Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

Nice to see that the road has been delivered for the people of Moyross a US-based private hospital.

Looking into that today, I'm feeling a slight sense of unease about that myself. Apart from the fact it came out of nowhere, the company doesn't seem to have the best rep in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭adaminho

jpharvey wrote: »
    Are the Coke bikes still up and running?
    Didn't know there was no stand at the Crescent, would've thought that was a really obvious place to put one.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ya still going and ya the crescent and UHL seem like obvious destinations

The closest to the Crescent S.C. is Mary I . The closet to U.L. is Lock quay. The closest to LIT is Clancy strand!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Crystalsun

adaminho wrote: »
    The closest to the Crescent S.C. is Mary I . The closet to U.L. is Lock quay. The closest to LIT is Clancy strand!

And another thing...Are we expected to bring our own helmet? or is there magical invisible protective shield around them when you mount them.

And if people en masse use these contraptions without helmets , is it not a terrible example to set for kids.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/1220-killed-or-seriously-injured-in-london-road-accidents-over-three-months-a4069436.html

I wonder how many were spontaneous cyclists on a BORIS bike without a helmet, or the well seasoned commuter cyclist with all the gear. From what Ive seen here in London , I'd venture that the former well outnumber the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Crystalsun wrote: »
    And another thing...Are we expected to bring our own helmet? or is there magical invisible protective shield around them when you mount them.

And if people en masse use these contraptions without helmets , is it not a terrible example to set for kids.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/1220-killed-or-seriously-injured-in-london-road-accidents-over-three-months-a4069436.html

I wonder how many were spontaneous cyclists on a BORIS bike without a helmet, or the well seasoned commuter cyclist with all the gear. From what Ive seen here in London , I'd venture that the former well outnumber the latter.

Some people do bring helmets but not many and they are not a legal requirement. Out of 1220 people seriously injured or killed 280 were cyclists according to that report.

Most were because of cars not the type of bike used so its the bad car drivers are the ones setting the terrible example for the kids

Some people do bring helmets but not many and they are not a legal requirement. Out of 1220 people seriously injured or killed 280 were cyclists according to that report.

Most were because of cars not the type of bike used so its the bad car drivers are the ones setting the terrible example for the kids

Don't twist it for an agenda. No where in that report does it say that most of 280 cyclists KSI were because of cars.

Check the officiall report online from TFL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

All categories up, not just cycling. From the article:

“There is concern that TfL is consistently failing to spend money set aside to make roads safer.”

Safer cycling infrastructure not only increases cycling numbers, it saves lives. Graphic from different article

mdmix wrote: »
    All categories up, not just cycling. From the article:

“There is concern that TfL is consistently failing to spend money set aside to make roads safer.”

Safer cycling infrastructure not only increases cycling numbers, it saves lives. Graphic from different article

Thanks for that . .
    However, its the importance of helmets in saving lives that I'm highlighting Coke bikes and Boris Bikes don't advance that culture. Cars ( willl be cars and unless we ban them there'll be no change ( and probably a worse situation when self driving cars come).

Two things can happen when you come off a bike. You grip the handles and end up ramming your head against the road in front of you. Or you let go handle bars and do a superman, whereby you ram both pams against the road , driving force through your radius bone and smashing open the radial cup bones in both your elbows.

You can do something about former , less so about the latter. Please wear a helmet at all times. not because anyone says so , it's because bone is softer than concrete and you never know when they come face to face.

Thanks for that . .
    However, its the importance of helmets in saving lives that I'm highlighting Coke bikes and Boris Bikes don't advance that culture. Cars ( willl be cars and unless we ban them there'll be no change ( and probably a worse situation when self driving cars come).

Two things can happen when you come off a bike. You grip the handles and end up ramming your head against the road in front of you. Or you let go handle bars and do a superman, whereby you ram both pams against the road , driving force through your radius bone and smashing open the radial cup bones in both your elbows.

You can do something about former , less so about the latter. Please wear a helmet at all times. not because anyone says so , it's because bone is softer than concrete and you never know when they come face to face.

Absolute BS I have had plenty of crashes where I didnt hit my head or break any bones. You clearly have an agenda against cycling and are trying to push it with a fake "wont somebody think of the children" argument.
    I did read the article above wrong and it said "A TfL report said that more cyclists were killed or seriously injured as a result of collisions with cars" not most but the article still gives no other info on the nature of the incidents or a link to the report

we are probably starting to annoy people now but there are a million threads about this on the cycling forum where I would be happy to keep going

You clearly have an agenda against cycling and are trying to push it with a fake "wont somebody think of the children"

Well "I" have children and I think about them. It's not fake.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mod note: back on track please. Take it to the cycling forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

jpharvey wrote: »
    the company doesn't seem to have the best rep in the US.

