Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Acosta

Looks like the Premier Sport bugs were back in action tonight. For whatever reason they were unable to go back to the studio during the halftime of the Newcastle v Norwich match.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

When I saw it I presumed they didn’t have any studio coverage, but odd to see the Premier Sports commentators seemingly being surprised by the appearance of the world feed half time highlights.

Meanwhile the red button app, on Sky Q at any rate, listed games that are not being played tonight.

I think the studio coverage might have moved to the other match on the other channel. At least that appears to be what they were doing last night. They started the coverage pre spurs match on one channel and then moved over to the Man U v Arsenal game and stayed with that.

A very odd way of doing things. They must only have the use of one studio or are just trying to do it on the cheap.

They have two studios now I think, as a result of the old eir Sport studio now being available to them.

More likely it’s a question of reducing costs and not having to employ two sets of pundits and production teams. One year (it might have been 2019-20) they did run two simultaneous studio productions - I remember because they had John Giles and Eamon Dunphy on one set and Eoin McDevitt and his panel on the other.

Been reported widely today that Discovery has approached BT with a counter proposal for a JV between Eurosport and BT Sport.

There are some suggestions from some writers that the DAZN-BT talks have gotten stuck on the issue of the continued existence of the linear channels into the future and importantly their carriage on BT TV. There is also some suggestion DAZN for its part wants some sort of guarantee from BT over revenue. Obviously this is all unconfirmed stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

That would be intriguing in that much of Eurosport's snooker tour rights would be a good fit with BT, and it would fill their weekday schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,283 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

would be good for the broadcasters but the WPBSA and the game ?

Being behind a subscription would mean less accessibility to it.

i got into snooker by coming in from school, putting on BBC 2 and being enthralled by Davis, Hendry, Ken, Jimmy White, and loads more... the sport might be shooting itself in the foot not being accessible to people in that regard...

Premier Sports have picked up the Irish rights to the FA Cup 3pms and additional fixtures - appears to be a similar deal to what eir Sport previously had.

Edit: Unclear for now if this includes ITV fixtures - the three games advertised (during the build up for Leicester v Liverpool) were fixtures not being televised in the U.K.

Post edited by icdg on

Premier took their time getting those FA Cup matches into their schedule but they are finally there and its a more limited package than eir Sport previously had - just the non-U.K. televised matches. This means there’s still no Irish rights holder for the ITV side of the package which is a pity, although obviously FTA satellite people can watch them Virgin/Vodafone/eir subscribers are out of luck.

The three fixtures:

Leicester v Watford (Sat 3pm Premier 2)

Liverpool v Shrewsbury (Sun 2pm Premier 1)

Spurs v Morecambe (Sun 2pm Premier 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,758 ✭✭✭lertsnim

In the grand scheme of things BBC and ITV games would be a waste of time for them.

• Advertisement

The BBC games certainly would, though eir Sport obviously thought different as they had them for the last contract period. It’s the ITV games that will be the difficulty. It will only take Man United v Liverpool to be drawn together in the semis and ITV to pick for it to become an issue. The people who watch these teams on TV week in week out have pay TV, not FTA, and are the ones without ITV.

I appreciate Premier have only two channels, and a set up that means you have to block coverage to the U.K. to show programmes specifically for Ireland, which never goes down well either. They also have big commitments to the URC every weekend (although Covid has hit that bad). Perhaps a Premier Ireland channel might be a future prospect, particularly if they go after the Saturday GAA league rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

BT Sport have the rights to show the Spanish Super Cup. The Semi Finals will take place on dates between the 12th & 13th of January. Both Semi Finals will be on BT Sport 1. The Final will be shown the 16th of January on BT Sport 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Just wondering about this unable to get ITV. If people are keen enough can they not add ITV under 'other channels' if they're watching via Sky or watch ITV hub with a VPN?

I don't live in the ROI but if I wanted to cover all bases re soccer, I would have Saorview through an aerial, subscribe to Sky, have Freesat and subscribe to Prime Video. In fact here in N. Ireland I already do all those things bar Freesat which is of no real benefit as I have Freeview.

They can watch via Manual Tuning if they have Sky. This involves knowing how and a lot of button presses for Sky Q users (the old number key shortcuts that used to work on Sky+HD don’t work on Sky Q).

We won’t discuss methods of circumventing regional restrictions.

Satellite isn’t an option for some people, and you have to appreciate cable is around a lot longer here than it is in NI (early 1970s v late 1990s) and it is still the established platform for many in urban areas, particularly older estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,758 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I know of pensioners who are very much able to get to ITV on a Sky Q box with no fuss. People can learn no matter how old they are.

It must be an annoyance for people who cannot have a dish but this is no different to when uncabled areas had no access to the main UK channels while those with cable did.

If Virgin media actually cared about their television subscribers then a deal would be done to get BT Sport and Premier Sports on their platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

In ROI BT Sport (and Premier Sports) have a wholesale deal with Sky that means that any other providers have to deal with Sky rather than directly. So it’s a different situation. That deal is up at the end of July in both cases, incidentally.

Reuters reporting this morning that we could be nearing an outcome on a deal for DAZN to buy BT Sport, with the obstacles apparently having been overcome.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/exclusive-dazn-nears-deal-buy-bt-sport-an-estimated-800-mln-sources-2022-01-12/

BoxNation is moving from 429 to 435 (LaLigaTV’s old slot) on Wednesday, in Ireland only. Premier Sports making room for something, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Is BoxNation available to Irish Sky customers though? I can't seem to see where you can

Their website states it's only available in the UK through the Premier Sports pack

Has anyone here with Sky, got a BoxNation subscription?

• Advertisement

My understanding is that it’s still available to anyone who was subscribed before it became part of the Premier Sports pack, but there’s no way to subscribe to it in ROI now. Otherwise there’d be no point in them continuing to pay Sky for an EPG listing in Ireland, which costs extra.

It still appears to hold ROI rights to its events and any live cards are simulcast on one of the Premier Sports channels, so Irish subscribers aren’t missing out on those. It doesn’t have many live fights now anyway.

Premier Sports FA Cup 4th Round picks

Sat 12:30pm Chelsea v Plymouth

3pm Everton v Brentford

5:30pm Cambridge v Luton

Sun 3:50pm Nottingham v Leicester (also on BBC).

I’m paying a BT / Premier Sports subscription for the international cricket, premier league and various football competitions but I’ve tuned in and I’m forced to watch the FA National footsal series. Basically amateur indoor football highlights… London Helvecia vs Manchester from what looks like a college or community gym or maybe converted warehouse …about 40 supporters, the football quality is piss poor, some lad just managed to miss an open goal from a foot out…impressive..

if there is no live sport and they HAVE to show highlights of something, can they not show <MOD deleted> highlights of professional sports people… at the apex of their careers and abilities in a competition that resonates with the public… ? Or… Tiddlywinks from Shitlingthorpe ?

Mind the language. You can take a warning for having deliberately attempted to circumvent the filter.

And no ones forcing you to watch anything. There are seven channels in the Sports Extra pack (four BT Sport, two Premier Sports, and LaLigaTV). Plenty of choice of viewing.

We have a rule that there’s no discussion of anything that happens on the actual pitch (or floor in this case) and that applies here. Take any discussions of that sort to the Soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Times in the UK have reported last night that BT Sport is to be in talks with The Premier League & UEFA to approve the sale/takeover of BT Sport to DAZN. These discussions will take place at the BT board meeting later this morning.

Discovery is also in the running to open a JV with BT Sport as well as part of it's own separate takeover bid.

It's going to be very interesting news to see what happens next. If Sky Sports Extra pack subs get retained for Irish subscribers here without penalty. It would be a very seamless process in the works.

Nobody is forcing me correct… but if I’m paying for something, a service and I don’t believe it’s value for money or I’ve an issue with an element of it.. like others in the thread it’s appropriate to comment on it… if you disagree sorry….

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

But you’re just complaining about a thing you don’t like. I don’t like a ton of sports shown on TV but it’s just personal taste

If you don’t think it’s value, stop subscribing (as I have fwiw)

So this was unexpected given recent day reports, but DAZN is now out of the running for now, BT officially announcing this morning they are in exclusive talks with Discovery for a JV combining BT Sport with Eurosport.

https://newsroom.bt.com/bt-group-enters-exclusive-negotiations-with-discovery-inc-to-create-new-sports--joint-venture/

Argh, so annoying they're not showing the Man Utd v Middlesbrough game tomorrow when it's on ITV and many can't access it.

Discovery/Eurosport have beaten Dazn to acquire all of BT Sports content. Happy with that as my Internet is crap and Dazn would have been a pain in the arse with all the streaming.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/bt-in-talks-over-plan-for-bt-sport-to-team-up-with-eurosport-uk-12531576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Discovery Plus might be worth getting now if they dont up the price

Advertisement