Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

So sorry to hear that D n G. How undercutting and a horrible way to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

@D n G i thought I’ve heard and seen the worst here but your experience is unbelievable. That is an acceptable behaviour of the vendor and their solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

That is absolutely horrific. I'm so sorry. I think there is only recourse if both parties have signed the contracts, unless I'm mistaken? The system (if you can even call it that) is just not set up to protect the buyer at all is it.

This will be of no comfort given all that you have put in to it, but I often said 'well at least the b*astards won't be getting MY money' after a deal had gone wrong for us.

So sorry again. That is one of the worst stories I've heard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That is absolutely gutting for you and your OH, I'm so sorry. What horrible behaviour from the vendors too 😡

• Advertisement

That is shocking. I am so sorry. I know that gazumping happens, but have not heard of it as blatant as that. We need a system like in Scotland where the vendors estate agents and solicitors are tied or the same company.

Once the solicitor acting for a seller has accepted an offer on behalf of their client, they are not allowed to accept a subsequent offer from another party. If a later offer comes in and the seller wants to accept it, the seller’s solicitor has to withdraw from acting on their behalf and the seller will need to find someone else to carry out the legal work on their sale. And while they could do that, it would come with extra costs and delays and would be impractical if the solicitor is also working on a concurrent property purchase

Seems like a much better system for both parties and the market generally

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah that's absolute arsehole behavior of the highest order. I'm very surprised at the solicitor - if I was you I'd be making it my mission to get the story around and name and shame the vendors solicitor for their lack of professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 demr

The market is so dysfunctional at the moment but what has happened to you is horrific. I hope that you didn't waste too much of your time from going sale agreed to this point. The money is a hit but the emotional impact can be worse. Best advice I could give is to stay on good terms with the estate agent. The estate agent might have your back for another sale or let you know of an off market sale having seen what you've gone through. Another thing, if you have your letter of offer from the bank that will serve as a replacement for you AIP (assuming you are getting a mortgage) up until the date the letter of offer expires (I lost out on a house with my AIP due to run out but had almost 5 more months on the letter of offer and so could continue to make bids when I eventually went back to looking). Take some time and get back on the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Persistently_Curious

Oh my goodness that's horrendous. I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

Thanks folks. We're out almost a grand between the building survey and a boundary survey we got done. Plus we'll owe our solicitor a bit now. We looked long and hard as we're looking for a bungalow with decent floor space as my other half will need to buy a wheelchair soon. This one ticked all the boxes, big bedroom, wide hallways/doors, large kitchen etc. What we need is hard to get at a price we can afford.

When greed comes in all integrity seems to go out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Best strategy for bidding? Match the current bid? go up in 1k increments, 2k increments?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

There isn't really any "best", but I'd say take into account what the bidding is at versus the asking price. For example the apartment I bought was on the market for 120k last year, but the only bid in before mine was 100k. I offered 105k so they'd know I was serious. Next person upped the bid by 2k, then I did the same etc. If the current bid is a good bit under your budget then I'd say maybe offer 2k higher than the current bid, but if you're close to your maximum then go with 1k increase. If you're a cash buyer then you could offer to match the current bid but mention you're a cash buyer as those sales are normally faster than sales involving a mortgage and/or a chain and could be more appealing to the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Is it cheaper to pay Mortgage Protection insurance monthly instead of annually?

My broker told me this but shouldn't it be the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

You have no contract until both parties sign and return the contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Solicitors usually dont charge when the sale falls through if you say you'll use them for the next house. Unless they've done lots of time consuming work.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭D n G

when I was bidding last year I just immediately went to the next round 5k. And did it fast to give the impression that I didn’t have a limit and money was no object. If someone went to xx6 I would bid another 4. If someone went to xx9 I would bid another 1. I must have done that 6 or 7 times and did it immediately when received the call from the agent. The other parties might take 24 / 48 hours but I upped it immediately. Worked for me. Don’t know if if would work for anyone else…..was just my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dubal

We were charged the absolute minimum, but they did pass on costs incurred. We lost engineer, survey money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Advertised my apartment today in a fairly high demand area. EA got an offer within 2 hours of 5k under asking. Is it normal in the current climate that people are bidding immediately without even viewing the property!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Could be an investor if its an apartment. But the bid would likely be subject to viewing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

if a buyer pulls out for no good reason can they be chased for the sellers expenses? Their solicitor requested a surveyors report which cost €500 and also for legal expenses incurred by the seller,

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Thought I would post an update to my own situation.

