Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Not surprising with number of schools, clubs and general population in leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭TRC10

Just listening to BOD on OTB

Why does everyone think Mack Hansen is left footed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Agreed Will be some craic when Mike catt and farrell find out hes right footed Saturday

Post edited by Must love hardship on

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

BOD doesnt watch much rugby to be fair. Id say hes always got something on so just repeats what he hears in the media. He is out of touch with the game in many areas but gets by on his big profile

Doris is from Mayo, Aki and park are Kiwis, Hanson is a aussie with a cork mum.

Where did you get 13 from ???????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bernard Jackman and Murray Kinsella made some good points on Ireland's attack in the 42 Rugby podcast this afternoon. We don't have the luxury of springing a new attacking shape on our opponents for the Six Nations. We might see refinements and better decision making, but our shape won't change. It will now have been analysed thoroughly by opposition coaches who will set up defensive traps to stifle us.

We caught Japan and New Zealand out last November with how well we shifted the point of attack. Japan weren't up to much anyway, but New Zealand definitely weren't fully ready for the wide game we deployed. Argentina were the last side we faced in that series and even though we thumped them, that was done mainly through our work up front. They did quite well to stop us from getting the ball to the wider channels. They hit up fast in the outside to stop our second receiver distributing to the wing.

We'll need to see further improvements in order to get the best from our outside backs. The other sides will be well prepared for us.

Just seen Farrells comments on Joeys selection ahead of Carty. Essentially he’s saying that as long as Carbery is fit he is golden to get the spot. Must be really disheartening for any of the other 10’s to have heard that today. “Sorry boys don’t care what you’ve been doing while Carbery has been broken for the last 2 years but Carbery’s got the spot”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It is stupid! Carberry is not going to take Ireland far in a world cup. Fortunately, Healy and Crowley will be right up his ass in the neat future.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

It will certainly be interesting to see how the other nations adapt to Ireland. But the current attacking shape is designed to get around the rush defence, it really all boils down to ruck speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

The man's been an Important part of 2 (is it 3)of our most famous wins vs nz and is only 26. Like I don't think he should be starting for munster automatically never mind ireland but ti say he can't take us far is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That’s, at best, slightly disingenuous tho. Here’s what he actually said, from Murray Kinsella:

He’s essentially saying

1. Carbery’s been in camp plenty so knows the plays and what they’re trying to achieve
    2. He covers more positions than the alternatives (which is obviously important for the bench spot) and
    3. He’s gone well in training.

The 2nd point in particular is a real point of differentiation for Carbery over the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yes, yes, yes, that's exactly what he said.

I hope you're suitably outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's press conference waffle.

Would you feel better if he had just said they think Carbery is the better player? Because that's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭irelandrover

This is strange to me. Ireland brought a new game against Japan. They varied it a little and beat NZ.

Argentina stopped that game and Ireland adapted and beat them in a different way.

So three games and three different ways of playing. One was attacking through the backs, one was through the forwards and one was a mix of both.

For once feel Ireland do t have a set way of playing and can adapt based o the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

No keen to reach for the "T" word for what is a fairly harmless opinion. Generally I'd say a good percentage of rugby fans agree with it, but anyway.

From a Connacht point of view I. Not sure what to make of the Hansen selection, thinking of how badly rhe 6 nations went for Lowe last year after he was dropped in, I don't know of a Connacht player would be able to work his way back in. Especially when you see the media myth that's developed about how bad Carty apparently was in the world cup.

I'd echo a few people who have said the center discussion is getting tiresome. We just have 3 team good players, Bundee has gotten back to his best in the last year I think after slipping just a little for a period.

I think it's one of the most exciting packs we've ever put out, ball players and power everywhere. Really can't wait for Saturday!

To be fair Jameslowe made at least 1 awful read every game which cost a try. Ringrose and henshaw play their best rugby when Bundee is a 12. You should be happy there are more Connacht born players (doris) then munster and ulster born players have starting combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Not sure I would agree with the assessment of Jackman and Kinsella. Argentina were shooting up but we were punching holes in them through the forwards all afternoon. There just wasn't the need to get the ball out the back all that often.

The other obvious factor was the starting 9 and 10 in comparison to the other 2 games. Night and day.

The reality is that you earn the right to go wide and if we are as dominant up front as we were in the autumn I don't think Wales will be stopping us getting to the edge whether they know it's coming or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

No why? it was taken down. the IRFU made him do another after to upload on their YouTube channel. Channel 4 did another video of his best bits after it was removed. Jim Hamilton was one of the few who highlighted this, Irish media ignored it like the always do. Anyone watching channel 4 live would have seen it too. But at least the edited version of it worked on people like you. I still think it sounds awful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He definitely has had some excellent defensive contributions. But I think it’s fair to say he’s had some lapses too. For me, it’s his work rate that’s as big a worry. We’ve seen him switch off on occasion.

The one he picks off for the intercept try vs the Ulster scrum is the kind of thing I think could almost always ends up a try at the other end at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Look at the first gif. On first viewing, it is an excellent scramble tackle. Then watch it again and ask, why does he end up in the position to need a scramble tackle at all? Because he's in no man's land when the pass comes out. There's loads of cover but he's marking no-one. He does very well to rescue it, in fairness but he's all over the shop positionally.

I think there's plenty of grounds to think he might be exposed, it's not just about getting stepped by Sheehan... but then Farrell spent years as a defence coach so he should know what he's at.

And if he misses a tackle, so what? He'll work on it and improve, like Lowe did, like Earls did, like they all did.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

I marginally prefer players who get in through residency than the granny rule...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Braindead Gorilla

You make no apologies? You know 88 people on Utoya have died due to people like yourself holding fast to the white is right ideology. You’re probably a little hard man that read 8 Chan ten years and spread your ideology across the rugby boards to intimidate confuse and mislead children. And now hold fast to it? Making it seem like it’s some 50-50 call? Nice username BTW - is that designed to belittle or mock people who have a conscience or have suffered grief in any way? Don’t belittle the issue you have spread across rugby boards for the last ten years you fool.

Jesus I didn't agree with the guy but not wanting rugby players to be able to change country to "white is right" is some leap. Hansen is white ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭The Guru 123

Not a rugby fan at all but will watch the game Saturday. But just been reading these last few pages. I would have thought it wasn't an outrageous opinion to say you'd prefer to have Irish players playing for Ireland than guys that qualified through no reason other than playing here for 3 years?

To take the example to the extreme would people have any problem if the full team was made up of 15 South Africans/Aussies/New Zealanders that have played here for 3 years?

And before anyone says it I'm not questioning Aki or Lowe or all the other guys dedication or commitment to playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Doris is from Mayo but I’m pretty sure he played all of his rugby for Blackrock before Leinster - in rugby terms he’s a product of Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say people would have an issue with that because it would mean our systems aren’t working. Ideally all our provinces would be using lads born and bred within their own province and be competing at the top with them but that’s an unrealistic thing so we need to prop up in certain areas at certain times. If those players brought in can do a job for Ireland then most won’t have a particular issue with it, personally I’ve no beef with someone who comes, works and pays their taxes here becoming part of the system. It’s maybe not ideal but nothing is.

Is that how it works? Knox is a munster product so is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Eh no?

Was Knox playing rugby in Munster since he was 12? Because Doris was in Leinster.

Stupid analogy

Advertisement