Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

I know this isn’t a political thread but I have to say I really struggle with the vote SF narrative. I get the usual suspects have failed and people want change but this whole SF will sort out the housing market and enable everyone to buy a house is just nonsense. Let’s say they manage to fix it, it will be done through individual and corporate tax hikes or weakening sectors like health care even further as they would have to put so much money in to housing.

MNC’s are huge for Ireland, whilst some of their workers take up some housing, their benefit to the economy far outweighs this, I think it would be awful if they packed up and left. I would expect SF to drive them somewhere else who would stick to the new minimum tax laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There is still a lot of catch up required on the building front. You are right that there is a risk of building to much especially if we don’t have immigration but I think that is 5 years off. The biggest risk in the short term is we build the wrong type of properties and end up with a oversupply of one particular type (I.e. 1/2 bed apartments) and a under supply of other types of properties such as larger apartments or houses that a family with kids would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Check out this interview with Julian Brigden starts 12 minutes in. We can talk for 400 pages about supply and demand but I feel this will have the biggest impact on house/asset prices in the future.

Need to brush up on financial terminology

Cpi is general inflation

Ppi is the rise in costs for producers (which may be passed on to consumers)

GFC great financial crash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ireland’s planning history is simply abysmal. To use a terrible phrase there is no joined up thinking, so you get areas with loads of new houses but overcrowded schools and no amenities. Still the people who make submissions routinely get dismissed as cranks.

So have no doubt the wrong sort of homes will be built. It’s crazy, but the system is very largely developer led, and I say that as someone who has done very well from Irish construction.

I don’t think things will slow for a few years either, but inward migration is the wild card. If it continues the market gets even hotter but when it goes into reverse, as it will, there’ll be a problem. If it doesn’t happen for a few years the problem will be serious.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

New to this and said I'd join this discussion. My wife and I have been saving for a number of years to buy a house. We had been paying crazy rent in Dublin city centre up until the pandemic, we moved to her hometown as we were both working from home, rent much cheaper so saving more etc. So what to do now? Surely there could not be a worse time to buy? We have viewed a number of property's recently and the price they are going for is ridiculous. I work in the Construction industry and commute for work now, so I know what a house 'should' be worth. Are people crazy to buy houses that are at least 70k overpriced and sometimes even more? Will they regret it in a few years when they go to upgrade and find their house is in negative equity just to get on the property ladder? Or maybe we are the ones that are the fools, unwilling to buy a house that we wouldn't buy if there was no housing crisis?

Interested to hear peoples opinions. Should one bite the bullet and buy a house or wait and see. We are renting a 3 bedroom house which is comfortable for now so undecided.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

If I was asked I'd say houses probably will be more expensive by 2024, but in the long term it's hard to imagine property can stay so expensive relative to wages over a longer period. But the catch is you are paying rent now, would a mortgage you'd take out probably be quite a bit cheaper than the rent?

It all depends on your personal circumstances and what you think will happen to house prices in the near to mid term.

• If you are renting for say 2,000 Euro a month that is 24k a year.
    • Your age... If you be able to get a 30 year mortgage or will this be restricted by your age if you wait a few years.
    • If you think house prices will become cheaper in 3 years time then you need to work out how much cheaper and whether it is worth waiting or better off buying now. (24k x 3 years = 72k) Will houses prices drop from their current price by 72k or more over a 3 year period.
    • If houses prices increase by say 8% in year 1 then you will need prices to drop by 80% etc...

Personally I don't see houses prices dropping in value for the next 3 years because of lack of supply and the fact that we are seeing wage increases in the economy which will mean that people will be able to borrow more as the LTI rules are based on gross salary. But as I said this is my personal view and others will have different views and no-one will know for sure what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

I was in a similar boat to yourself when the madness kicked off two years ago.

Long term (10+ years), I think it's fairly certain that prices in REAL terms (i.e. relative to wages) will fall. Looking at demographics the "bulge" is currently in the home buying age (birth rates are plummeting and death rates are about to ramp up). Supply is also ramping up at an incredible pace. Interest rates can only go up. Those three factors plus the fact there's a fairly fundamental mismatch between what people earn and what houses cost (Id say 90%+ homeowners today could never have come close to affording the house they live in at current market prices) mean the current price to wage ratio can only be sustained during a period of rapid population growth (fundamentally similar to a pyramid scheme I guess).

All that said we took the plunge and bought this year. Probably paying €200k+ more than what the same house would have gone for in 2019. The main reasons being that, whilst supply/demand factors will probably improve in the coming years, the current mismatch is just so great that its hard to see a short term price correction. More importantly though is wage inflation - it's astronomical. Likely not across all sectors but in my peer group and industry I'm seeing 10-15%+ increases as the norm. I got a 25% increase offered by 3 different companies within a few weeks of floating a CV and my company matched in a heartbeat. It's crazy times. So whilst it seems inevitable prices will fall relative to incomes - in actual euro terms I'm no longer certain things will come back to where they were a few years back.

But then again - what do I know! Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks, a very insightful answer. I just feel everything is gone manic at the moment. Are companies really making that much more money than pre pandemic to be offering employers 25% increases? Something just doesn't add up, for me personally I cant see things lasting the way they are. Is this not a similar situation to the Boom? People could not buy property quick enough. The main difference here is the borrowings are not as reckless. In many newspaper articles the Bank of Mam and Dad was mentioned as fueling houses prices? Surely that is not sustainable. I could well be wrong but I just dont see the panic. Right now is not a good time to buy, everyone knows that. But no one knows the future which is why I think we will wait and see. Our rent is currently €850 per month, so even if we waited 12 months to suss out the market its not too much money wasted. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If third level institute had purpose built facilities to house students, that would surely help with some areas of supply...

I have family living near UL & LIT...the amount of students house(which are left vacate during the summer) is mad stuff, a few estates/cul de sac's were they live are 45% student houses...

Cheers thanks for reply, I guess we will wait and see.

Thank you for reply. Well our rent is only €850 per month. Wouldn't get much with a mortgage that amount. It seems nothing is worth talking about under €500k which seems bonkers. The people buying houses now must be on massive wages? Or else I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you intend on staying in the home in the long term 10+ years, then dont concern yourself with potential price jumps/drops.

Once you buy, the value of the house is largely irrelevant as you dont realise any losses or gains until you sell. (*LTV impact on interest rates aside)

Cheers thanks, the houses we are looking at / that are affordable are certainly not child friendly which we hope to start a family in the near future. So I couldn't see us in one of these house for 10 years.

Yeah I'm not sure. There are certainly some sectors who've done extremely well of late. The wages issue seems similar to the housing one, just so many jobs and not enough people to fill them. How long the boom will last and whether it's all going to come crashing down - I have no idea. Personally, I've never felt as bullish about the Irish job market as I do right now and I can't see it suddenly turning anytime soon. Sadly, as is always the case, there will be many who get left behind.

Bank of Mum and Dad is completely insane & unfair but as the recent change to Finance Bill showed - there is manic opposition to stopping it (Paschal Donohoe warned to stay away from Bank of Mum and Dad (irishtimes.com)) so it will continue to be a major factor in the years ahead. Fairly safe to say the whole thing would implode (and very fast) were it stopped though.

I do agree though €850 a month is fine. It's the same amount of "dead money" as a €400k mortgage @2.5%. And even the EA's seem to be reluctantly admitting that the heat is gone from the market so taking a breath may not be worst move!

Cheers thanks. Well I guess no one knows what will happen in the future. I guess there have been no lessons learnt from our last Boom / Bust. It seems everyone that was renting does not want to rent anymore all of a sudden over the last 12 months. I have a few friends who have bought recently, one bought a 4 bed semi, not in a great area for €745k. I cant help but feel they will regret this in a few years as they are stretched already financially, and they plan on starting a family in the future.

Honestly think this is one of the most common misunderstanding of Finances in Ireland (and perhaps worldwide). Gains/Losses whether realised or unrealised are still gains or losses. If you buy a house for €500k and two years later someone buys the identical one next door for €250k, you can put your head in the sand and choose to ignore it...but every single month for the next 35 years you're paying an addition €900 a month that you wouldn't have to have paid if you waited and that your neighbour isn't paying.

The loss is very real, it's just hidden from sight due to poor accounting!

Yes thank you. I couldn't make out what that message was about, a loss is a loss. Another reason I may hold out and adopt a wait and see policy.

• Advertisement

I think the pressure to stop renting and buy is down to the fact that rents have gotten so expensive when compared to what you would pay on a mortgage and this is leading to the high demand and as a result higher house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

And if you wait 2 years the house may have gone up 250k instead!

Itd be great if we all got a bargain on housing and bought at the right time, but the reality is for someone to "win" a cheap house you run the risk of prices going even higher while you gamble on a drop coming before you buy. That drop might not ever come - or when it does, it mightnt be as big as you hoped, and youll have wasted more money in rent than you save in sale price.

