Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

I'm interested to hear how efficient or inefficient these new 60-80 Deg C heat pumps that are coming to market soon will be, designed to be direct replacement for Oil and Gas Boilers. Very interested to see what the leccy bills would be lol.

Would like to get off oil but I absolutely love my Effel Oil stove, great heat and miser on oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

split system heat pump diagram

they use fan coils in every room, fed by refrigerant filled piping.

Key problem is that you have to use whatever tariff you pay when you require the heat, so no ability to heat a thermal store or a a concrete slab with night tariff.

Being fan based some folk dont like the blowing

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

How long is a piece of string maybe I just want to get a handle on how efficient or inefficient my geothermal system is. Is there a go to guide to work it out? I've looked at a few guides/methods but tbh at first glance it's complicated.

3000 square foot. B rated. 2009 built and the pump dates from that year too. Detached. Target temp is 22 overnight. I'd like to get to grips with what I should expect to see in terms of kWh per day (with respect to outside temp I know). But average during winter. The geothermal pump has a separate meter so I know exactly what it uses.

Thanks.

Whats the seasonal COP?

Whats the DHW demand?

Whats the airtightness level: do you have MHVR or wall vents.

Whats the actual heat demand per m2 per year on the BER

B goes from 75 to 149 so big range.

A rough, TOTT, calc.

say the gaff is 275 sqm and the BER is 100, then the estimated, (based on an assumed occupancy), energy demand is 27,000 kWh/pa

if the SCOP is 3.5, then that about 7,800 kWh/pa of juice

You need to adjust for lighting etc as the 100 is all in, but its rough guide

• Advertisement

So I have a b2 rated house about 325 sq metre. So I should work off around 32500kw required.

Assuming around 26% of energy usage is in November and December combined, that would be about 8300kw, and a bill of 2300kw with COP of 3.5. So about 430 quid, or 7euro a day in winter.

mine was double that unfortunately 😟 still trying to isolate issue

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have the same size house. Ground source heat pump. It uses about 3500/3700 for day/night for the year so about €850 with current energy prices and that includes "unlimited" hot water also.

325m² is not small. Maybe your bill is around what it should be. You may also have a few air leaks and cold spots which are drawing out your heat?

kcross is your house b2? Your usage does seem fairly close to mine to be fair to my pump!

it’s possible I have got a bit shafted by electric provider too. I need to review the package I have. The standing charge doesn’t look special and I’d say I am average 16cents per kw, with a day night meter.

last bill, 2 months, was more than the 850 you quote for the year though!

out of interest, do you have many room stats? Do you try to shift usage to night time?

😎

Its an A3 actually but I wouldnt pay much attention to that. Its not an airtight house and I have draughts which I should really address, so my bill should be less than what it is.

BER's are just an indication... a bit like a car manufacturer giving WLTP mileage figures but then you find it actually cant get anywhere close to that! :)

last bill, 2 months, was more than the 850 you quote for the year though!

Ooh! I've never had a bill like that... I'd have the occasional billing period up around €500 but that covers EV car charging as well so not all heat pump related. €850 sounds off alright.

out of interest, do you have many room stats?

I do. One in each bedroom and living spaces. One for upstairs. I keep the ones in the living spaces "open" 24/7 as its better for the heat pump. The bedrooms are set lower but its all down to your own wants/needs.

Do you try to shift usage to night time?

Yes, but not too much. Its not a good idea to shift large portions of it as then you will have swings in temp. The key benefit of under floor heating is constant temp. I dont want it dipping too much to save a few euro.

What I do though is I cut the heat pump back for an hour or two before night rate kicks in and I boost it a little an hour or two before night rate ends and then I let it do its own thing for the rest of the day. You wont notice any temp swings by shifting those couple of hours.

I do have the hot water entirely shifted to night rate. It heats it at 6am so ready for morning showers. The default is that it then tops up the hot water as needed but I've that disabled so it only heats hot water on night rate. That will only work if you have a tank large enough for your full daily needs so YMMV there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Im interested to hear if anyone with a heat pump compliments their electricty with Solar PV

We are installing a heat pump and UFH while retrofitting/refurbishing a 1980's house. Some of the bills are starting to give me the heebee geebees!

Orientation and roof size are favourable for a 6KWH system so I'm wondering is it worth the outlay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The problem is you will use most of your power in the winter and generate it in the summer.

Still worth doing for other reasons but probably wont reduce your winter HP related bill by much.

As mr Q

the key thing is the HLI and make sure its below 2 if you are going for the grant, the COP also needs to be 3, if both are not achieved, then no grant

how much floor insulation are u putting in?

thanks kcross. That is useful. I have most of downstairs "open" too, to avoid HP warnings I was getting! A sick pump i am nursing along as I figure it out!!

Likewise I have pump backed off a few hours before night rate, and up for a few hours before night rate ends, I might be over doing that but given the last bill I'm just trying to manage what I have until I figure out the issue or get a replacement in. No matter what way I do it I seem to use 75KW per day, so its just a question of how much I can shift to night time at the moment.

Keen to hear any pump brand or installer feedback if anyone has it (ground pump not air pump).

😎

No matter what way I do it I seem to use 75KW per day

Something not right there! Thats well beyond what it should be. I misread your figures above, your figures were for 2 months, not a year! 😲

Have you had it serviced or anyone out to look at it? There could be any number of things wrong. Sounds like it needs a good set of diagnostics run on it (pressures, valves, pumps, brine etc). Tweaking schedules isnt going to bring it down from 75kWh's... something more fundamental is wrong. Get someone out asap.

75 KWH day sounds like the back up heating element is on and that the compressor is fcuked or some other item like KC mentions.

To highlight the need for the separate meter on the HP that is easily accessible and read regularly:

I do some learning sessions on this stuff and giving a session in Roscommon a few yers ago and I asked the group of c 300 who had HPs?

Of those that answered, I asked any issues?

One man said yes.

I asked how did you pick it up?

Answer: When the direct debit bounced (the 2 monthly bill was 1,200 euro, had been climbing since May, this was Sept.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

excuse my ignorance but what is 'HLI' and 'COP'

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heat Loss Indicator and Coefficient of Performance I think.

Thanks M for this Heat Loss Indicator and Coefficient of Performance

The key point here is that if the criteria are not met post install no grant gets paid. its a very common problem, the former is a design problem, the latter is a heat pump section issue, so the one out of the back of the van just wont do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

75kWh per day is unreal. I think mine uses about 2500 for the year.

Definitely put a separate meter on it. Makes tracking its use very easy and you can see if changes have made a difference.

I have an owl energy meter, not a separate meter but I can see what’s going on with updates every 5 or 10 seconds.

When heat pump is on it adds about 4.5-5kw to the reading. My base load is about 500w per hour, so 12kw, add a bit for water and cooker. So about 48-50kw per day is linked to the pump.

i did think it could be an element, but I believe I have all elements off.

😎

• Advertisement

What make/model heat pump is it?

what is it’s rated output in kW?

5kW while running would suggest it’s firing up an element(s) unless it’s a 16kW+ heat pump?

can you hear the compressor running?

either way, it’s still way too much. It’s practically running 12hrs a day by the sound of things. It needs proper diagnostics run on it.

14kw pump, Dimplex. Yes can hear the compressor. I believe it should be 3.7kw under normal circumstances, plus a circulation pump or two, plus the base load of 500w, 5kw, more under pressure. Someone due next week for a proper look.

😎

3.7 on 14 suggests a COP of 3.78

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Just moved into my new house I built its A2 rated (prelim BER) 2.4 air tightness and hopefully pushing A1 as I didnt have the Solar PV accounted for in the Part L pre BER.

Anyway I have an Joule Samsung A2W and this is a typical day for me. My heat pump is accounting for half if not more of my total energy use. I put a ShellyEM on the heat pump circuit to be able to see when its coming on and for what reason. Also I just checked the unit and in January is says I used 750 kWh....

I know why its that high now... it the bloody half hour showers my two teenage kids have 😡 The yellow line below is when the HP is kicking in and as you can see over night last night the house held its temp so ne need for heating, but then in the morning they hit the showers. Then when they come back from school and training they are back in the shower 😨 Its a political thing here at the moment in that this is our dream house and our showers are fancy 3bar 300 liter tanks so they never run dry and I don't want to and my missus gives out to me if I tell them to get out. The two lads try their best to run it dry but fair play my system can take it unfortunately (they are fantastic showers though!!) But you cant avoid physics and to heat 300 liters of water by 30degs in one hour can take about 10kWh (according to the google machine)

Anyway I am hoping come the longer days my PV system will take some of the punishment.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

A1 @ 2.4 and 300 l tank with pumped showers..ehm

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

2.4 on a new build??

For comparisons last month (Jan) we used 82 kWh for hot water and 181 kWh for heat.

What do you have your hot water temp set at?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Thanks.

Any other company names i should check out for ground heat pumps?

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I imagine I’m not the only person wandering into this sub-forum after today’s announcements.

I’m finding it hard to get an estimate of how much it would cost to retrofit an air to water pump. My house is 2,750 square foot, built in 09, well insulated. We installed oil powered underfloor downstairs and rads upstairs. I suppose the first step is getting a registered contractor and a BER to ensure we’d be eligible for the grant. I don’t think I can stand another year of oil prices hitting near €1,500 for the year!

Advertisement