Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ratracer

In fairness @[Deleted User] , the very poor drawings and ambiguity given about the design, and the way separation will be achieved on the one-way section and the narrow 2m width shown, make that section unusable to the Emergency Services. So the claims from some of the pro-cycling lobby regarding them being able to use it, because that’s what happens elsewhere, is just not true as it stands! Of course it might be able to be tweaked, but like everyone else from the elected councillors to the various lobby groups, nobody except the council exec and their team of engineers are being told anything of the potential finish of the route. As I’ve said here, they never wanted it and IMO have designed it to fail.

Mind you, a lot of people who really couldn’t give a toss about the ES at any other time seem happy to grasp it as a good excuse to push for No!

Zero argument it not being the best design possible, but then its a trial. I don't know of anyone, for or against, who thinks its a perfect design

The phrase "perfect can't be the enemy of good" is applicable here. For the purpose of a trial its not a bad proposal at all. Its not perfect, it has issues, but for a trial, if this is the best that can be done, then so be it. The data collected during the trial will show exactly what works, what doesn't and where they need to do more work e.g. the one way section may require CPO's or some other alternative design

As a final design, no, I don't think anyone would accept this as a proposal without significant modifications e.g. crossing points, additional disability parking etc etc etc

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't trial it

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Weekends are very different too... I was down there a couple Saturdays back at 5:30 the car park was full but loads coming and going so a space could be got quick enough... On the prom was the same way...

Sorry DaCor, This is a pretty bad design with no parameters for success or failure... I think the cycle lane is the wrong place that is my fundamental problem with the whole design...

I believe there need to be substantial investment but I find this trail so flawed starting off that it will be detrimental...

What it is set up for is to cause division...

By the way I think when these submissions come in we should also get a report of the locations of the IP addresses from where they are coming from...

Changes coming to Parkmore with €450k to be spent on pedestrian, cycle and public transport facilities between the junction of Monviea Road and Parkmore Road, and Parkmore Business Park.

• €200 thousand will go towards introducing signal junctions to provide priority to bus lanes on the Monivea Road and Doughiska Road, while the existing pedestrian and cycle tunnel will also be upgraded.
    • The priority junction at the L7107 and the N83 will be upgraded under a separate €100,000 project – this will also see a localised reduction in the speed limit and the creation of a pedestrian crossing.
    • A €10,000 investment will also enhance bus and bicycle access to Ballybrit Racecourse, and will upgrade pedestrian and cycle access to Boston Scientific and HP from the Tuam Road.

Regarding the second item above, anyone know where the L7107 is? I'm wondering if its a typo and should it be the L7101, which is the main Parkmore road?

• Advertisement

By the way I think when these submissions come in we should also get a report of the locations of the IP addresses from where they are coming from...

You should ask for that

Here's a piece from a few weeks back. I think it serves as a good reminder that once its safe to travel, a lot of kids and parents will choose an alternative to the car. This in turn frees up capacity for others who have no option but to drive. A win-win all round if you ask me

Some news on the progression of the N59 works

The N59 Clifden to Maam Cross to Oughterard project was identified in the last national development plan as a key piece of infrastructure to be developed to planning, design and construction. This major project was refused planning approval by An Bord Pleanála in 2016. However the Clifden to Maam Cross section of the project was reactivated in 2020 and is in the NDP 2021-2030. An initial strategic assessment report was submitted to the Department of Transport in April 2021 and an updated report was submitted in November 2021. It is expected the report will be with the Minister for review and decision this year on whether the project will move to the next stage.

The N59 Maam Cross to Oughterard component of the original scheme, comprising 15 km of single carriageway, is now being delivered as a series of minor improvement schemes, the first of which, Maam Cross to Bunakill, was completed in July 2021. While this project is not being progressed in 2022, it will be considered for advancement next year.

Farmers are objecting to the Galway section of the Dublin-Galway greenway.....before the route is even known

You couldn't make this stuff up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

General (not Galway-specific) point moved to the Greenway thread instead.

• Advertisement

Do you expect any different...

Route select it is specific farmers problem until then its is every farmer problem... Walkers caused havoc before the cyclists got there...

Walkers caused havoc before the cyclists got there...

We really need to get "right to roam" sorted out but thats a topic for another thread

We have explained this numerous times

Blackrock Dublin has a population density of 4,341/km².

Galway has a population density of 1,475/km².

So lets compare the what these densities mean... Look at Blackrock, Dublin... Higher volume of buildings which give shelter (again Population Density)... Compare that to Salthill Prom which is wide open... This is a chalk and cheese comparison... We are talking 3 times the Population Density... 3 times farther to get from one place to another.

I would have complete ban on all cycling infrastructure until this stopped...

Halt on everything... I would halt the pedestrian bridge as well... Everything..

A vast majority of people in the city want it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

So basically if you didn't get what you wanted you'd throw a tantrum and try to punish everyone? Did you leave school in 1st class?

