Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another young woman attacked by a male. When will it end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Greyfox

So your basically saying it's ok for some women to blame all men when they say "men", when some people do this it's disgraceful and annoying and should never be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Of the recent cases, one person has been arrested for the St Stephen's Green incidents (2 of them) and Gardai have a very definite line of enquiry on the Cork attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

I was talking to my brother the other night & he was telling that one of his young girls came home from school & said one of her classmates had told the teacher to fu*ck off, I said what did the teacher do, he said she just turned round & walked away.

Now I'm in my sixties & I'm sure other posters of this age will agree, that if they had said that to a teacher when they were at school, the consequences would have been painful to say the least. There is always a minority of kids that you can't debate & reason with & unfortunately , this group have had no discipline in the home or at school. They have no respect for anyone or anything, the answer in my opinion lies in my previous post.

I assume the logic is that a woman was attacked by a minor. 13 years old does not make a man. The OP was probably worried she'd be torn apart if she called a 13 year old a man...

Which is fair enough in my mind. I doubt many male posters are all that annoyed over the title in that respect.

There are hardly any women contributing to this thread.

It seems to be men talking to themselves and answering back.

But there are female posters in the thread, and most of the discussions I've had so far on the thread were with posters who had female views on the topic.

There are more males on boards than females.. but so what? It's remarkably sexist to assume that some men won't agree, sympathise, or have an interest in the same things as female posters. Also, it's worth considering that the most aggressive, and even abusive posts on the thread, have come from posters which we might guess to be female. (I'm always hesitant to assume the gender of posters on an anonymous forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Looking at the OP's posts on the likes of the Irish defence forces, they're a bloke.

And realistically, if we have this equipment, what actual material benefit is it? Oh we'd have a radar so we could see TU95s. Great... so what? Then we'd have a few interceptors, so we can fly beside them for 5 minutes. Great....so what? So does every other air force along northern and western europe. The Russians are gonna do it anyway, so what the hell does it matter? We should just let them at it. At the end of the day Russia are not a threat to Ireland in any material way. In the unlikely even of there being any confrontation, it will be between Russia and other EU forces, so we will just fall under the protection of their umbrella.

Call me old fashioned but ladies don't talk like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Of course they don't understand it ,they are academics of the gender studies variety ,devoid of any clue as to how things are in the real world.

No common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Maybe that is it, that it was a minor. Fair point.

Yes, it is always dangerous (and sometimes surprising) to guess who is a man or woman, or other. I would not be so quick to assume OP is a woman either.

I actually don't agree that the most aggressive posting comes from posters who you might guess to be female. It might just be pitched to look that way which is just another way of generating hysteria and making women look unreasonable and shutting down real discussion which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

You'll find though that an awful of them have a good act of normality and can be sweet as pie in public and seem like great fellas but they turn the act off like a light switch when in private.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

I actually don't agree that the most aggressive posting comes from posters who you might guess to be female. It might just be pitched to look that way.

Maybe, but in my experience from posting/responding to the thread, that's what I encountered. Perhaps they were males supporting female centric viewpoints. Maybe. I don't really care, because I don't think it's all that relevant. People post their views to boards.. that's enough.

I don't think it's enough to dismiss the thread because many of the posters involved are, likely, to be male.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭zv2

Pfff, that diagram is saying unequal pay leads to gang rape. What kind of nonsense is this? Anyone can make a diagram.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I do think its very relevant.

Of course men can support women's viewpoints and vice versa, but it is also important that real women's voices are heard, and that's not coming across here unfortunately. Anyway, people can make up their own minds on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

I wonder if there is an element of reaction in these attacks to the coverage of the Tullamore murder. These young men will not read or study any in depth articles but may have the impression from social media that males are being blamed for all wrongs. They'll then react in a violent way. I'm not condoning any of the attacks in any way but just wonder if this may be a factor.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

So they look at social media and see men making out that the world is against them and retaliate by attacking a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

The little canadian girl was murdered by her dead eyed english boyfriend whom she came over to visit with in November. She was due to go back to Canada this week. Someone on here observed that he looked dead eyed and over tatooed and was more than likely the perp well hes been charged what a bastard must have been some kind of incel.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Maybe we should all avoid white males with tattoos - scumbags the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I commend you and to be honest all they want is attention making the mother of the house go out to work was a bad decision in our country. making having a roof over your head require two salaries also a wrong one but we cant go back , sadly,.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah you've just described a sociopath/pyschopath

And we know that all men aren't sociopathic and/or psychopathic? Right!?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Why would they?

I was immediately attacked for revealing I'm a woman on another thread about male violence, and accused of "posting dishonestly". So why bother?

My experience of these threads is that most of those posting here simply aren't interested in listening to a woman's view on this. They're more focused in ranting about how "all men are being victimised", instead of focusing their attention on the actual problem that violent attacks on our streets (on both men and women) appear to be escalating. It cannot be denied that the vast majority of those violent attacks are being made by men.

When the discussion turns to what can actually be done to make EVERYONE more safe, maybe more women will engage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tax - Im not going to quote your whole post but I couldnt agree more - all these kids need is someone to work with them. A few years back I took it on myself to help 15-17 year olds from lets say disadvantaged areas (Inner city Dublin) and got them work experience, apprenticeships etc - I got a few of them into apprenticeships when they wouldnt have had a chance in hell of getting a job anywhere and the majority of really got their lives together. I still get Xmas cards every year from them thanking me for the opportunity.

