Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Hope the scrum holds as well against Ulster as it did against Glasgow. Greg McGrath is earning is crust, wonder if Tuimauga or Illo will be his back up. I'd like to see Illo get the chance, and he's a good carrier, but Tietie seemed to do ok when he came on.

This wave of front row injuries is pretty savage, last time I felt like this was during the great second row wipe out of October/November 2019. But from adversity, discoveries are made: that time it was Murray. Burke has done something similar this year at loosehead. Connacht will muddle through, but I'm curious - what's IRFU policy on medical jokers? I recall this as an area where there was inconsistent treatment between provinces, to put it diplomatically.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Agreed, Connacht get way more medical jokers than leinster... It's not fair I tells ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dockysher

any idea when the game time and exact date will be announced for leinster heinikin cup games? I know they gave the dates of weekends the games would be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

I have 3pm on 9 April at home and 3pm 16 April away

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dockysher

Thanks, is it on confirmed on website? Just looking to book hotels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭crinkley

I would hold off, it was updated on my subscribed calendar so I thought I'd go book the tickets but its not confirmed on the website and I can't see any other confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named 11 changes from last week. Don't think anyone changed can have much complaints

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS ULSTER RUGBY

Friday 4th February, 20:15 @ Kingspan Stadium

Number/Name/Caps

15. John Porch (48)

14. Peter Sullivan (17)

13. Sammy Arnold (29)

12. Tom Daly (53)

11. Alex Wootton (28)

10. Conor Fitzgerald (45)

9. Kieran Marmion (198)

1. Denis Buckley (201)

2. Shane Delahunt (113)

3. Tietie Tuimauga (4)

4. Niall Murray (26)

5. Oisín Dowling (17)

6. Cian Prendergast (20)

7. Conor Oliver (32)

8. Jarrad Butler (86) (C)

Replacements

16. Jonny Murphy (17)

17. Jordan Duggan (22)

18. Greg McGrath (3)

19. Leva Fifita (6)

20. Paul Boyle (66)

21. Colm Reilly (8)

22. Cathal Forde (1)

23. Oran McNulty (6)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I prefer Porch at 15 than wing, happy to see him get another run there. Great to have Tom Daly back.

Ulster have named a pretty strong team, will be difficult to come away with anything I think, Connacht's bench is pretty inexperienced so would be concerned about what sort of impact it will be able to have.

Can't get worse than last week anyway, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Bar Butler at 8 that's a solid team.

Mildly surprised to Tiete starting at 3, although he did ok there in the last twenty mins against Glasgow and Greg McGrath has earned a lighter shift. Sorry that Illo hasn't been picked but I guess he'll get a chance again soon.

Delighted to see Daly and Porch back, should shore us up defensively and are vital to our options in attack, bringing Wooton back into play. Great to have Prendergast with Oliver, and expect Boyle to come on for Butler in the second half. With Dowlin and Murray the line out should be solid.

The embarrassment at last week's disappointment will be worth ten points to Connacht, they should have fire in their bellies. A lot will depend on Conor Fitzgerald. If he has a good game, I think we can take Ulster.

Roll up for the next ride on the Connacht roller coaster! ;)

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Advertisement

Mack Hansen - from a fateful encounter in a bar in Canberra, to starting at 11 for Ireland in Lansdowne Rd, in less than a year. Quite a story!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Great to see Mack named to start on Saturday, huge challenge for him and Im sure people be watching for any mistakes he might make but hope it goes well for him.

Disappointed Jack hasnt made the 23 with Joey coming straight back in but congrats to Bundee and Finlay for making the 23 aswell.

It's a long campaign, Jack is going to get his chance. I think Carbery has edged this call becasue of the reliability of his kicking. in every other area, Jack is a better player. But he hasn't been up to standrd off the tee for test rugby, and in the absence of Murray at 9, it's not obvious who else could take that role. Ringrose kicked as a schoolboy and is by all accounts good, but it's not something we've seen in bhis senior career AFAIK.

Anyway, likelihood of J10 and Carbery making it through the tournament uninjured = very low. That Jack wasn't released for our game tomorrow is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Delighted for Hansen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

Cooney and Carty would be an interesting combination from the kicking point of view.

The point about Jack not being released, and the susceptibility of the other two to injuries is a good one.

Fully agree with you regarding Cooney/Carty, but the former has put himself out of reach with his public statements regarding the national set up and Sexton. That may have been imprudent or maybe his assessment was right and his public stating of it was immaterial, difficult to know. But that's a story I look forward to reading about when they've retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Great to see TOH and Heffernan dropped from the squad both were shocking. TOH could be release this summer now that he got his 200caps. Heffernan was 3rd choice for Ireland close to 3rd choice for Connacht that will be tough take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I think Heffernan could be with the Ireland squad as cover seeing as Herring is injured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I was thinking the same myself. He would be the only 1 up to speed on the plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Taking pleasure out of seeing players left out of the squad is pretty pathetic!

• Advertisement

Pathetic ? so you want to keep picking guys who are underperforming ? next time a connacht player doesnt get picked ahead of a underperforming player from another province dont let connacht fans complain then

I didn’t say anything about picking underperforming players. I just said that it’s pathetic to take pleasure out of players being left out of the squad- and it is! Neither player has been dropped incidentally.

Fair play to Hansen, some rise. Seem to recall Murray Kinsella & Bernard Jackman didn’t think he was a great signing for Connacht, even very knowledgeable people can call it wrong sometimes.

Mate your weird if you think people are getting pleasure out of team selections

I’m not your ‘mate’ and it was you who said it was ‘great’ to see two players dropped. As I said, neither of them were dropped. In case you’re wondering, yes I do have a source within the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Jackman thought he was a great signing, Kinsella was fairly unimpressed at the time. I'd have more respect for Kinsella's opinion than basically any other rugby journalist so like you said just goes to show that anybody can be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Shehal

I always thought it was a great signing, I was actually so surprised Australia let him leave so easily.

That’s not even a yellow ffs Lowry is 5’7 when he drops like that he’s prob under five feet, what is Sullivan supposed to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No foul play for me. Sullivan went to tackle low. That was ignored by officials. Bad call

Advertisement