Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Nice watch and you're a sound lad Banie but "uni"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's easier to spell than "Collage" cos that's where all the young 'uns on my social are going but all I could find when I googled that was a scrapbook class 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Re the timegrapher, do you use an app or an actual apparatus? Can you recommend one? I'm curious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Yup, actual Timegrapher.

A mate who is a pro was upgrading, so I bought his old one.

This is the badger: Weishi 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Thanks for that - I must go down the rabbit hole of researching these things now. I shall emerge some time in March I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Timegraphers are cool, and from my research thats a pretty good one....I dont know that they are a path to happiness, but cool they are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Am i the only one who doesn’t care about the accuracy of the watch ? I never wear the same watch long enough to notice it’s accuracy and sometimes I don’t bother to even set it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i always set them, but as for accuracy as long as the time is right i dont get into tracking the accuracy, deviation over time etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, I rotate them so generally automatics are stopped. If I'm in a rush I'll wear the same watch twice or grab a g-shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

I've always worn a watch so I do rely on it for checking time so need it to be reasonably accurate. I do rotate fairly often but I wear my radio controlled G shocks mostly to work so the auto's need to be set most of the time at the weekends. My Seiko Orange monster is the only one that is gone pretty inaccurate it gains about 10 seconds a day now it used to be closer to 20 for the week.

Speaking of accuracy just stuck back on the Stowa after getting home, it's not doing too bad I reset it Saturday afternoon against the G-shock. 2 seconds lost in two days isn't bad would prefer if was gaining them though. Will take a week or two of wear to stabilize I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

@Ryath I have the exact same model Stowa as you (well mine is hand-wound) and it loses seconds too, doesn't gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I'm not an accuracy nut, but I like whatever I have to perform to its best.

My Vostok Partner runs at between +3 and +6 per day. The Seagull Speedie homage (I think of it as my militarised Speedie) runs at damn near +1 per day, and the actual Speedie Pro, though 50 years old, runs around +2 - +3 per day. The SKX009k1 does about +6-+8 per day. Never bothered regulating it.

I have a TAG with a good ETA quartz movement that runs about +5 per month. The Aerospace is chronometer certified and in my usage has gained +4 since the start of last September.

It doesn't bother me that something isn't bang on, as long as it is within reasonable range of its design spec.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mine are handwound with no date function, or quartz and I rotate them pretty frequently so accuracy isn't such a big deal for me. The electronic stuff is under a minute a month so within spec. The worst quartz I have gains about 10 seconds a month, the best is still on point two years after I last set it. The mechanicals are all within a minute per day and some are close to 'chronometer' spec. Where accuracy would matter to me is in spotting problems, movements in need of service kinda thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's Australian for University. College is a barbaric Americanism.

My ex used to use atomic clocks at the upper end of the accuracy range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

The diving watch on a diving day. My dive computer threw a low battery error on the first descent this morning. So I did the two dives with my backup aqualand. The dive profile out here has a reef at 25-30 metres and sandy slope back to the beach, so it's a clean exit if you are sensible. I'll get the computer sorted this evening, the bigger screen is easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

great to see a watch doing what its designed for!!!!!! nice sunshine too!

That aqualand is pretty well designed, you get max depth, current depth,dive time, temperature, can set depth and time limits, ascent rate alarm. There's a red LED on the dial flashes and a good audible alarm. They just stopped short of a decompression algorithm, I guess they didn't want the liability. It's solar powered with 4 independent motors. It won't fit over a drysuit though.

The visibility and readability of the necessary is excellent on that watch IMO. Really a well designed watch and we'll wear.

My own pro-master has similar functions but not all visible, I need to scroll through the Digi screens.

I do have a nice inbuilt dive logging option. Depth, temp and time of last 5 dives as well as ascent alarm.

I'd much prefer a quick glance to give me that info rather than 3/4 button pushes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

That is by some distance the best watch on the thread, love everything about it.

After 3 days of reading I'm finally caught up, thanks to the posters of interesting watches and especially to Wibbs' detailed asides, always more fun to hear a story about a watch and its history.

It is well thought out, when the minute hand passes over the dot matrix lcd, the text on the lcd is rearranged so that current depth is never obscured by the minute hand. It logs all dives I've about 80 in it.

That really is an example of thoughtful design and user led experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Just collected this today - Seiko Shu-iro.

Basically a limited run King Samurai and got it to compliment my King Turtle for more formal wear as the Big Pilot is too much watch and for special occasions really. Really liking this so far, nice weight and love how it wears. It comes with an additional black strap which is the same as the one one the Turtle but can't see me ever using it on this but it might work well on the Turtle to match the black ceramic as a change to teh green matching dial.

obilgatory pics

When I learned to dive, there were no dive computers, no one wore a compensation vest and I never had one then, or later. Depth was a bubble moving around a plastic tube dial. Tanks were galvanised steel - 73 cu foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭micks_address

Picked up this to help avoid some itches

Seiko presage

SRPB07J1. Irish seller on chrono24. Discontinued model

Wife got this a while back...defo peek datejust for a lady...36mm and really catches the light. No tool watch here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That’s what we call an “ AD relationship building piece “ !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ordered, nothing big happening at the moment. Have to move some watches on. €100. Bought elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Actually was totally the opposite. I bought it as a last hurrah and a fu to the entire AD waiting list shite....walked out and haven't been back since.

Advertisement