They just need a bit of TLC and I think more importantly a really strong role model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm just saying its possible. we don't know how these twisted minds work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It will end when mental health in young men is taking more serious in this country and in the media in general.

But posters don't actually focus on male violence now do they? No, they focus on the male attacking female aspect, which, terrible as it is, is usually completely taken out of context, and turned into men persecuting women.

It's a very easy argument to assess, just compare the men on women violence statistics, to the men on men violence statistics, then ask yourself should this be about men on women violence, or men on men violence, or just violence?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Assault is a problem for all. Our local tv station reported one after dark yesterday a couple blocks from where I live. Unusual for our University neighborhood, but troubling for all, no matter your gender.

Some have posted in this thread parental responsibility may be a factor. They mentioned training for parents. When contemplating this one of many potential factors, I saw some irony. To drive an automobile you need training and testing to get a drivers license. But there’s no such things for driving kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

As i said about training and education and so on, those who will listen to it don't need it, and those who need it won't listen to it. It is as simple as that.

Same could be said for driving tests. Overwhelming majority of people who get done for speeding, dangerous driving, drug driving etc have passed a driving test and know those things are wrong. They don't give a **** and they do it anyway. Same logic applies.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

To answer your question, it should be about just violence.

Regardless of how you look at the statistics, like I just said, its undeniable that the vast majority of violence attacks are being carried out by men, irrespective of the gender of the victim of the attack.

So what can be done to stop these violent attacks?

Personally, I'm in favour of mandatory minimum custodial sentences for any violent crime - even first offences - maybe especially first offences.

Send a strong message that raise your hand or fist an attack someone, and you're going to lose your liberty, gain a criminal conviction and all the consequences that come with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

On boards it tends to be anyone who self identifies as a woman but isn't a women per say (man)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The sooner Vlad crosses the border into Ukraine maybe the better.

At least then we might have something to really worry about.

As it is the Western World as we know it, dominated by that basket case of a country, the US, is going up it's own hole.

The loons coming out of and even teaching in universities these days, the ones populating huge chunks of the mainstream media, the ones creating yet more NGOs sponging off taxpayers are doing nothing but sowing the seeds of division between groups.

This millenium is turning into a shtyeshow where common sense is going out the window, where all the hard work especially in the latter part of the 20th century to bring equality to all no matter whether it be based on race, gender, religion or sexual persuasion is going to be put in jeopardy.

A lot of the ones involved in modern feminist groups, in race groups, in sexual rights groups, especially in trans rights groups are not interested in equality but want positive discrimination, most often to the detriment of the other side.

It looks like their is actually a mindset of looking for payback.

Yes women are most likely attacked by scumbag, evil and sometimes mentally ill men, but why then does this have to played out by some that all men are a problem.

I don't know any right thinking man that would be defending these attacks and the vast majority would be concerned to some extent for the females in their own lives.

A poster above basically said all men are would be rapists.

How the fook is it ok to say that?

Would it be ok to imply that all women are would be slappers ?

All comments like that do is get the backs up of a lot of men who now think they are being seen as rapists.

All comments like that do is sow yet more division, more polarisation and create yet more instances of "us and them".

I am not allowed discuss …

I'd have to disagree that "training" would have any impact. There's types of individuals that usually are inflicting violence on others, those with mental issues, those who act out violently when under the influence, those of young age who act out violently within a social group, and those with emotional issue who themselves have likely been abused themselves.

The root of the problem lies within the creating of such types in society, so what can be done? Better mental health care, more emphasis on the prevention of child abuse, increased awareness of alcoholism, have no idea what to do with younger individuals and how to prevent them from acting out in a social group, that one seems to be thoroughly ingrained which can make even the most placid character turn violent.

Bottom line, you want to prevent violence then change society.

• Advertisement

My experience of these threads is that most of those posting here simply aren't interested in listening to a woman's view on this. They're more focused in ranting about how "all men are being victimised", instead of focusing their attention on the actual problem that violent attacks on our streets (on both men and women) appear to be escalating. It cannot be denied that the vast majority of those violent attacks are being made by men.

The sad thing is that the bar to be considered "ranting" seems to be rather low. There's been very little ranting on this thread, as opposed to claims about men supposedly ranting. The desire being to shutdown anything that runs counter to the accepted bitching session about "men". The other sad thing is the double standard at play here. You have no problem with the collective guilt being applied to men, or the stereotyping made by female posters, but take issue with the behaviour of some men on boards.

I haven't seen anyone denying that the vast majority of violent attacks are committed by men. It's statistically true. And this comes back to these ridiculous claims that men are denying what's really happening in Ireland. They're not. That's two claims about what male posters are supposedly doing, but I've seen little to no evidence that they are.

The problem I find with these threads is some female posters come into them, post general opinions full of accusations and projecting collective guilt, and when other posters oppose those viewpoints, they drop out of the discussion claiming some kind of persecution. As if any opposition to their views is unreasonable and shouldn't happen. And to add insult to injury, they dish out aggressive pieces, often with insults included, and then cry victim because someone didn't respond well to what they posted.

When the discussion turns to what can actually be done to make EVERYONE more safe, maybe more women will engage.

I doubt it... I've tried numerous times to get threads to talk about practical/realistic changes that could happen to improve the situation, and few were interested in discussing them (both male and female posters), and went back to generalised complaints about male behaviour, or furthering the idea of collective guilt, in that men must do more, but no real suggestions of what that should be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement