Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Two Johnnies for 2fm Drive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Well 2FM, there go your Dublin listeners from 3-6pm on weekdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, that's one county. Thankfully there's still 25 others in the Republic and about 4 more able to pick up the 2FM frequencies. Though I do feel there should be a comma on the show's name.

"D'rive it (like you stole it 😋)“

Instead of getting rid of Louise McSharry I would have put her on the drivetime show. 2FM has made a stupid mistake putting those two clowns on the show and I know it won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Why are 2fm and the two lads pretending this is some sort of surprise when I posted here a month ago???

True, but I'm not sure how many people outside of Tipp are going to tune in.

If 2FM wanted a regionally produced drivetime show, JJ would have been my choice, but he's in charge of the Late Late Show social media so that kind of rules him out. Plus he actually is a DJ and passionate about music.

Maybe because the Sunday World isn't a reliable source. Anyway, good luck to them on trying to break Dublin... fat chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I could be wrong but they are/were the most listened to weekly podcast in Ireland. Im indifferent to them, but i wont be tuning in. they very well could help bring in some listeners. You may not like them but they have a big demand and listenership to the podcasts and live shows, they've sold out venues like 3 arena etc too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think this is a daft sentiment, how many f-ing culshies live in Dublin and also how many Dubliners have at least 1 country parent. I mean they really are just a version of Colm and Jim-Jim or Dermo and Dave or even Cormac Battle and Rick O'Shea.

The problem with 2fm is music, They had pretty much fixed that problem between 1pm and 6pm. The problem is with the Breakfast Show, Jenny Z and Game On.

Louise McSharry had lost and audience. She possibly should have been given Jenny Z slot, but it is likely that Jenny Z got a pay rise when she took over on DWTS and demanded her own radio show as her co-host from DWTS left 2FM.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hector got a bit annoying and all, but he's actually capable of telling a decent story and being engaging. Just had to tone it down some times. His travel shows were genuinely good. These are just a bit bland and MoR, and for people who like to wear their GAA tops as part of everyday wear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Sam Tyler

I’ve nothing personal against The 2 Johnnies they have a successful podcast and do TV etc etc

My issue here is 2fm and what they are continually doing by bringing in “personalities” to host shows. See breakfast , midmorning and now drive time.

How does anyone that’s not a blogger/influencer/zlisterer make it in radio ? What about all the students studying radio trying to catch a break ? All the genuine radio people up n down the country that can only dream of catching a break like this.

Fair enough corporate run radio stations but 2fm is funded by the licensing fee and should be a ground to nurture and encourage new talent.

They do TV. It's not been massively successful but then RTÉ2 is also hemorrhaging their audience outside of sport.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I completely agree and that has more or less been the problem with Irish radio. Being personality lead as opposed to leading with formats.

I remember Rick O Shea talking over RTEs poetry show. No idea why. Guess he asked for it. Or they just needed a name to host it. Completely out of his depth. Awful awful awful

Lead with formats, not personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭KildareP

I'd imagine though it's going to be a huge challenge translating the success of a 90 minute weekly recorded podcast into what is in effect a live 3 hour daily podcast, albeit with music intertwined. Even if they pad 60 minutes of content into a 3 hour show with music and features, it's still a significant uplift in what they produce today. How do they produce enough fresh comedic content without it becoming tired/predictable or morphing into yet another personality driven music and "features" driven radio show with the odd gag here and there.

The additional challenge, which was very evident when Colm & JimJim or Chris & Ciara were drafted into 2FM, is that RTÉ have a tendency to tone it down significantly in order to play it safe, and it just loses the whole appeal that made them a success on their previous stations causing everything to sound forced and rehearsed.

They already tried it with Doireann and Breakfast, sure she gets huge amounts of followers and interactions on social media, but trying to fill a 3 hour daily breakfast show on the back of viral shorts and TikToks is a whole other ball game.

As soon as it was announced Louise wouldn't be on the new Today FM schedule, I started to speculate that she might be getting the 2FM drivetime show in a repeat of when Jenny Greene left and was then given the drive show. I was hoping that Louise would be back on 2FM, waiting to welcome her back with open arms, but sadly it was not to be.

• Advertisement

If you look elsewhere on this forum you'll see that Louise also wouldn't have been widely welcomed with open arms by everyone. Some saying she was too self important and talk down focused.

Me personally, 2FM can go off air in the afternoon for all I care, the king of radio is back on Today FM. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I enjoy the lads podcast every week, it works well with Maura & Neil too where no topic seems to be off the table. I hope they'll keep it going.

I feel that platform suits them much better than any of the tv, radio or live shows that I've seen them do, albeit I haven't seen a huge amount of their stuff apart from the podcast.

Like others have said it's a big step up to having your own daily show rather than just filling in for a few days. Still you can't blame them for trying, good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Ohh 100% i agree, its a whole different challenge. Whether they can or not remains to be seen, i hope they do well, i have no ill will towards them, but it will be a very difficult task despite carrying an audience built into your brand/show

As I said at the start of this thread, why don't 2fm promote presenters who are lingering away on the weekend schedule for years? Why not give Chris & Ciara a youth focused chat show on weekday daytime for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Was there actually an announcement that Louise McSharry would not be on the Today FM schedule? Why was that - was there speculation that she was going to be on Today FM? I'm just a bit confused about that, seeing as she had not been involved with Today FM at all.

• Advertisement

I had thought to myself that MAYBE it might have been a possibility, seeing that she would no longer be on 2FM. I hadn't HEARD any speculation online about it, but I thought that when Mairéad Ronan announced her departure and left a void in the daytime schedule that Louise might get it. As it is, she is not on the radio at all at the moment.

It's interesting that when Will Leahy was removed from 2fm drive 8 years ago, there was massive backlash, #bringbackwill was trending for days etc but the 2fm listeners of today seem very indifferent to Jenny Greene's removal from that slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

If it's any consolation, she will be on air on weeknights and Saturday nights.

How long more are 2fm going to be using "The sound of the nation" tagline ? Radio stations change taglines every 2 or 3 years but embarrassingly 2fm have been using the same tagline for almost a decade now and it's a tagline that would have sounded outdated in 1979, let alone today

She got support when she was due to move back to night time 2fm, but then they gave her Drive Time -ish slot.

______

Yesterday

One other thing though. Another DJ, who wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea (nobody ever is) who has a proven track record of bringing in healthy JNLR numbers for his previous 2 radio station afternoon shows ("Drive time" as a concept is fading with more and more Work From Home integration), decent enough music knowledge especially Irish music when he wants to use it, good rapport with guests and audience, would have worked with Dan Healy before, is just about to leave their nearest rival and wasn't snapped up.

You know the way that in the 2000s/2010s radio bosses were obsessed with putting ex musicians and Television presenters on the radio? Well it looks like going forward podcasters, Instagramers and YouTubers is who radio PDs will be turning to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I think Blindboy has a larger audience on his weekly podcast

i like the 2 Johnnies - they are mad craic altogether

in our parish on the day of the podcast we milk the cows early and one of the neighbors who used to fix radios and knows how to operate the Spotify downloads the podcast and he puts his telephone into an empty pint glass - this acts like s ghetto blaster - we all sit around and enjoy the show.

a nice cup of tea in the hand and a great event in the parish.

Many is the funeral that has been delayed while the Padre would be listening to the podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

That must be difficult/scary for people who are working away, improving their radio skills and hoping to 'make it' some day, to know they'll probably be passed over and someone else who is skilled in a completely different medium will get better opportunities than them.

I remember reading an article many moons ago where budding presenters were recommended to start their own podcasts and try to gain a following. It really seems like the way forward now but just like not all influencers will be good at radio, not all radio people will be good at social media. It must be hard to get in nowadays.

• Advertisement

Similar in my latte drinking area of Dublin. I get up around 12, lounge around waiting not wanting to talk to my neighbour, he's a bit of a right-winger, I forunately have my speakers set up for spotify, though lately I think because of you know who I should change provider - anyone know if Apple music is anygood - then I send a tweet out about how I am listening to Blindboy.

Latte in hand and nobody but the echo chamber to talk to.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Fair play to the Two Johnnies. This won't be a popular opinion on Boards.ie (where the only acceptable accent is either someone from the leafy suburbs of the capital city or from mouldy slums, also of the capital city) but it's great to see two genuinely hilarious, down-to-earth lads from the country "having a go of it."

They're not sophisticated but they're great craic and the dictionary definition of good clean fun. 👍👍👍 I, for one, will be a daily listener.

In fairness I don't think posh accents are popular at all on this forum. People here have always had a go at Lottie Ryan, Moykell McMulleen etc.... I think people's observation about the two Johnnies is that their kind of hammed up country shtick was already tried on 2fm with Hector a few years ago and it flopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Their podcast producer Maura Fay is an RTE employee. Standard jobs for the boys stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Ah here!

With respect to Maura, she might be able to help get the lads the occasional appearance on the LLS or with Daithi in the afternoons, but I very much doubt she'd have much say in choosing who gets a daily radio show, or any other "jobs for the boys" within RTE for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised with this as the two lads are a bit country for the jackeens who wouldn't know a chicken roll from a prawn sandwich.

Most of their podcast is filth which won't be allowed pre watershed. Will be interesting to see how it goes, probably suits the lads while their gigs get back up and running.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

i wouldn’t agree with that.

Johnny B‘s mother is from Dublin - so that will be a big advantage for the 2 lads.

they will be communicating simultaneously to the culchies and the jackeens and vicer versa

in fact I think they will be a media sensation and I think Radio Eireann are very lucky to have them - I see parallels with the great Eamon Andrews and fear they will leave these shores and become hugely successful in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Great, can't wait for the bants just like the guys on breakfast 🙄

• Advertisement

When will they start?

i hope Noel Furlong is part of the show - he is mighty craic

So how is the new show going to work? Will they be in Cahir and will there be somebody in the 2FM studios in Donnybrook producing it from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I predict this show will be as successful as Al Porter’s show was on a Today FM. It’ll last longer, purely because RTÉ in general and 2FM in particular stick with formats way past their “relevance” (if there ever was any). The best part is as it is Drivetime they can update us in car crashes around the country as they partake in their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Doing it from their bedroom in Cahir apparently, in fairness the lads wouldn't have much time to be trekking up and down to Dublin.

You'd imagine they'll have someone in Dublin pressing the buttons.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

the RTE studio in nearby Limerick studio would be an option to broadcast from..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Expunge

This. Just this. Why, oh why can this lesson not be learned in Montrosia. I can't see this thing lasting that long. Theres bound to be a load of technical fokk ups, if it truly is live, for the first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

This will be some craic lads class tractor slurry pull on it lad take fingers and all

From Cahir, I think Cork is closer. It's right beside the M8 motorway (and used to be part of the N8 route)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They built their own podcast studio so I'd say they're well setup studio wise. It can be produced remotely so I doubt they'll move unless it's for any major interviews or live sessions

• Advertisement
Advertisement