Limericks politicians will welcome them with open arms so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Europe’s newest university town could transform the mid-west (Irish Times)

Ed Walsh

Marking its fiftieth anniversary, the University of Limerick (UL) is once again planning a most dramatic initiative to restructure itself academically and physically as a knowledge-age institution. It is planning Europe’s newest university town on an extension of its campus in County Clare.

The first phases of campus development took place on the south side of the Shannon, the second on adjoining lands to the north. Purchase of land in Clare commenced in the 90s, and, with the construction of two bridges, the campus of over 16,000 students now magnificently straddles the Shannon … one part in Limerick, the other in Clare.

In 2011 Clare County Council (CCC) zoned land for university development and in 2016 UL and CCC commenced discussions to explore how the presence of UL could act as a catalyst for economic and social development, regionally and nationally.

The board consulted widely and produced its plan within a year. The plan was unanimously approved by the elected members of Clare County Council in April 2018.

The university town would be developed on a 260-acre site, as an extension of UL’s northern campus, and be designated as a Strategic Development Zone (SDZ).

While the SDZ lands are in Clare they are in the as-yet undeveloped north-eastern segment of the greater Limerick urban zone. The new university town will act as a catalyst for the development of this neglected area.

**********************************************************************************************************************

The Limerick Northern Distributor Road is clearly denoted as the main access route in the image above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Surely the Greens will have a train station or two on campus before they leave government, I mean they're promising them everywhere else so probably UL deserves mention too. Add to that a multi lane cycle track connecting UL to Limerick, Killaloe and to Nenagh so that they'll be no need for additional road access to UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Ed also mentioned that the new town will have a Marina and a Michelin star restaurant can't wait. That's the end of Enzos for me!!!!

Ed also mentioned they are planning an electric tram between UL and TUS (formerly LIT), so it sounds like they are planning for it without the road if needs be...

"neglected area" it's just farm land it's no more or less neglected than every other farmland in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I see Eamon Ryan is at it again.

Limerick Leader: Phase two of major Limerick road project is put in doubt by Transport Minister.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/734959/phase-two-of-major-limerick-road-project-is-put-in-doubt-by-transport-minister.html

In fairness if you read it his point is that growing more into Clare is bad for Limerick which it is. I still think they should build the road but he ain't wrong on that point.

There is also no actual new news in the article as the road isn't currently scheduled to be built so it's just clickbait from the LL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I wouldn't be too bothered about Ryan or anything he says. He was 100% against the Coonagh to Knockalisheen part too, but was very quickly put back in his box. This road is being pushed by the councils, so won't be canned my him and he'll be well out of office (and possibly the Dail) before it gets anywhere near needing funding for construction.

That would be my view too, he's stirring for the sake of stirring so his supporters can feel good about themselves but overall he'll have very little say in the road.

• Advertisement

This road is probably 2 daily terms away at least so ya he is only grandstanding and it will probably play well in his constituency in Dublin. If I was Leddin Ide be worried about it though.

As for being put back in his box he certainly was and no one should forget the Greens are only the little ones in government. It's FF and FG who have been in power for years and couldn't be bothered building needed ring roads and motorways around Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont think building the LNDR will achieve anything other than more traffic

Unless used in conjunction with with changes to road use in other areas like the promised bus lane over Sarsfield bridge which is reliant on LNDR.

Also these new roads are good for more than just cars as they will have cycle lanes which most of the old streets are currently too small for.

My biggest gripe with the Greens is that they didn't try implement a national minimum standard for cycle lanes on new build roads to avoid the shtty tarmac footpaths we got round Moyross and Monaleen.

You are probably going to get a link that will show you something about induced demand - we have a population of ~5m the majority of it being East Coast/Dublin based so unless we get drivers from all over the country heading to Limerick just to drive around our lovely new roads then the concept of induced demand isn't really relevant to Ireland or the mid west region in particular.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just because the LNDR exists doesn't mean the good people of Moyross are going to trade in their sulkies for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Cycle lanes on the LNDR are pretty useless and I doubt will be used much. Its a ring road. people on bikes have no use for ring roads in general. One benefit of a bike is to go the most direct route. There are not many places, from what I can see, on the proposed LNDR you cannot already get to on a bike using existing routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Do you think the number of cars in the city will stay the same in the next number of years?

Well I will be using that cycle lane going in 2 of it's many directions and ya it's crap but less crap than all the useless drivers on the road

• Advertisement

If the LNDR links from Knocklisheen onwards to/towards UL it would have a permanent cycle lane between the north side of the city and LIT to UL and the canal Greenway whenever that opens up

Advertisement