And I would think most of the city want to not be constantly sitting in traffic. How it's done is only important to people closed to anything but their chosen method of transport. I would think the obvious answer is to pick solutions that have been shown to be most likely to move people around more efficiently.

A vast majority of people want to win the lotto, means nothing though

At the end of the day this road still has multiple hurdles to overcome

1. Judicial review
    2. Appeals to the SC
    3. Appeals to the ECJ
    4. Public spending code assessment (which is getting tougher to get projects of this type past due to environmental assessment criteria)
    5. There was something else, but I can't remember it at the moment

So yeah, it'll be another 4-7 years before it even gets to PSC assessment, lets say worst case, 7 years, then 1 year PSC assessment, 1 year cabinet approval, 1 year tendering, 4 years fencing/ground prep/construction/safety review, so even if it clears all hurdles, you are looking at around 2035.

At this stage, the next GTS review should be proceeding on the basis the GCRR is not going to happen, design the city with this in mind, then if the GCRR actually happens its a nice little bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Come on people. This can't be a surprise to anyone! ABP approved this just to wash their hands of a responsible decision. It was always going to go and keep going to the highest level of judicial review.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The idea of stopping the clocks for all transport related projects and repairs in the City because a judicial review is been planned for one of the projects is such childish nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭serfboard

When are we expecting the Salmon Weir bridge to be closed to traffic does anyone know? This year or next or later?

The new bridge is planned to open in Nov this year, but I'm guessing it will be late, likely Mar 2023.

The cross city link is with ABP at the moment and a decision is due in Mar, but that will also likely be late given how back-logged ABP are

Once the cross city link is approved, tendered and awarded, it will take 12-18 months to implement but I'm guessing they will restrict traffic right at the beginning of the works.

the cross city link is the biggest gain in terms of PT journey times so they'll likely want to get the benefit out of that as soon as possible

Its looking like this will be a big event this Sunday, loads of interest

Its not a requirement, but you can register at the link below

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Salthill has a density of over 4,000/square kilometre. That is based on area of 0.9 square kilometres and a population of 3,650.

Sources:

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-citys-population-just-80000/

I’m not saying the two places don’t have differences, but the population density is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And local density isn't really the big issue for either Blackrock or Salthill, as they are destinations that attract people from way beyond their own environs.

Get a bit serious....

That only covers 250 meters of this proposed plan... That is about 1/10th of the distance, that is highly selective picking...

So if this area is so high density following that logic this cycle lane would be far more suited to be in Dr Mannix road then...

Claddagh is over 3,000/square km and Rockbarton is around 2,750/ square km. The point is though, if you’re going to make comparisons between the population density in one place and another, do it honestly.

Again proving my point about Dr Mannix road... Claddagh is not near the section of Prom under dispute. Rockbarton populated area isn't near the Prom...

These have to be the selective areas of higher population density... So why aren't you pushing for a cycle lane on Dr Mannix Rd and linking it to Millars Lane... Should be used far more by schools, this is the objection, School kids get very little benefit from the proposed cycle lane when going to and from school...

We are building a Super School site and instead of concentrating in getting as much cycle lane infrastructure around that and connecting it to the main populated areas in Galway, you are pushing for deeply divisive cycle lane on the Prom..

Sorry but this doesn't look one how we are going to bring up a generation of cyclists but more about self grandising now... The Prom is not a very good route for going to and from work... It is not in the heart of a population area and doesn't deliver to a major place of work except town and even at that there are far shorter routes in many cases. It is the most exposed road in Galway City which will curtail usage... Simple Common Sense...

Personally I think you could ask for far more money, join it with other initiatives and could get a lot more... Know many people in Galway who absolutely detest the way this has gone about and are very anti cycling over it... Sorry but this whole thing was very divisive and there will be a lot of tax payers demanding that less of their money be spent on cycling infrastructure...

They will use the pathetic usage numbers for cycling and claim money could be better spent on other ways like Public Transport, Walking, motor/electric bikes...

A lot of the prom and the proposed route is in the Claddagh electoral division, that’s why I mentioned it.

I actually don’t think the cycleway is going to be that useful to me or my family and I absolutely agree that the emphasis should be on safe routes to schools. I would 100% prefer a plan that focused on that. So I’m not pushing the cycle way myself. I think there are pros and cons and I also think that a trial is a good way to get more information about what works and what doesn’t.

I only responded to your point about population density because I’m an insufferable pedant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I think what you propose here should be done regardless CowboyTed, its not about 1 or the other.

Lots of other places in City like the N59 Newcaste /Dangan, like the Thomas Hynes and Siobhan McKenna should both have cycle paths like that on the SQR/BOD. Ballybane Road same.

The moneys involved are pretty irrelevant for walking and cycling stuff, especially when its looking like it will be at least 1 BILLION Euros for 18km of ring road with current inflation - now thats big money!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement