Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, until @Sad Professor figures out where that old thread went, might as well try again lol.

So. There's going to be a Noonian-Singh on the crew; that's a bold choice and ostensibly, a very reductive decision that suggests further treating of the IP as a sequence of memes - rather than stories. But I'm keeping an open mind: it's entirely possible this character will go the Dr. Bashir route, trying to keep her past & genes a secret; we won't properly know until the show airs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

You'd think if your last name was Noonian-Singh you, or one of your ancestors, would have changed it. You don't get many Hitlers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And here's the poster again.

Sad noises no trailer.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's very JJA esque if you ask me. A non Trek fan might mistake it for a continuation of the Kelvin Universe story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree. Was Pike into horses? Maybe the poster is supposed to be Pike on a horse looking up at his Enterprise.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,595 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They googled "Star Trek" saw the "wagon train to the stars" quote and thought wow that will make the nerds think we know Trek.

Its sci-fi Big Bang Theory style

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, marketing departments in TV and film nearly always make garbage posters; often outsourced and done on fractional budgets/timespans. I'd not assign any conspiracy to an art form long dead, or moribund at best. It's a crap poster but very symptomatic of things.

Singh would be a very common name though, not sure about Noonian. Maybe it was a misspelt form of Noonan and our favourite Eugenicist was part Irish. Plus it's 200+ years ago right? Who can remember the great villains of the Napoleonic era?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Where can we watch this, when its released?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

May 5th. It'll be on Paramount+ which isn't available here yet.

• Advertisement

Um, Napoleon. Arguably a perfect comparison to Khan and the era is named after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,595 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't claim good knowledge of that era but I chalk that period as one where Napoleon was as much a villain for political convenience, rather than a true criminal against humanity. His invasions of Italy, Spain etc. "nothing more" than the reach typical of dynastic leaders you can chart from Charlemagne onwards. Back when Europe's map still ebbed and flowed; it's sometimes crazy to think just how recent our modern national boundaries are.

Actual, honest to goodness genocidal maniacs bent on ethnic cleansing seem few and far between (except for the never out of fashion antisemitism, or anti Muslim programs in Venice etc).

True. He seemed to be a class A shít. IIRC even to his countrymen, as I think, without googling, he led the charge against the Peterloo protests that massacred many ordinary folk (an early effort at enfranchisement within the UK).

I'm not sure the Eugenics Wars were about ethnic cleansing, at least not on the part of the Augments, it was more "we're better we should be in charge" à la Napoleon.

Yeah but Napoleon wasn't that unique for the era beyond being quite good at invading (and also, apparently, starred Egyptology as we know it today with intentional dogs in Africa during his advances there), under the banner of "France" being better than the other abstracted ideas of nations (really just dynastic structures).

The eugenics wars was a question of one set of humans saying "we're literally better than you, you're genetically inferior". Going beyond mere politics. I don't think Napoleon's purpose extended to a sense of French being generally better, as a race. In fact, I wanna say the political structures added upon conquest were comparatively fair, with less emphasis on taking everything back to the homeland - unlike the British empire, say. (though I'm definitely off the map in terms of my knowledge now).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

It will be interesting how they explain the connection to the name? Another embryo? Or a descendant? Before the SS Botany Bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Subbing to keep up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You can just press the Star beside the thread title. You don't have to post to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Had a look at Space Seed and they might get away with a Khan relative being known about.

In the TOS episode several members of crew including Scotty and McCoy appeared to already know of Khan as a historic figure. It took them a while to identify Khan himself, but he was no secret pre-TOS. No-one knew what had happened to Khan, and he wasn’t expected to be on the ancient SS Botany Bay.

So what they need to avoid, is mentioning the Boteny Bay itself or somehow keeping this from Spock.

However knowing Kurtzman, they’ll find Boteny Bay actually have Khan onboard, somehow defeat him (using La’an somehow) load him back onto Boteny Bay and then get Spock to pinky-swear to never mention this again…especially if the Enterprise finds that ship again some point in the near future.

That sounds silly…but I’m not confident on it being silly enough for him…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I know we all have an image in our heads of what the show is going to be like (something much closer to traditional Trek) but neither Discovery or Picard were made by people who seemed to have any proper knowledge let alone desire to be able to make such a show. I expect they will once again do some time travel or alternate universe shenanigans to free themselves from having to deal with the prime timeline's continuity and those types of storylines.

Ms

Yep your probably right. We can only hope they do not do and we get some good live Star Trek. Great to see you found the old thread again. Well done.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I have to say, I quite like the update of the bridge. Keeps the feel of the original while looking new. I'm not a big fan of the DISCO era ships, but I think they did an excellent job on the reimagined Constitution class. Hopefully a sign of good things ahead.

I remember when I first saw this on Discovery and wondered why this wasn't the aesthetic we got from episode one.

It looks great; a good mixture of the original design and something more high definition. Good cast, good production design ... we just need the scripts now.

I think you're asking too much there @pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looks great. Just hoping the bridge is not emotional and starts crying.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks good! 🙂

Ms

Looks nice alright. Hopefully it is not just all about big explosions and save the Galaxy or Universe for a season like Discovery. Hopefully we get good weekly stories now with some character development for the whole crew too that continues throughout the season or seasons.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer! Not giving away a lot but it feels good:

Advertisement