Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Lots of negative press doing the rounds in Mayo recently, seen similar reports across other local news outlets too.

Similar seen in other local papers over the last few days. Then suddenly today what appears to be the usual PR piece of everything is going well.

Clear as day that they badly need support from ESB or OpenEir to help get this back on track. I just hope these major delays don't end up derailing the project. They dont have the Covid excuse to fall back on this year either (hopefully). If targets arent hit come September/August I can see pressure piling up. Lets hope the whole thing doesn't collapse but it really is in a bad state with how behind they are currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It was just before Christmas I think so significantly less than 90 days. Having said that, the DP was installed outside my house in July or August but it stayed at Network build in progress until the end of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Yeah, the DPs only went up in my case a month after we went to pre-order. Good to hear the pre-order window is being adhered to in at least some circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Anyone know what stage this is?

Ducting, early stage of network build in progress. For a lot of people it's the first work they see underway unless there's civils digging required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 pman35

I'm on pre order sence start of January and that's the stage I am on. (Early stage as you say) .Iv came to the conclusion I was only put on preorder just to make there numbers look a little better at that time cause there so far behind. I'm in Castlebar DA. No fibre on any poles anywhere in my area. And know sign of a NBI van sence the survey was done in june 2020. Not a hope my pre order will be 90 days. NBI are a bunch of spoofers i don't believe a word that did come out with anymore.

That's odd. They announced build works had started in June last year in Castlebar:

Are you sure it's not just your ribbon that's had little work? It's a relatively small DA geographically, so they might still pull it out of the bag by the end of April (the DA completion estimate)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pman35

Heavydawson thanks for reply. Ya build works started alright. Last june a crew was going around doing the ducting but nothing since then. No fibre yet up in my area. And definitely won't be going live in April I heard last week from local TD about more delays ahead. But he didn't know much more than that. If I get it sometime this year il be happy enough but it's just so hard to get information on the project. Is it possible to find out about my ribbon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Newstalk's Jess Kelly on location in Blessington with a fairly sympathetic report. (Audio)

No, NBI don't provide details on individual ribbons, only on Eircodes or the larger DA.

A non scientific way to ballpark each ribbon is to check applicable Eircodes in the IA by working through the roads leading out of the exchange in a clockwise manner. There's some alignment between roads and ribbons (n:1), so by spot checking a few address (ideally at the edge of the DA) on each road, you'll get a feel for where certain ribbons are. It's bloody time-consuming though.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

They are still going on about how much work it takes and the surveying process, did they not factor any of this. Joke

Anyone else seeing RSPs disappearing from their service provider selection page?

https://nbi.ie/order-now/?serviceLocation=<EIRCODE>

Digiweb and Sky had been there, and now they've disappeared....

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Same here, Sky and Digiweb are no longer on the list, but still have 12 to choose from on this side..

Yeah I've 12 also (with Rocket / Eir coming soon ), but hopefully it's not an indicator of those RSPs dropping out of serving the DA. I'd pre-ordered with Digiweb, so might check with them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tipp36

Same here wonder what’s going on there then that they have disappeared from there? They obviously won’t be coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

I pre-ordered with Sky today, although I was tempted by Digiweb too. I got a July installation date but let's see what happens with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Digiweb still have it on their site

https://digiweb.ie/nbi-ftth-broadband/

My worry is that they may target certain DAs . It would be unusual and hopefully it's only a temporary thing

this is what I get when I go digiweb NBI section very strange

When I check who to buy from they ain’t there either, wondering have they pulled out from NBI?

• Advertisement

Spoke with Digiweb sales rep. They were as surprised as I was. In the end they said they'd escalate it

Thank you for alerting me to this, I will make sure that it is investigated and fixed urgently

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

NBI changed the code on the RSP availability page yesterday that I believe has led to this. This interesting piece of code was added:

let rsp_dupes = [ [ "15063", "25002" ], [ "25104", "25002" ], [ "25105", "25102", "25008" ] ];  // Groups of RSP IDs where the RSP is an aggregator, piggy backing off another RSP's equipment. Only display one of the group.

Firstly they have a typo, 15063 should be 25063 which is their code for Arden Broadband. 25002 is Digiweb, 25104 is IFA telecom. 25102 is Sky, 25008 is Viatel and 25105 is Pure.

I suspect they have also got mistakes in those groupings. Viatel and Digiweb are under the same group of companies yet the NBI code has them in with Sky and Pure.

There seems to be another bug in the code in that the Digiweb or Sky logos never appear no matter how many times the page is refreshed.

More incompetence.

@NBAiii That's really helpful thanks. I was looking at the page source, and sure enough you can see some ISPs are present, but hidden. Both of the above are from (1) the overall RSP page (2) the specific RSP page for my eircode.

Clearly shows Digiweb and Sky are still there, but hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

You can't get good QA testers anymore :)

...... And they're back! Phew 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Wednesday, 9 Feb 13.30 CR2, LH 2000

Select Committee on Transport and Communications 

2022 Revised Estimates for Public Services - Vote 29 (Environment, Climate and Communications), Vote 31 (Transport)

Eamon Ryan, Minister for Environment, Climate and Communications; and Transport

Thursday, 10 Feb 09.30 CR3, LH 2000

Committee of Public Accounts 

National Broadband Plan expenditure and related matters in the context of Vote 29 - Environment, Climate and Communications

Representatives from National Broadband Ireland

Thursday, 10 Feb 13.30 CR3, LH 2000

Committee of Public Accounts 

Appropriation Account 2020

Vote 29 (Environment, Climate and Communications) - Expenditure on the National Broadband Plan

Officials from Department of Environment, Climate and Communications

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Goldenpanda18

Has anyone placed an NBI order with EIR? my NBI went live on 31st january but i still havent heard anything about my new installation date, From the NBI site it shows like sky, vodafone are available to order with but no mention of eir unless i heard into the "who can i buy from tab", my eircode also shows available on the eir nbi website also, few days ago it said not available

thanks

I want to go with eir also as better choice for packages than anyone else. It’s showing on my side for my DA it’s coming soon and then can order. I messaged NBI about this and they said apparently they need to update their systems and my eir code will show up for pre order don’t know how true that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

We're in the Tipp DA on pre-order and we directly phoned Eir last week and they said that they don't take orders until the eircode is down as ready to connect.

• Advertisement

Yep same here they don’t take orders until live don’t know why though if Vodafone and pure can.

Advertisement