The only sane option is to buy a house you can afford the mortgage payments on, that will be big enough for you for the next ~10+ years. If you buy a "starter home" with the aim of trading up in 5 years you have to understand there is a risk you'll be in negative equity and be unable to. If you hold off and wait prices may never drop. Posters on this forum have been predicting drops for the last 5 years almost (myself included), and yet they have risen higher than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I would agree but it depends on the extent of how much over the asking price the couple have gone, 50k over a realistic 300k asking price could be justified if it gets them out of paying 1200 a month of rent for a few years but 100k over an already high asking price is asking for trouble.

Generally I do see people getting themselves into a lot of negative equity these days through desperation and they don't want to think of the worst case of what happens if they have to sell the house in a couple of years because someone dies, a relationship breaks up, they end up surrounded by neighbours from hell or whatever, if they go to the market and the house is now worth 50k less (maybe even more if its neighbours trouble!) then that is years of mortgage payments down the hole if they are even lucky enough to break even because that 50k is circa 70k of mortgage debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Newrecruit I would be very very cagey about taking any advise in here. You need to do your own digging. You need to look at migration figures, death vs birth figures and also legislation coming in that may come in to sway the amount that our population is growing by or by how many new houses are going to come on stream. As any increase in our population we will need even more housing built. We need at least 100k houses yesterday to cope with the extra 1/2 million people who are now living in this country than there was was 10 years ago. We have learned lessons from the last crash. the central bank imposed rules have stopped housing pricing ballooning even more. Remember we also over corrected after the 08 crash and in 2013 this started to correct itself. Also during that time we stopped building housing as well. My advice to you would be this. Look at your own circumstances and see what makes sense be wary of anyone telling you to buy or not to buy, there is no come back for you listening to some on here who think they are Nostradamus. IMO all key indictors are that prices are going up for the next 3 to 5 years. I have stated this umpteen times on here and no one has come up with evidence to counter it. Good luck with what ever you do just do the digging yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Are you trying to buy in Dublin or your wife's town?

If its your wife's town I would say in parallel to doing all the normal property searches ye need to get all her family and friends on the lookout also, everyone she knows needs to know ye are looking in case they hear of something before it comes to market.

Secondly you should use your construction experience to be on the hunt for refurbishment properties, abandoned properties etc, a lot of buyers aren't prepared to take on a project like that so it narrows your competition.

Maybe the two of those will come together and your wife's friend's grandmother dies leaving behind an old house ye can buy up off the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

+1 to that and another reason we are in a frenzy/mania stage, which is totally unsustainable. People chasing a rising market at all costs, thinking the only way is up and rationalising paying way over what they would have liked because "rents are crazy" and / or " friends/family are all buying".

If you are renting for 850 per month and have a decent savings account, I would sit it out and not play the game until we have at least a year post-covid restrictions for things to calm down, government supports to wind down, supply chains to ease, supply of new homes to come on stream and the economy to find more of a "normality". Remember, construction has been shuttered on/off for two years and housing is the single biggest issue affecting individuals and corporations (by extension) in the State; I don't think the covid euphoria can be sustained.

Not disagreeing with your sentiment - I agree and I just bought! Just correcting the assertion that because you can afford interest repayments mean house prices falling doesn't matter isn't true. It's still a loss. I said that I don't think that's likely to happen in the next few years at all but just correcting the widely held notion that capital losses only count when you realise them - that's factually not true.

Other bit on the starter homes which I think is another very common misconception. Given 20% deposit requirements in many cases and the fact that you're paying down equity all the time. Negative equity (which would block upgrading altogther) going forward is highly unlikely I'd say. So in that regard, if you buy a starter home with the intention of upgrading, you should actually be rooting for house prices to fall! Makes the gap between your starter home and forever home smaller.

It's a weird one but have had to explain to a few friends that the €50k gain they've made on their 3 bed semi starter home is no good because the 4 bed detached they want has gone up by €100k. Feels intuitively wrong to want your asset to fall in value, but for those hoping to upgrade that's the reality. The only people who benefit from rising prices are those with multiple homes and those who want to downsize (and estate agents of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

The loss is very real, it's just hidden from sight due to poor accounting!

Perhaps if you are treating your house purely as an investment. But the other factor is that a house a utilitarian value as a home. What price do you put on having security of a roof over your head that will contribute towards (virtually) free accomodation in retirment. Also mightly hard to get kicked out in the event you run into difficulty paying your mortgage. That versus the (in)security of tenure as a renter.

The utility value of owning the home is perfectly calculable. It's the difference between the rent yield (typically c.6%) and mortgage interest your paying (c2.5%) per annum. So roughly you need house prices to drop by 3.5% a year in the current climate for renting to be better than buying. Seems unlikely to me in the next few years!

• Advertisement

I can't see property prices dropping in a year as supply is constraint and wages have increased meaning people have access to more credit.

Advertisement