We finally got our keys! Never thought the day would come. We were 6 months between going sale agreed and closing. The delay was on the seller's side, they were resolving a dispute with the council.

The last week or so before close was very frustrating. It was hard to tell what had actually happened and what needed to happen - had our solicitor actually drawn down, had the vendors signed and sent final documents, etc. The close date was moved out by a week because the vendor's solicitor wasn't ready. However, I knew that these issues are common, so tried not to completely lose my mind.

I want to thank all the regular posters on this thread and forum. We started our search over two years ago and I've been following this forum for three years. The advice and anecdotal stories have been really useful. It has also been great to see some regular posters get to their purchase. It was good to see that it's still possible for some people, even with the state of the market.

Observations:

Bank:

• We went with BOI and they were great all along the process. We bank with them so they had access to our accounts and histories, which meant less printouts and paperwork to give them. They released the funding on time and were very responsive.
    • We were first approved (AIP) in July 2020. Due to the property crisis we ended up needing extension after extension to the approval - every 6 months we needed an updated salary cert and bank statements from accounts held outside the bank (proof that we continue to have repayment capacity) and that was all.
    • They were pretty tight on exemptions in early 2021, but offered us one in late 2021 - at that stage we didn't need it. If they don't fulfil the exemptions quota it seems they will release some later in the year.
    • They also offered a top up on the mortgage to help get works completed on the house. We went with this as it was a much cheaper interest rate (bundled with the mortgage) than if we were to take a personal loan to get the cash. The plan is to save up and pay off that piece from the principal loan as soon as possible.
    • Overall they made the experience really easy (if you can say that, with all the paperwork that's needed!) so we were pleasantly surprised.

Solicitors:

There are great solicitors and there are appalling solicitors. The vendor's solicitor was working for a major firm and behaved terribly (rude, lazy, etc). The big firm branding may mean nothing. Try to get recommendations for solicitors, small local firms may give you better service and be better communicators. They may also give you a better price on fees.

Vendors:

• Vendors have all the power in the market at the moment, and some of them will take advantage because they know it.
    • We were sale agreed, signing contracts etc and discovered they had actually made significant damage to the house we were buying after we had gone sale agreed. They wouldn't negotiate at all on the price then to compensate, even though the changes they made would mean between a 5-10k fix for us. We were told we could 'take it or leave it', because every month that we were sale agreed, they could have been getting even more from a new buyer.
    • In the end of it all, knowing the way the market is, and the fact that we loved the location, we decided to go for it anyway. We don't regret the decision now, but that's because we knew this could be a house for life.

Surveyors:

Our surveyor was recommended by a friend who works in property, and also was recommended by the bank. They were very reasonable despite being a well known Dublin based firm (we assumed they would be pricey). They threw in a few extra pieces pro bono and were very responsive by email. We were delighted with their service. If anyone needs a recommendation, feel free to DM me.

Agents:

We had some heartbreaks before we found this house. In one instance, we were bidding on a house that was up for sale with a well known local-type agent in South Dublin. All the mind games in the world were used on us to try to get us to bid higher, mixed stories coming about the house, and why it had fallen through so many times, etc. After that we really hoped we would never have to deal with that agent again - thankfully, we didn't. The house we bought was being sold by a bigger, well known firm, and they were a lot more professional and actually friendlier. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them again either.

General Advice:

• Having all your ducks in a row before applying for the mortgage really helps. Generally you need to be able to show that you have the repayment capacity for the mortgage, plus a bit extra to allow for interest rate changes. We made sure to show capacity for mortgage +30%. And we made sure to show that evidence for at least 6 months.
    • Expect to be asked for lots of documents, e.g. 6 months - 1 year statements for your accounts, salary certificate, proof of rent being paid, etc. If you have all these lined up and in order, the approval process can be done quickly. Every time you are asked for another document, you've to source it and send it back, and it takes them more days to review and approve it.
    • There is often a lot of panic about your bank statements and what you can be seen to be doing with your money, how much of an eye the bank keep on your spending, etc. From my experience, the bank isn't going to question your take away habits, your pub habits, your hairdresser appointments, etc., unless it seems that these things are hindering your ability to meet repayment obligations.
    • To make our repayment ability clear, we set up separate savings accounts and transferred repayment capacity +30% every payday, so it was sectioned off and off limits. We were saving for the deposit too - and this went into those accounts also. They will want to know the sources of your funding early on, so make sure your finances are organised or that you are able to tell them where you will be getting your deposit.
    • When you're searching for your property, make a list of your priorities, and mark those that you are willing to compromise on. It can be hard when there's two of you and you have different criteria. It took us nearly a year just to agree on an area that would make both of us happy. But we knew of other areas we would go to if the market didn't allow us to buy in the area we wanted.
    • For the first 1.5 years of the search, I kept a list of any property of interest, asking prices vs selling prices, etc. to help draw a picture of what was happening in the market. Towards the end, we were razor focused on specific locations and types of properties, and this list became less important, but it was really helpful as an exercise to .
    • View as many properties as you can - sometimes the ones you think aren't for you end up being very interesting.
    • When you're bidding, identify what you think is a reasonable price for the house but also identify your point of no return. This helped us not to make mistakes, we knew where the line was. This happened with two houses which we thought we had really wanted, but the bidding wars went pretty crazy high. Eventually they got to a point where you may feel "I think I would feel like an idiot for paying that much for this property" and that's where you know you need to walk away!
    • It's likely you will have a heartbreak moment, when you don't get the house that you've convinced yourself is for you. That's the nature of this awful market at the moment. It's going to happen. Just keep telling yourself you're going to get the one for you, eventually.
    • I don't envy anyone who is trying to purchase right now. Still hoping for an ease and for more properties to arrive on the market as the pandemic fear eases.
    • Switching electricity and bins on closing day was way easier than I thought, all online. All you need is your MPRN for the electricity - the agent should give this to you just before close.
    • I think that's all I wanted to share, hope it may be helpful to some house hunters.

Now... that's one part of the journey over... on to the renovation on a shoestring 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

when i was bidding on my place around this time last year i went up in 1k increments all the time, even when the other bidder would throw in 3k and 5k i just went up 1k extra on the highest bid, i never stalled though, literally the minute the estate agent emailed me with the current highest bid i mailed back that id go up 1k. some people will say this is a bad strategy but it worked perfectly for me, house price never went above what i was willing to pay and i feel i never over bid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

3 houses we looked at but went sale agreed before we could bid (so sale agreed between January and may last year) have come onto the market again. One in particular we were very keen on. Thankfully we ended up with a house we prefer (at a better price) but just had a look today for interest.

It really does seem like a lot of sales fall through

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Annoyingly one house I went to view started at 260 (already 15k over anything in the estate and an ex-rental) but went to 280 with other people bidding came back onto the market when the top bidder pulled out after a few weeks of sale agreed but the sellers want 280 now 🙄

If both parties have not signed the final contracts, then no. Even if both have signed the contracts I'm not 100% sure, but it's most likely no also. Any party can pull out of the sale before the contracts are signed for any reason they want. Neither party is responsible for paying the other party's costs.

Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly, but are you saying that the seller paid for the survey report?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s a report to do with a small extension that didn’t require planning permission. The buyers s9licitir asked for written confirmation it was exempt from planning. The buyer separately paid for a survey

Ah ok I was confused when I read it, I thought you meant the seller paid for a survey and I was going to say that was very unusual as it's usually the potential buyer that pays for it. Nevermind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Likely the next person you go sell agreed with will look for that also, if the first solicitor picked up on it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement