probably close to €100k. I'd say for €15k you are unlikely to get questioned... Worst case show bank statement and wage slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Is revolut acting the prick for anyone else today ?? Not adding money & not showing balance when it eventually decides to add money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ya they eventually sent me a notice, always the same with them good job I have a normal a/c to pay bills

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

But when you point out this out, some of their more evangelical users on here suggest you’re over reacting and Revolut is perfectly capable of running as a stand alone account…

• Advertisement

🤣🤣🤣🤣 never as a stand alone a/c always have too many issues with it.& only limited amount of ways u can contact customer service then.

If you use an e-money account as your primary banking solution you don't deserve better in my opinion.

I like revolut for some of the features (one-time card numbers, incoming $ payments etc.) but in no way can this serve as a current account replacement.

Even once they transfer me to the Bank license, there is just too many issues with the platforms they are using, even now that they made great progress to move most elements inhouse (rather than the original app just covering for loads of different providers and services) it's still not completely there.

My main bank in Germany finally has ditched the Giro card (local card solution) is issuing Visa Debit cards with no foreign exchange fee, so my Revolut usage is down to the occasional $ incoming and the one-time cards. Once I find a good provider for the one-time cards I will ditch Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I’ve used it to accept Sterling, as a travel card, sending and receiving small amounts with friends, virtual cards etc and the junior card is very handy for our little one. If you can use it to your advantage, great

But I think some people online showed immediate loyalty to it and believe the company could do no wrong. Baffling really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Meh, none of the banks are to be relied on when it comes to online banking. I'd have been fecked the other day without Revolut when PTSB went down "again" and I have to rely on PTSB when Revolut goes down. Anyone who rely solely on one bank for their online needs is going to be left swinging in the breeze at some stage.

There is a change in the T&C that is important:

If your account has been temporarily restricted, we may not be able to close your account until we have completed our enquiries.

This gives them legal basis to keep the money in the account until such time you have complied with whatever inquiry they have about your account, be it a real KYC requirement or some other inquiry.

Only once you have provided whatever they want they will restore the account and you can close your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just a heads up to a potential scam

I had a small transaction 3 weeks ago which reverted on my account. Thought it might have been The kids on Google play but thought no more of it.

Tonight I had a card verification transaction and since I didn't make it and the kids didn't so I froze the card and got onto revolut chat

Suddenly got a text to say someone from revolut would call me to verify a 3700 euro transaction and then the call came.

It showed as revolut and was there number but as the card was frozen and I don't accept strange calls I said I was chatting with revolut support.

Caller kept insisting I could Google the number and it was indeed revolut. He hung up. It was an English accent

I checked in chat and it was an automated number for people to call to cancel cards and no calls come from it.

Was told to cancel the card, reset password and my email password and then revolut secured my account.

It could have gone down very differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so have Revolut started offering saving accounts? if so what's the % rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Im having issues adding money to my account, looking to get 20k into revolut and its failing saying im top up amount too hight and I may have exceeded limit on card, I enquired with Bank of Ireland who said there is no limits on my card.

I've only been able to deposit 5k so far now its failure trying anything else, has anyone a solution for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How are you transferring it, via the BOI card? You should use SEPA instead between the two accounts if you are transferring that amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I'm not sure but I think I read transfer 5k at a time works.

Advertisement